It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2026 10:07 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Glossy effect
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:46 pm  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 04, 2012
Posts: 25
GIMP Version: 2.8.4
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level



Hi!
Any idea how I can make a glossy like effect on a photo image? Actually, not even on an image, but on a single layer of a photo image? I attached the image I am talking about. It is a broken mirror and each piece I want to have some glossy like effect, like on a mirror. Any idea? And thank you!


Attachments:
2broken_mirrorNov10.jpg
2broken_mirrorNov10.jpg [ 77.87 KiB | Viewed 3754 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Glossy effect
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:51 pm  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 06, 2013
Posts: 143
I would create a selection layer for each piece and play with lighting effects filters on gradients, with layer property adjustments.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Glossy effect
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:15 am  (#3) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16175
Try using another image as a reflection-image layer.
1) Open the image as a new layer.
2) Select you mirrored pieces layer - Alpha to select all your mirror pieces.
3) Select>Invert.
4) Select the reflection-image layer
5) Delete
Now lower the opacity of the reflection-image layer real low so you can barely see it.It makes a reflective glare like you would see in a framed photo on the wall.You may want to try making a triangular corner selection on any of your mirrored pieces and coloring it white and setting the opacity to that real low also.Makes a light reflection. I also created a PATH fromthe selected mirror pieces so you can use the selection at any time without reselecting the pieces. You can do this with channels also if you prefer.
I added an image example for you to compare. The lillies image i used for reflective-image layer is not really a good image for this. Something with more light would be ideal. Like a room full of windows.
Image

XCF workspace file is attached also.


Attachments:
2broken_mirrorNov10.xcf [1.82 MiB]
Downloaded 160 times
Top
 Post subject: Re: Glossy effect
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:36 pm  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 04, 2012
Posts: 25
Oh, wow! Thank you! I will try it right now!


Top
 Post subject: Re: Glossy effect
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:04 pm  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 04, 2012
Posts: 25
Rod, I hate to say that, but even with your detailed instructions I don't understand how to do such effect. My knowledge of GIMP is super limited. But I like the effect that you made, bc it pushes out the center image and in my picture the center piece is kind of blending with the family portrait on the left top and I didn't know how to get away from it. On your image it looks much better and not blended together. If you don't mind to try it again, I would really appreciate simpler instructions. Meanwhile, I will keep trying to figure out your posted instructions. And again, thank you for your help!


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group