It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Normal/Displacement Map Generator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:07 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I'd like to be able to take height map or depth map images and be able to be rotated them in 3D space.

I've found this Normal/Displacement Map Generator http://sourceforge.net/projects/denormgen/ on sourceforge and downloaded the tar file, extraced it but don't know how to install it or run it.

Does anybody know how I can get it to work?

pegleg

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Normal/Displacement Map Generator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:38 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I don't think this is what you want. I tried that once (in Linux), it is somehow connected to Blender and uses strange format (.dim).

I think there are better solutions. In Window$, you could try xNormal or nDo, in Linux Blender itself is probably best solution. Also there are Gimp plugins.

And those are free options, of course. In commercial side, well, there are solutions but not cheap... :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:26 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Founder

Theoretically, one could create a 4x4 transform matrix using some pixel property as the 3rd dimension. Do the rotation, then convert back. I'm not aware of anything that currently exists in GIMP that would do that. It's been 25 years ago (in college) since I've even looked at the math to do that kind of thing, so I don't think I'm up for the challenge.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:32 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

PegLeg44 wrote:
I'd like to be able to take height map or depth map images and be able to be rotated them in 3D space.

I've found this Normal/Displacement Map Generator http://sourceforge.net/projects/denormgen/ on sourceforge and downloaded the tar file, extraced it but don't know how to install it or run it.

Does anybody know how I can get it to work?

pegleg

You have to dig a little deeper to get to the windows files or binary executable. 32 bit though.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/denormg ... n-w32/1.5/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:47 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

kimppi wrote:
I don't think this is what you want. I tried that once (in Linux), it is somehow connected to Blender and uses strange format (.dim).

I think there are better solutions. In Window$, you could try xNormal or nDo, in Linux Blender itself is probably best solution. Also there are Gimp plugins.

And those are free options, of course. In commercial side, well, there are solutions but not cheap... :)

Thanks for the info. Those programs are a bit more than what I would need. If I could get something that you simply paste in an image from the clipboard and then hit a button to go into 3D view mode that would work. I know how to bring in a raster image into blender but that involves saving and everything.

I made the image below in gimp by using the light to height 40 then the perspective tool to make a wedge type of thing followed by bump mapping a color layer with it. It gives a good quick render like a 3D image.

I wish that the light to height was capable of doing different directions which would be cool.

pegleg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:26 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Can't help you out but a tutorial on the above image would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:28 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

That's very cool image, PegLeg. Unfortunately I can't offer easy solution.

Basically there are complicated ways to do what you want, but remember, they can be automated. Do Blender scene once and just change the (texture/normalmap) image. Unlimited possibilities.

Displacement is even better, but it has it's own difficulties; it is much more slower to do well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:05 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I'm thinking about writing a book on how to create height map images using gimp. It would take a book to explain the kinds of things that it takes to make an image like the one I posted earlier.

Gimp has tools and layers that help to make crisp edges etc. It's probably even easier than ZBrush. But the depth is only 256 pixels deep. But CNC Cad Cam software like Mach3 and Linux EMC2 can import them and turn them into g-code for carving.

I have a program that came with my CNC machine that allows me to paste a height map in and view it. But if someone only has a Cam program there is only the wire frame view of the g-code.

pegleg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:58 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I've found a nice program that allows you to view a bmp or jpg file in a 3D view. You do however have to save an image as a bmp or jpg first. But it works very nicely.

It's called bmp2cnc and you can use the trial version to view files. It has instructions on how to use it also.

Here's the link: http://www.mr-soft.net/en/bmp2cnc.html

Pegleg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:07 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

How about Redfield's bas relief. :)

http://www.redfieldplugins.com/Redfield++.htm

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:27 am  (#11) 
Former Member

You may want to give Nodewerk a try. It's an Adobe AIR app, but it's very handy, and powerful. I posted a topic here of it, and a few samples to show what it's capable of.

There is a displacement map effects hub in the app, which I've used only used once or twice. I'm still learning how to use the program. There's tons of generators, effects, controllers, etc: The app has tons of potential.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:03 am  (#12) 

he4rty wrote:
Can't help you out but a tutorial on the above image would be much appreciated.

me too. and, on the website of cnc4free
there is a great tutorial on how to make use of lots of relative softwares to create height map, g-code, etc. Very useful, I'm newbie, still learning.