It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 4:29 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The RGGJAN Portable
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:24 am  (#101) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
I think nothing except possible conflict with other version

But then if are portable versions to be provided then many would prefer to wait for a "normal version"
(and in this last case the reasons for me are really a mistery )

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Top
 Post subject: Re: The RGGJAN Portable
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:38 am  (#102) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
Onkel Hatti wrote:
Why a portable version?
Whats wrong with the normal one?

Hatti


Because I don't know how to compile GIMP myself. lol

I'm not a programmer; just a user Onkel. Like to keep my regular GIMP intact as well since there will always be an installer for the latest stable build, but, for specialty situations, you can't always count on that. I do wish they would implement RGGJAN as part of regular GIMP releases though. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: The RGGJAN Portable
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:35 am  (#103) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
Alas Samj has retired ,maybe Partha can find some time
Actually i have both my computer broken ( i don't want believe to a spell but it was awful 1 main HD AND the storage disk of my desktop fried , and a BSOD on my Laptop all in a quick sequence , now i have reformatted the latop and discovered that the problem is a malfunction of 1 of its 2 HD, that is no more seen...arrghh :gaah ) so i can not even try to compile something....and i know well that Gimp isn't not easy to compile even if Samj and Partha offered a good how to for try

But i would not try till my computers are fully repaired as now i have only the laptop that works almost by miracle .

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Top
 Post subject: Re: The RGGJAN Portable
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:57 am  (#104) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
Sorry to hear about your experiences PC. I use to do PC (no pun intended; lol) repair; will be doing desktop support in a few weeks (yes; finally got a job; beats doing contract work which stinks) which is still computer related. If I were near you, I would try to see what I can do. Anyway, take care. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: The RGGJAN Portable
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:14 am  (#105) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
Thanks to Onkel, I have a portable version using the RGGJAN extraction tool and just did this. I did have to clean a few things but considering the power of this tool, it's far better then what GIMP has now. Just wanted to share the effort (I know; extracted this one before, but now used RGGJAN in 2.8.3 for it which makes my day). :)

Image

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: The RGGJAN Portable
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:34 am  (#106) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 22, 2012
Posts: 295
Location: Germany
That looks really great, Lyle. The extractions usually needs some afterwork, but it's worth it.

Hatti


Top
 Post subject: Re: The RGGJAN Portable
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:10 pm  (#107) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
lylejk wrote:
Thanks to Onkel, I have a portable version using the RGGJAN extraction tool and just did this. ..


How you did if is not compiled yet. ? :huh

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Top
 Post subject: Re: The RGGJAN Portable
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:28 pm  (#108) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
Onkel PMed me; relunctant to share since he compiled the 32-bit version and he deserves the platitudes for sharing this. If he doesn't provide a link here by tomorrow, I'll ask him again or you can PM that too PC. I've tested it on a few images now and it's spot on and Onkel added some customizations to the compile so it co-exists with the current GIMP forground extraction tool unlike the original RGGJAN which replaced it. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: The RGGJAN Portable
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:13 pm  (#109) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 13, 2011
Posts: 2648
Location: Poland
This is strange.
Why ?
If the new compilation -now only the PM?
Please let us know where to download - or it is not GPL ???

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: The RGGJAN Portable
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:00 pm  (#110) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
As promised, I just PMed Onkel; hopefully he will share his compile with you all. Again, I am relunctant since he compiled it not to mention he may be doing other tweaks with that I'm unawares. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: The RGGJAN Portable
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:37 pm  (#111) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 22, 2012
Posts: 295
Location: Germany
Hi.

Some weeks ago I posted changes of the plug-ins. I changed almost every plug-in from vertical to horizontal,
the preview left and the parameter sliders, etc on the right side. That gave me the possibility to increase the size
of the most often too small preview. I changed my preview size to 450px in all filter-plugins.
One day later, user saulgoode said that I would break some copyrights with that. I didn't know that, but I'm no
lawyer, but in germany we have made some bad experiences with breaking copyright, so I decided to delete the
attachments. The gimp-version that I sent to Lyle contains all the changes (and even more), so I don't know,
whether I would break copyright laws, when offering this version of gimp.
I thought, all of gimp was under the GPL, and that this license allowed to change the code, as long as the result
was also under the GPL.
Partha and Samj made no changes to their version of gimp, they just compiled the current source and made a
distribution package.
So: I don't know, what to do.
What I can do without danger, is to offer the patches to the source.

Maybe a user with full knowledge can tell more about breaking copyright laws, when offering a changed (of course)
unofficial compile of gimp.

Hatti


Attachments:
gimp-patches.ZIP [101.35 KiB]
Downloaded 185 times
Top
 Post subject: Re: The RGGJAN Portable
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:38 pm  (#112) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 09, 2011
Posts: 726
MareroQ wrote:
This is strange.
Why ?
If the new compilation -now only the PM?
Please let us know where to download - or it is not GPL ???

