It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 1:50 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Any suggestions on improving this ebook cover?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:46 pm  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 21, 2015
Posts: 220
Location: Itasca, Illinois
GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Linux
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level



It's for a suspense novel. Thanks.


Attachments:
SAVINGBABYFINAL400X600.jpg
SAVINGBABYFINAL400X600.jpg [ 295.05 KiB | Viewed 2901 times ]

_________________
"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong." --Oscar Wilde
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Any suggestions on improving this ebook cover?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:09 pm  (#2) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14218
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
Maybe some color in the hands.
Attachment:
SAVINGBABYFINALwallace.png
SAVINGBABYFINALwallace.png [ 497.85 KiB | Viewed 2894 times ]

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Any suggestions on improving this ebook cover?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:45 pm  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 16, 2012
Posts: 4271
Location: Göteborg, Sweden
iggy: was the original picture of then hands that grainy? in my opinion, the grainy texture works just fine on the background and okay on the adult hand, but doesn't look good at all on the baby hand. i would have tried to change that, if it was possible, maybe also pull it down a bit on the adult hand.

_________________


Top
 Post subject: Re: Any suggestions on improving this ebook cover?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:38 am  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 21, 2015
Posts: 220
Location: Itasca, Illinois
Wallace wrote:
Maybe some color in the hands.
Attachment:
SAVINGBABYFINALwallace.png


Thanks Wallace. First of all I'm amazed that you can do that so well, but I kind of like the blueness of it all. It's different.

_________________
"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong." --Oscar Wilde


Top
 Post subject: Re: Any suggestions on improving this ebook cover?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:43 am  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 21, 2015
Posts: 220
Location: Itasca, Illinois
AnMal wrote:
iggy: was the original picture of then hands that grainy?


Yes, that's the orignal photo.

AnMal wrote:

in my opinion, the grainy texture works just fine on the background and okay on the adult hand, but doesn't look good at all on the baby hand. i would have tried to change that, if it was possible, maybe also pull it down a bit on the adult hand.


Okay. Thanks.

_________________
"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong." --Oscar Wilde


Top
 Post subject: Re: Any suggestions on improving this ebook cover?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:58 am  (#6) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14218
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
What do you think of something like this.
Attachment:
book.png
book.png [ 475.19 KiB | Viewed 2781 times ]

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Any suggestions on improving this ebook cover?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:10 pm  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 21, 2015
Posts: 220
Location: Itasca, Illinois
Wallace wrote:
What do you think of something like this.
Attachment:
book.png


That's great, Wallace, but you never see ebooks angled like that on the big sites (Amazon etc.). At least I don't. Thanks.

_________________
"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong." --Oscar Wilde


Top
 Post subject: Re: Any suggestions on improving this ebook cover?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:26 pm  (#8) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14218
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
iggy wrote:
That's great, Wallace, but you never see ebooks angled like that on the big sites (Amazon etc.). At least I don't. Thanks.


Thanks.
Why not, as long as they fit the required size, you should be able to use a preview like that?
You could start a new trend for ebook preview image display. :mrgreen:

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Any suggestions on improving this ebook cover?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:05 pm  (#9) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 21, 2015
Posts: 220
Location: Itasca, Illinois
Wallace wrote:
iggy wrote:
That's great, Wallace, but you never see ebooks angled like that on the big sites (Amazon etc.). At least I don't. Thanks.


Thanks.
Why not, as long as they fit the required size, you should be able to use a preview like that?
You could start a new trend for ebook preview image display. :mrgreen:


And to think that trend started here! :mrgreen:

_________________
"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong." --Oscar Wilde


Top
 Post subject: Re: Any suggestions on improving this ebook cover?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:09 am  (#10) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14218
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
iggy wrote:
Wallace wrote:
iggy wrote:
That's great, Wallace, but you never see ebooks angled like that on the big sites (Amazon etc.). At least I don't. Thanks.


