It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: GIMP feature wishlist
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:04 am  (#101) 
GimpChat Member

@billps
one-click healing tool
I guess you got the point, but my request is:
- gimp native tool (not external filter, so very quick)
- no other selections for input, exactly what is around the spot to keep the same texture/colour (very important for face skin, for instance), the user should have only the need to choose appropriate brush size

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:30 am  (#102) 
GimpChat Member

billps wrote:
@ dinasset

dinasset wrote:
a new (additional) method for showing an image on the window: FIT ALWAYS.
Id est:
1 - start fitting the image to the window size, whichever is (already available)
2 - after any change in the image size (crop, rescaling) having ALWAYS the image fitting the window
(now, there is an option to resize the window -useless IMO; request if for refitting the image, gimp window should remain the same)

I think I can see what you're getting at. You mean something that automatically resizes the image to the window continuously - whatever size it is. Could be useful. However it would need to auto toggle off if the zoom tool were selected, otherwise it would conflict with zooming in - coz you'd immediately be zoomed back out.

In the meantime however there's the shortcut Shift+CTRL+J or click View > Zoom > Fit image in Window. I guess you could even reprogram the shortcut to a single key press like W for example.

Thanks billps for the shortcut.
I also agree with your comment on zooming.
Still, I'd like to maintain my request (it is in any case a new option, not to override any existing one), because it could be very useful, just an example from my behaviour:
I like to create folders (from a lot of input folders) having images all cropped/rescaled to the same size (btw, my screen size) but I like to see my modified image(s) to appear always at the maximum size which grants the overall vision; guess someone else would like this behaviour.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:26 am  (#103) 
GimpChat Member

an additional wish:
extending the use of brushes to apply modifications, I mean the following:
we have already the possibility
--to blur/sharpen using a brush
--to smudge using a brush
--to dodge/burn using a brush
this capability is very useful, I propose to extend it to other modifications, like:
--increasing/decreasing the saturation using a brush
--increasing/decreasing the brightness/contrast using a brush
--increasing/decreasing the bumping using a brush
--and so on.... (creativity is endless!)
imo the capability to use brushes to apply selectively any modification is very interesting

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:47 am  (#104) 

If it wouldn't be that difficult to implement, perhaps a simple pointer in the toolbox? Just a cursor that does nothing. Select another tool to de-select it.
When discussing an image in progress with a coworker, there's no way to point to features in the image without a tool getting in the way.
(Easy to kludge: I create a transparent dummy layer, then delete it when finished. Sew! not a high priority.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:19 am  (#105) 
GimpChat Member

dinasset wrote:
I propose to extend it to other modifications, like:
imo the capability to use brushes to apply selectively any modification is very interesting

These are some interesting ideas, dinnaset!

Psnarf wrote:
If it wouldn't be that difficult to implement, perhaps a simple pointer in the toolbox? Just a cursor that does nothing. Select another tool to de-select it.
When discussing an image in progress with a coworker, there's no way to point to features in the image without a tool getting in the way.
(Easy to kludge: I create a transparent dummy layer, then delete it when finished. Sew! not a high priority.)

Maybe pressing Q key will do the trick? It activates the Align tool. You can click on you current layer
and nothing happens.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:36 am  (#106) 
Script Coder

dinasset wrote:

A workaround that provides similar functionality is to duplicate your layer, apply the effect you want to the duplicate (e.g., make it more saturated, brighter, more contrasty), add a black layermask to the duplicate, and then paint on the layermask in gray to "apply" the effect.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:07 pm  (#107) 
GimpChat Member

saulgoode wrote:
dinasset wrote:

A workaround that provides similar functionality is to duplicate your layer, apply the effect you want to the duplicate (e.g., make it more saturated, brighter, more contrasty), add a black layermask to the duplicate, and then paint on the layermask in gray to "apply" the effect.

That was my first thought but thinking about how e.g. dodge/burn tool works that is not exactly a workaround.
Reapplying brush over the same pixels will have no further effect (incremental changing of contrast, brightness, saturation, etc.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:41 pm  (#108) 
Script Coder

dinasset wrote:
I propose to extend it to other modifications, like:

- Set foreground color to some fully saturated color or to white
- Set brush opacity to something low
- Set brush mode to "saturation"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:38 am  (#109) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Ofnuts for the suggestion, but - excuse my ignorance - how can I set "brush mode" to saturation ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:49 am  (#110) 
Script Coder

Attachment:
BrushMode-Saturation.png
BrushMode-Saturation.png [ 26.98 KiB | Viewed 1232 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:57 am  (#111) 
GimpChat Member

dinasset wrote:
an additional wish:
extending the use of brushes to apply modifications, I mean the following:
we have already the possibility
--to blur/sharpen using a brush
--to smudge using a brush
--to dodge/burn using a brush
this capability is very useful, I propose to extend it to other modifications, like:

You may already do for any modification that doesn't change image size, and in a way to get a real "painting "feeling

Here how to :
1) copy layer
2) apply the filter or anyway edit the copy -switch off visibility of this layer
3) focus on the original layer (or a new dup of it)
4) chose clone tool , Alignment "Registered" and as source the edited layer

Now each stroke will apply the filtre/effect you did over the original with opacity you chose and the brush you feel more adapt