On page 10 of this thread, "Onkel Hatti" shared the patch to be applied in GIMP 2.8.2 sources.

Edit: Sorry, now I understand that you were referring to these binaries.

_________________
Image
Be patient, English is not my language.


Top
 Post subject: Re: The RGGJAN Portable
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:01 pm  (#113) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 09, 2011
Posts: 726
Onkel Hatti wrote:
I thought, all of gimp was under the GPL, and that this license allowed to change the code, as long as the result
was also under the GPL


I think that's right. But if you want to ensure that this is so, you better ask in the gimp mailing list or in gimp users:
http://www.gimpusers.com/forums

_________________
Image
Be patient, English is not my language.


Top
 Post subject: Re: The RGGJAN Portable
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:09 pm  (#114) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 22, 2012
Posts: 295
Location: Germany
Oh I forgot:

Here is the gimp-run program, that makes gimp to a portable version.
The readme is inside.


Attachments:
gimp-run.zip [774.94 KiB]
Downloaded 188 times
Top
 Post subject: Re: The RGGJAN Portable
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:12 pm  (#115) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 22, 2012
Posts: 295
Location: Germany
YAFU wrote:
MareroQ wrote:
This is strange.
Why ?
If the new compilation -now only the PM?
Please let us know where to download - or it is not GPL ???

On page 10 of this thread, "Onkel Hatti" shared the patch to be applied in GIMP 2.8.2 sources.

Edit: Sorry, now I understand that you were referring to these binaries.


The patches on page 10 are outdated.
With these patches, the original foreground extract tool is replaced by the matting tool.
The new patches adds matting to the toolbox and leaves the orgininal tool untouched.


Top
 Post subject: Re: The RGGJAN Portable
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:40 pm  (#116) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 09, 2011
Posts: 726
Oh, excellent. I'll try matting as separate tool now!

_________________
Image
Be patient, English is not my language.


Top
 Post subject: Re: The RGGJAN Portable
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:31 am  (#117) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
Onkel Hatti wrote:
Hi.

But in germany we have made some bad experiences with breaking copyright, so I decided to delete the attachments.


I am just back from Berlin and is true that in Germany copyright laws are applied in a very restrictive way..to the point that too see youtube many have to use Proxtube FF extension or anyway use proxy (as they were China bloggers trying to surf avoiding censorship) because the many video blocked only in the german version.



Quote:
I thought, all of gimp was under the GPL, and that this license allowed to change the code, as long as the result was also under the GPL.


That was sure the purpose for which GPL license was created, and the single paragrapher should not violate that
I am not a lawyer but i can't imagine how distribute a patch may be licit but distribute the correspective binary a copyright violation

Quote:
Partha and Samj made no changes to their version of gimp, they just compiled the current source and made a distribution package.


No this is not exact : ad example for the portable version both "gimprun" and merenguin are "changes" and in both you may found added libraries

And the first Partha builds contained a similar hack to yours for the previews of the plugins, well much more primitive then yours i only changed the preview size still were changes and were similar to yours (i prefer yours but it is not the point here)
If were removed in more recent build was only because the modified code went somehow lost

Quote:
So: I don't know, what to do.
What I can do without danger, is to offer the patches to the source.


Well this is fine :coolthup

since i too i am not a lawyer i don't want add my opinion
If not to say that personally, if i may add the documentation of the changes done (and seems i may)
i will not have problem to distribute the binary
(with a different name from just gimp to avoid confusion with the main branch ..but already gimp(RH) will be fine were RH indicate the authors of the patch)

Also i would like, and i think i may without violate the licence ,incorporate the changes in my version

On this second point, on my gimp windows version i am in a difficult position because i still have to include all the documentation and references, and i had losen most of what i had already done in a recent HD crash

But i hope to solve that soon and once done that (the list of the changes and the authors of various scripts plugins and extras included, with links and what-else ) i can't see any possible further problem

For this RGGian fork now merged back the only problem i still see is to compile or anyway to get a b binary to test and distribute :lol

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Top
 Post subject: Re: The RGGJAN Portable
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:47 am  (#118) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
edit
oppss this was for another topic

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Last edited by PhotoComix on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Post subject: Re: The RGGJAN Portable
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:29 am  (#119) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 22, 2012
Posts: 295
Location: Germany
Great! Hurray!

But not weird. Moving is very quick, because windows just renames the directory name an other way without moving any data. In FAT it just points to an other parent directory, with NTFS its similar.
Thats why deleting is so fast. The content names (not data) is just renamed to the new parent directory $RECYCLE_BIN.


Top
 Post subject: Re: The RGGJAN Portable
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:03 am  (#120) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
hem my last message was misplaced and about something else, !

I didn't try yet i just saw your PM

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group