Thanks.
Why not, as long as they fit the required size, you should be able to use a preview like that?
You could start a new trend for ebook preview image display. :mrgreen:


And to think that trend started here! :mrgreen:

:hehe

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Any suggestions on improving this ebook cover?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:29 am  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
I like the look of that book angled... very good wallace

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Any suggestions on improving this ebook cover?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:18 am  (#12) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14218
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
molly wrote:
I like the look of that book angled... very good wallace

Thanks Molly.
At least it looks like a book, instead of just a flat image of a book cover.

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Any suggestions on improving this ebook cover?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:28 pm  (#13) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Posts: 697
Are you in love with the green?

I'd suggest using the complementary colour, and maybe throw in a gradient ad a shaded fill to punch it a bit:
Attachment:
sb.jpg
sb.jpg [ 102.67 KiB | Viewed 1587 times ]


Possibly a different title font - possibly something like http://www.derekweathersbee.com/franchise/
Attachment:
sb2.jpg
sb2.jpg [ 98.04 KiB | Viewed 1586 times ]


-Rob A>

_________________
Image
Fantasy Cartography and Mapping by RobA


Top
 Post subject: Re: Any suggestions on improving this ebook cover?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:44 pm  (#14) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 21, 2015
Posts: 220
Location: Itasca, Illinois
RobA wrote:
Are you in love with the green?

I'd suggest using the complementary colour, and maybe throw in a gradient ad a shaded fill to punch it a bit:
Attachment:
sb.jpg


Possibly a different title font - possibly something like http://www.derekweathersbee.com/franchise/
Attachment:
sb2.jpg


-Rob A>


Thanks Rob. I am in love with the green. I actually started with red and it's a nice combo with the blue but the green was more optimistic than the red. Since the book deals with child jeopardy I didn't want to scare anybody off, especially since there's nothing graphic in my book. I considered a gradient too (I like the way you did the two words separately) but just like the way the green looks. I often like book covers that have lots of open space and simple text. (Sometimes you need more for sure but this one just appeals to me the way it is.) And the Franchise is nice but I like the cleaner lines of the Bebas Neue.

PS. Went to your site. Very nice!

_________________
"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong." --Oscar Wilde


Top
 Post subject: Re: Any suggestions on improving this ebook cover?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:23 pm  (#15) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Posts: 697
Quote:
Thanks Rob. I am in love with the green. I actually started with red and it's a nice combo with the blue but the green was more optimistic than the red. Since the book deals with child jeopardy I didn't want to scare anybody off, especially since there's nothing graphic in my book. I considered a gradient too (I like the way you did the two words separately) but just like the way the green looks. I often like book covers that have lots of open space and simple text. (Sometimes you need more for sure but this one just appeals to me the way it is.) And the Franchise is nice but I like the cleaner lines of the Bebas Neue.

Sounds like you know what you like and what you want :) stick to it!
Quote:
PS. Went to your site. Very nice!


Thanks! If you ever need a map for a book keep me in mind :hehe

-Rob A>

_________________
Image
Fantasy Cartography and Mapping by RobA


Top
 Post subject: Re: Any suggestions on improving this ebook cover?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:37 am  (#16) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 21, 2015
Posts: 220
Location: Itasca, Illinois
RobA wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Rob. I am in love with the green. I actually started with red and it's a nice combo with the blue but the green was more optimistic than the red. Since the book deals with child jeopardy I didn't want to scare anybody off, especially since there's nothing graphic in my book. I considered a gradient too (I like the way you did the two words separately) but just like the way the green looks. I often like book covers that have lots of open space and simple text. (Sometimes you need more for sure but this one just appeals to me the way it is.) And the Franchise is nice but I like the cleaner lines of the Bebas Neue.

Sounds like you know what you like and what you want :) stick to it!
Quote:
PS. Went to your site. Very nice!


Thanks! If you ever need a map for a book keep me in mind :hehe

-Rob A>

Absolutely! And I sent the link of your site to a friend who is always sending me these maps of games he's playing. I said: "This guy probably made some of the maps in your games!"

_________________
"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong." --Oscar Wilde


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group