It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Colonization Tetraptych [New! 17 August]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:11 am  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

Nice work Merrak. I find that if you draw stick figures first, it's easier to focus on natural poses and movement before fleshing out the figures. I think you've done a good job anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:37 am  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

@Molly @Akros

Erisian wrote:
Nice work Merrak. I find that if you draw stick figures first, it's easier to focus on natural poses and movement before fleshing out the figures. I think you've done a good job anyway.

For a while I was doing a lot of gesture practices... and I completely forgot this step this time :P

I guess I don't draw enough figures to get into the habit properly.

I thought the suits would hide any anatomy flaws :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:58 pm  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

They do look a bit stiff, but that could be because they are freaked out from being in a place in outer space! xDDD
Nice so far, I like their "clothes", and the building thingy came out nice. :>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:41 pm  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

Mokonafan wrote:
They do look a bit stiff, but that could be because they are freaked out from being in a place in outer space! xDDD
Nice so far, I like their "clothes", and the building thingy came out nice. :>

I'd think big, bulky suits would be pretty restrictive in terms of flexibility - so maybe the stiffness actually works in this case. I'm not sure, which is why I asked about it. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:36 am  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

I think that came out fine merrak! I am not too bothered about the "stiffness" of the characters; as you say it's hard to be articulate in a space suit. If anything you might want to consider making the space suites even more bulky; this might be an idea also in rder to show off the harsh environment (I assume you are aiming for contrasts with this image and what is coming in future installments, is the planet about to the terraformed as well?).

One thing I'm wondering about is the nature of the ground. The colour and structure gives me the feeling of green grass - is this correct? Assuming green grass is green due to chlorophyl, I assume the atmosphere has some wrong mixture of oxygen (or contains some other, poisonous, gas)?

Anyway, an image that suggests a story - very good!
Griatch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:42 pm  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

Griatch wrote:
I think that came out fine merrak! I am not too bothered about the "stiffness" of the characters; as you say it's hard to be articulate in a space suit. If anything you might want to consider making the space suites even more bulky; this might be an idea also in rder to show off the harsh environment (I assume you are aiming for contrasts with this image and what is coming in future installments, is the planet about to the terraformed as well?).

One thing I'm wondering about is the nature of the ground. The colour and structure gives me the feeling of green grass - is this correct? Assuming green grass is green due to chlorophyl, I assume the atmosphere has some wrong mixture of oxygen (or contains some other, poisonous, gas)?

Anyway, an image that suggests a story - very good!
Griatch

Thanks! Adding some bulk sounds like a good idea to me. You're correct, it is meant to be a harsh environment. Although, to be honest, the makeup of the atmosphere is something I hadn't even considered. Originally this was planned to be a standalone piece, with no characters visible at all.

Perhaps a bit more planning is in order, and I like your suggestion about the oxygen makeup. That provides some opportunities for a few interesting alien lifeforms ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:32 am  (#27) 
GimpChat Founder

It's cool. I like space and sci-fi themed compositions.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:58 pm  (#28) 
GimpChat Member

it is coming really nice

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:48 pm  (#29) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks! :)

I added some bulk (namely, to the legs), and cleaned up the shading on the suits. This is zoomed in pretty far - much further than would be normally viewed. So I didn't spend a lot of time on details that would go largely unnoticed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:01 pm  (#30) 
GimpChat Member

I love the space suits. It really looks like they are investigating some stuff out there. :)
Can't wait to see the rest. This is looking really good so far merrak. I was wondering what the weather is like there?
Acid rainfall or some type of gaseous dew in the morning? Is there a sun? Are there any orbiting spheres or moons?
Will they find water?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:45 pm  (#31) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
I love the space suits. It really looks like they are investigating some stuff out there. :)
Can't wait to see the rest. This is looking really good so far merrak. I was wondering what the weather is like there?
Acid rainfall or some type of gaseous dew in the morning? Is there a sun? Are there any orbiting spheres or moons?
Will they find water?

Thanks :) I haven't decided much on the weather, other than it's foggy. I was thinking of showing a terraforming process, but I can see this project getting out of control :P The panels are part of a feature on my blog called Tetraptych Tuesday, which limits me to four panels. Then again, Hitchhiker Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy was a "trilogy."

Here's the entire panel.

{ Full View }