It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guide into the fog
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:37 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

(click for bigger DA version (recommended))

Guide into the fog

They had to rely on her as their guide - not only was she the only one who knew the language, she was the only one claiming to ever have passed through those foggy passages and live.
It was not a choice they did lightly. They were acutely aware of the fact that she could not be trusted further than she could extend that sharp tongue of hers - heck she was the first to tell them that!
But they were stuck with her, for better or worse. Time was running out.

Third image this weekend. I'm more pleased with this one. :)

A character from a fantasy project. The background is semi-abstract (although it's related to the backstory), like a book cover or similar, so it's not detailed nor exactly matched with light directions. Worked with MyPaint's gamut mask to limit colours, quite nifty!

MyPaint + GIMP. Tested pose in Blender (worked nicely as a digital ley doll).
Griatch

Last edited by Griatch on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Guide into the fog
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:28 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I really like this one Griatch. I just no clue on how you guys paint so well. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:59 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

interesting that her right hand fingers are splayed out, gives the impression that something is making her tense or annoyed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:04 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Beautiful work again Griatch, the pose is very good and really draws you into the character.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:00 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Very nice, Griatch.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:06 am  (#6) 
Global Moderator

Wonderful work Griatch, so natural; from the look I'm in deep...

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:58 am  (#7) 
Script Coder

Given where the wrist is, the right hand has very long fingers. The little finger is OK, the next two are too long, the index has about the right length but spreading it that far while keeping the other fingers close must be painful.

If the left hand is what we see rounding her chest under the right elbow, she has much wider fingers on the left hand, especially the medius. And they are bit too long.

Left breast looks weird (starts very low, small diameter)

Left jacket sleeve looks shorter that right one, and the flaps look smaller.

The left and right bottoms of the jacket aren't the same length

Given the perspective, she must be a BASE jumping instructor ("Griatch, this is your backpack, not your parachute").

Face/hair and clothes are otherwise very nicely done, and I love the annoyed frown :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:17 am  (#8) 
Global Moderator

I agree that the fingers are too long. As far as the left breast, I think it looks fine, considering it is pushed up a bit from resting on her arm. It looks natural to me.
The rest, outstanding as usual

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:20 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the comments and feedback! I wanted the hand's fingers to splay indeed; I felt it gave some more dynamics to an otherwise static pose.

@ofnuts
Excellent feedback! Let me go through your points in turn.

She has rather long fingers, but the hand did come out a bit long. I shortened it ans also removed the spreading of the fingers a bit.

I fixed the right fingers a bit, the lighting was a bit confusing, making them look fatter than intended.

I think the breast's "upper edge" got a bit too sunken in during work with the hand, straightened and filled in the line after you pointed it out, I think that should fix the feeling of the breast starting too far down. The breast is otherwise resting on her arm and thus not in its normal hanging position.

The left side's sleeve was possible slanted a bit too little, tapering it differently may fix the feeling of them being different in length.

The bottom edges of the jacket are rather subtle given her pose and that her entire body is slightly tilted. Comparing back and forth I'm still not fully convinced they are really off, but I lengthened one side slightly.

The perspective is not a perspective, at least not relative to the character. As mentioned in the caption, the background is abstract, like you would imagine a book cover, where the background shows sceness from the story, not physically in the same place as the foreground character.

Uploaded the changes, take a peek, hopefully better now. Thanks again for the useful critique. :D
Griatch

Last edited by Griatch on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:43 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

griatch: as always, i'm amazed by how full of expression your work is. the girl's pose and and facial expression really speak for themselves. i thought her neck and shoulders looked a bit strange, but nothing entirely unbelievable, just as if her two sides wasn't completely symmetrical - which of course isn't unusual to see in reality. i don't really believe the way her skirt falls, though. the way she's standing, her skirt should be falling loosely in the front, not showing the contour of her body so much. all in all i think it's an exquisite picture, really draws you in.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:44 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Wow, lots of good feedback on this image!

@AnMal
The neck is supposed to be symmetric, but she is turned our way and tilts the head, this modifies the musculature a bit ... but I'll ponder it a bit more. It's a pretty complex pose this after all (as can be noted from the valid critiques coming in).
Good point about the skirt. I wanted to make sure the shadowing came across, but you are right that it came out a bit too snug. Changed now, take a look! Thanks a lot! :D
Griatch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:18 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

griatch: wow, the skirt looks perfect now! it is, as you say, a tricky pose, if you're telling me her shoulders are symmetrical i believe you :). it's easy to be fooled because she's ever so slightly turned towards the viewer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:05 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

As usual your work leaves me breathless! Sadly the library computers have blocked images from DA so I can't see all your work otherwise you would have had comments from me on a couple of others you posted.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:23 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

I get so many stories looking at her. Nice work!
I rather like her clothes! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:49 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

@Erisian
Glad you like it! Your library has blocked DA? That's a bummer. :(

@Mokonafan
It's indeed based on a story of mine, so if you get stories out of it too, that's great!
Griatch