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:03 am  (#112) 
GimpChat Member

many thanks Ofnuts! I didn't see it because it was underneath (my tool options dock started with "opacity", then I found a little arrow to go up, and discovered "mode"! good!)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:15 am  (#113) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks to Saulgoode and PhotoComix.
Being a lazy (old) boy, I stick on my wish, because it would be much more comfortable...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:39 am  (#114) 
GimpChat Member

maybe the clone method may be even more automatized but is already fast, faster to do then to explain, and give the feeling and control of real painting

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:37 am  (#115) 
GimpChat Member

Two new features on my wishlist that can make life for painters and tutorial writers easier :)

#1 A Tutorial builder (a la Photoshop)
#2 Time-lapse recorder (a la TwistedBrush Pro - see image below)

P.S. BTW, I am seeing more and more time-lapse tutorials on the net because some of the 3D apps tuts are 1.5-2 hrs long.
So #1 and #2 combined = time-lapse tutorial builder :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:48 pm  (#116) 

Psnarf wrote:

Hmm, that's odd, now there is a Navigation window that lets you move a zoom box around the main image. Thank you!!! :tyspin

Best wishes I can now come up with is to let the GIMP developer team work on making GIMP the best image editor there is, if it isn't already. A few of the suggestions would turn GIMP into something it isn't. If you do happen to get bored, you might consider implementing this:

{de-spamified} www wired com / design / 2013 / 09 /jaw-dropping-software-that-makes-3
(Sorry, but I'm still a new dumb guy here, a proper URI looks too spamy [sic] so I can't post an offsite link. You'll have to replace the spaces with periods.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:01 pm  (#117) 
GimpChat Member

I just responded on the gimp-users list about wanted new features for a crowd-funding project and thought I would post it here as well.

Here is the crowd-funding link if you are not on the mailing list. (Probably elsewhere on this site as well.)

I would love to see more bug and functionality fixes than new tools personally. Being more of an editor than a creator, I seem to use gimp in a different way than the core team is aiming for, as is expressed by the 2.10 Unified transformation tool. That doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to trying it. I still use gimp almost every day for hours on end, so core functionality is paramount.

My biggest request would be fixing the new cairo based path engine. I've considered moving back to 2.6 many times as the new engine has many bugs, (http://gimp.1065349.n5.nabble.com/Path- ... tml#a40411) and really slows me down from what I was used to. Also having the new on canvas text options window follow the view when zooming and panning instead of locked in place to the top left of the text. These come to mind the most.

As far as new features...
True path intersections (combine/weld without overlaps)
Any implementation to select multiple path nodes.
Option to merge paths to new path while leaving originals untouched. (Modifier key)
Path transformations without having to use path to selection.
Path Groups
Rotatable guides.
Drop layers on tab thumbs.
Tab ordering via Drag & Drop
Gui or folder based system to arrange scripts and plugins into the menu.
Layer styles
Remember all popup window positions (tools, scripts, etc..)
Built in resource manager that remembers brush tags
Scaling an image keeps text data. (Or at least a way to know what the font was before text info discarded. (Append font name to layer-name?))
Dockable Script-Fu and Python-Fu consoles
many more..... :P

I would be thrilled to see any of these implemented, but honing what we already have is even more important IMO. I realize a lot of these features have been discussed in detail before and will never be implemented, but this is a "Wish" list.

Regardless, I hope your endeavor takes off and encourages more of the same. It would help development of gimp pick up pace substantially. Thank you for taking the plunge.

akovia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:09 pm  (#118) 
GimpChat Member

Two possibly three new links under a menu item HELP in the filters list.
1) A direct link to the updated filter list
2) A direct anchor link to the screenshots area. :)
Maybe a 3rd to go directly to the Reference PDF manual.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:47 pm  (#119) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
Two possibly three new links under a menu item HELP in the filters list.
1) A direct link to the updated filter list
2) A direct anchor link to the screenshots area. :)
Maybe a 3rd to go directly to the Reference PDF manual.

I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean so I thought I'd ask.

1. Does such a list exist? (updated to work in current gimp, or a complete filter list for any version?)
2. Screenshots of filter effects?
3. How many filters have a Reference Manual?

Either way, seeing these made me think of one really big wish.
A truly comprehensive and maintained filter/plugin website/repository that is integrated into gimp, complete with examples/screenshots you could browse, Keyword search, and notes on each. (Last working version, active/abandoned, ratings, etc...) Kinda like jedit plugin manager but with screenshots.

It could check for updates and also give options as to where you would like the filter to live in the menu as well as a place to set the default values. Going far out on this limb, it could also have a built in simple text editor to look at an make changes to the script in real time.

If you're gonna wish, wish big! :D

P.S. Rod. I am blown away by your sig picture. Is there a link to a full size image?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:24 am  (#120) 
GimpChat Member

Selectable Gimp load Configurations. the ability to load gimp in different custom ways loading only selected plugins and scripts. depending on configuration chosen. example loading configuration for editing for web would load riot but not GAP or any none web related and compression process.
Having different custom load config options to choose from would boost load times as well as simplify navigation of gimp for desired tasks.

Sounds weird yet I don't see why so many icons in gimp toolbar are necessary anymore as gimp tool presets seem more than capable enough brush icon is all that's needed then use tool presets popup to select airbrush pencil pen or brush. having all four on the side seams a bit overboard just like the transformation tools.
cooler still would be the option to put tool presets into toolbar as quick shortcuts to increase workflow depending on work. Simplifying layout while packing all the same full features.
basically integrating the old with the new so that new parts are not merely additions.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next