It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 4:50 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Problems with v2.8 installation
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:36 pm  (#1) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: May 07, 2012
Posts: 3
GIMP Version: 2.6.11
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 7 professional
GIMP Experience: Advanced Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
None that I'm aware of

List any ERROR messages you received:
Multiple DLLS missing



Good evening,
This is my first post here, I'm not sure if this is where I should ask this so forgive me if it is.
I just obtained the long awaited V2.8 and installed it. When I started it I was flooded with errors about missing DLLs. I checked and found that all of DLLS were in the gimp folder except 2 or 3, which I found and added. I tried registering the mscreant DLLs (using regsvr) and had the same results when I stared it again. I am not in any way new to gimp but I am wondering if I need to install something else?
The DLLS that it's asking for are:

libtiff3.dll
libpng14-14.dll
libgimpui-2.0-0.dll
libgimpui-2.0-0.dll (again)
libgimpui-2.0-0.dll (again)
libpng14-14.dll (again)
libgimpui-2.0-0.dll (again)
libgimpui-2.0-0.dll (again)
libgimpui-2.0-0.dll (again)
Al of these DLLs are present, after dismissing all of the errors it seems to start and work although I haven't tried but a small fraction of the capabilities.

I would be very grateful if someone could tell me what else I need. By the way, it always suggests that I reinstall the program, which I have done to no avail.


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Problems with v2.8 installation
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:59 pm  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
just to be sure you downloaded gimp from http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html or some other place ?

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Top
 Post subject: Re: Problems with v2.8 installation
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:05 pm  (#3) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: May 07, 2012
Posts: 3
I have the official one from sourceforge through the gimp homepage.
Perhaps I should also add that I got the same results every time I tried to install all of the versions of 2.7, official and otherwise. The last version that I can get to work is 2.6.12


Top
 Post subject: Re: Problems with v2.8 installation
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:27 am  (#4) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16175
What it sounds like it is doing is finding multiple dll files probably in your UserFolder\.gimp-2.8\Plug-ins folder
Gimp-2.8 installs and copies the UserFolder\.gimp-2.6 folder and all your added resources.
Remove these dll files from the UserFolder\gimp-2.8\plug-ins folder and it should be fine.
It does this because it uninstalls Gimp-2.6.12 first before it installs itself.
The uninstall of Gimp-2.6.12 is to insure no version conflicts.
You are however able to reinstall Gimp-2.6.12 after installing Gimp-2.8.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Problems with v2.8 installation
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:16 am  (#5) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: May 07, 2012
Posts: 3
I checked the gimp-2.8\plug-ins folder and none of those dlls are there.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Problems with v2.8 installation
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:36 am  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 30, 2010
Posts: 1937
Location: Missouri
I had that same problem and as yet haven't found an answer for it.

_________________
Image
The last time I kept an open mind,
my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Problems with v2.8 installation
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:07 am  (#7) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16175
Do you know how to add a path variable to Gimp-2\bin folder?


Top
 Post subject: Re: Problems with v2.8 installation
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:17 am  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 30, 2010
Posts: 1937
Location: Missouri
Incidentally I just use the portable 2.8 and it works. I didn't know about the path variable, Rod. How does one do that?

_________________
Image
The last time I kept an open mind,
my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Problems with v2.8 installation
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:55 pm  (#9) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
Preinstalled in my version, , a few thousands of Filter Factory Filters ( i believe simply all never written) already converted in Guf
are also included

(was more simple convert all in 1 batch that sort them out...)

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Top
 Post subject: Re: Problems with v2.8 installation
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:28 pm  (#10) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16175
To create a PATH variable is different for each system.
For instance mine is Start>Control Panel>System>advanced tab and then environment variables.
Select PATH in the list and select edit.
Now add the semi colon ";" to the end of the path line (if it isn't already present), and then type in the path to the installed gimp-2.8 bin folder. Example for mine - C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin
Now select ok about 3 times for each dialog.
Then restart your computer.
Restart Gimp-2.8

If that doesn't work remove the variable entry you just added, and restart your machine, uninstall Gimp-2.6.12 and Restart Gimp-2.8 again.
Uninstalling Gimp-2.6.12 will get rid of all the duplicate DLL files. It should anyways.
Then once Gimp-2.8 is working okay, reinstall Gimp-2.6.12 if you want to still have it available.

I run Gimp-2.8 and Gimp-2.6.12 side by side with no problems so far. But i had to uninstall Gimp-2.6.12 first then install Gimp-2.8.Then reinstall Gimp-2.6.12. I never even started Gimp-2.8 until Gimp-2.6.12 was reinstalled.
The installer should have done this for you. Uninstalled Gimp-2.6.12 that is.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Problems with v2.8 installation
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:16 pm  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
...or try my version :hehe

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Top
 Post subject: Re: Problems with v2.8 installation
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:56 pm  (#12) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 30, 2010
Posts: 1937
Location: Missouri
It didn't work exactly the same way for me but between what you said and what I know i figured it out. That seems to have fixed the problem, thanks.

_________________
Image
The last time I kept an open mind,
my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group