It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 12:48 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Lighting effects plug-in
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:06 pm  (#21) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Feb 18, 2011
Posts: 4826
Location: Bendigo Vic. Australia
Ater changing parameters thanks to Saulgoode ,I entered this code that returned this Image.(once again stroked for clarity)

(gimp-display-new image)
   (plug-in-lighting RUN-NONINTERACTIVE image img-layer img-channel 0 TRUE FALSE 0 1 '(255 255 255) -1 -1 1 1.87 -1.52 1.00 0.50 1.00 0.25 0.10 10.00 FALSE FALSE FALSE)
   (gimp-displays-flush)
   (plug-in-colortoalpha RUN-NONINTERACTIVE image img-layer '(222 222 222))
   (plug-in-lighting RUN-NONINTERACTIVE image img-layer img-channel 0 TRUE FALSE 0 1 '(255 255 255) 2 -1 1 -1.57 1.51 1.00 0.50 1.00 0.25 0.10 10.00 FALSE FALSE FALSE)
   (plug-in-colortoalpha RUN-NONINTERACTIVE image img-layer '(222 222 222))
   (gimp-displays-flush)

Image

Getting much closer, white sould not be there. maybe increase blur on bump-map drawable?

_________________
Image
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Lighting effects plug-in
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:15 pm  (#22) 
Offline
GimpChat Founder
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 5241
Location: Gimpville
Glad to see you got it working. I thought those parms I mentioned looked reversed. :hehe

Thanks for the breakdown, saulgoode.

_________________
“If you reach for the stars, you just might land on a decently sized hill.” - Stuart Hill


Top
 Post subject: Re: Lighting effects plug-in
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:08 am  (#23) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Feb 18, 2011
Posts: 4826
Location: Bendigo Vic. Australia
GnuTux My parameters were up the proverbial creek, Now I still can't get any closer to the 'interactive' image, there must be some way to set 2 light sources in 1 call of the plug-in. but I can't see it yet. Gimp needs some contact point. Is the forum at the registry the right place?

_________________
Image
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Lighting effects plug-in
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:23 am  (#24) 
Offline
GimpChat Founder
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 5241
Location: Gimpville
I'd say you're probably already at the best place, Graechan.

Saul cleared up the confusion on the material parameters.

I don't see many questions go unanswered on here. :hi5

For multiple light sources, you could call the plug inside a "while" construct and change the parameters with a "cond" block(case), as you loop. Or, you could just hard code it in several times.

I wonder if there are any alternatives to the this lighting plug-in?

_________________
“If you reach for the stars, you just might land on a decently sized hill.” - Stuart Hill


Top
 Post subject: Re: Lighting effects plug-in
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:38 am  (#25) 
Offline
GimpChat Founder
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 5241
Location: Gimpville
There are several email lists that you can get hooked up with.

http://www.gimp.org/mail_lists.html

_________________
“If you reach for the stars, you just might land on a decently sized hill.” - Stuart Hill


Top
 Post subject: Re: Lighting effects plug-in
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:38 am  (#26) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16180
Quote:
Getting much closer, white should not be there. maybe increase blur on bump-map drawable?


Personally i think if you blur more, and drop the opacity for it, i think it would be better to keep it as a highlight.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Lighting effects plug-in
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:51 am  (#27) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Feb 18, 2011
Posts: 4826
Location: Bendigo Vic. Australia
I found that increasing blur on bump-map did improve,(image below). Im still experimenting now need additional light 'maybe'.
Image

Increased light level with histogram below.

Image

_________________
Image
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.


Last edited by Graechan on Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Post subject: Re: Lighting effects plug-in
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:59 am  (#28) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16180
On a side note the create soap bubbles script allows you to open Iwarp interactively.
Have you given any thought about using it for waterdrop distortion?
This works great with my waterdrop brush.
I apply the brush on a transparent layer
Select the drop -alpha to selection
Create a new shadow layer. - fill selection with black
Then depending on the looks i may do a select shrink on the shadow and delete the inside of the shadow effect.
Set the shadow opacity - set the drop opacity
Merge drop layer and shadow layer
Open Iwarp and distort the drop to look more realistic
Use the free select tool to select just inside the drop area
select my pattern - create a pattern layer
Select the pattern layer and run Filters > Distort > Lens Distort with all settings 0 except zoom (depends on drop size)
Adjust as needed.

Done

Drop before start of waterdrop effect
Image
Drop effect when done
Image

The beauty of using Iwarp is that i can create as many drops as i want, use Iwarp to distort each one differently.
I can flip/rotate the results to get different lighting effects/direction after.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Lighting effects plug-in
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:26 am  (#29) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Feb 18, 2011
Posts: 4826
Location: Bendigo Vic. Australia
I have spent days playing with the lighting effects plug-in to no avail so I looked carefully at the image I did interactively and decided to bump-map instead, the plug-in is either sick or dead non-interactively.
Below is my result.It has no hylights yet

Image

_________________
Image
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Lighting effects plug-in
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:59 am  (#30) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
Oregonian wrote:
This is the error screen I get if I use lighting effects more than once and the second time it is usually a different image. The filter works ok, it just puts up the error messages. I just close the notice and go on and lighting effects works ok.

[ Image ]

I still get this triplet of error messages
Going thru the posts I didn't say a solution for that
As for O, I get the messages but immediately after the filter is executed.
Is someone (maybe reading the C source) able to tell what's the matter?
Thanks...

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Lighting effects plug-in
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:24 am  (#31) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec 02, 2012
Posts: 203
Location: Cantabria, Spain
# GnuTux and Graechan:

I don't know if this tut could be a help for your problems to encode.

_________________
Image



My Gimp rides on Antergos (Arch), Linux Mint, Debian and Fedora


Top
 Post subject: Re: Lighting effects plug-in
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:07 am  (#32) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
dinasset wrote:
Oregonian wrote:
This is the error screen I get if I use lighting effects more than once and the second time it is usually a different image. The filter works ok, it just puts up the error messages. I just close the notice and go on and lighting effects works ok.

[ Image ]

I still get this triplet of error messages
Going thru the posts I didn't say a solution for that
As for O, I get the messages but immediately after the filter is executed.
Is someone (maybe reading the C source) able to tell what's the matter?
Thanks...


update: after a restart error messages did not appear any more, strange!
but -as many other pointed out- to find an acceptable combination of parameters when running the filter non-interactively is a challenge...frustrating

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Lighting effects plug-in
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:45 pm  (#33) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Oct 02, 2014
Posts: 5055
Location: Sydney Australia
I have been using this filter a great deal over the last few days. Whilst I have not received any error messages I have noticed that it is 'extremely fussy' when I attempt to use the environment map feature. It does not appear to make available all open images for selection and typically the target e-map I have opened is not available.

_________________
Image

Respect should be offered freely but hard earned


Top
 Post subject: Re: Lighting effects plug-in
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:18 am  (#34) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 18, 2011
Posts: 283
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
oldmangrumpy wrote:
I have been using this filter a great deal over the last few days. Whilst I have not received any error messages I have noticed that it is 'extremely fussy' when I attempt to use the environment map feature. It does not appear to make available all open images for selection and typically the target e-map I have opened is not available.


I would like to agree with your comment.

Actually, for me ML Bevel Reflect plugin is better for working with environment maps.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group