It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Doodles
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:32 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Would really like to get back into drawing and using gimp as my main medium but need to practice a lot, so just to get the feel of the tablet and gimp, done what I know best and just started to draw some quick cartoony doodles, most only took about a minute and these are some of the better ones.

I have always prefered pencil drawing to painting so does anybody know of some good beginner pencil drawing tuts, thanks

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Doodles
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:36 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Nice doodles. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:39 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Your doodles are better than my finished paintings he4rty! As far as figure drawing is concerned I can't think of anything more simple and effective than Manga techniques. Later on you might want to study anatomy and life drawing but Manga is a really good start.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:44 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Erisian, I must be honest I cringe at the word Manga, I think its because da is just so saturated with it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:35 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

If you change the eyes and hair on manga you get comic art. ;)

Seriously though, I do illustration work all the time. What sort of drawing are you interest in?

Last edited by CRogers on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:38 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

I think to start with I'm just playing around with brushes and settings to get what I feel is a realistic pencil line and shade, also to those who do painting/drawing do you use the view dot-dot or not.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:41 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Dot-dot?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:06 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Here is a Link to a photo I have just taken of some pictures I draw back when I was 16ish almost 30 years ago, this is what I used to enjoy doing most and where I would like to get back to and better.

I suppose I just don't know where to start.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:18 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Ah, do you mean "dot for dot" view? In short, no, never. I work at 300dpi, and my monitor is nowhere near that resolution. :D
In fact, the gimp docs recomend only enabling this mode if you are working on web graphics, and nothing for print:
http://docs.gimp.org/nl/gimp-view-dot-for-dot.html

For pencil drawing in GIMP, I'd start by testing out some of the pencil brushes, like these posted by a DA user: http://elmerucr.deviantart.com/art/Real ... P-57810771

Then I'd probably key the opacity and size to pressure using a wacom tablet.

I don't create pencil drawings in GIMP, but I do paint in GIMP. It depends on what you want your end result to be, but looking at your old drawings (which are pretty decent!), that's where I'd start.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:29 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks, I found them brushes and downloaded them, Intial wasn't impressed as I kept getting jagged lines when drawing then realised I'd left the snap to guide feature on, Duh.

I have download the gps presets and brushes and having a play around with them.

Now to find a descent walk through tutorial site.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:16 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

he4rty wrote:
Thanks, I found them brushes and downloaded them, Intial wasn't impressed as I kept getting jagged lines when drawing then realised I'd left the snap to guide feature on, Duh.

I have download the gps presets and brushes and having a play around with them.

Now to find a descent walk through tutorial site.

Heh! I've been guilty of that error (snap to guide). Glad it's working for you. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Maybe I should try pencil drawing in GIMP. I haven't done it on anything but paper for a year now. I usually sketch a very light outline for shape reference, then painstakingly layer colour over it to achieve the effects I want. The results are illustrations like this one I did for a fellow who wanted a fox-human in a classical pose: Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:26 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

he4rty wrote:
Thanks Erisian, I must be honest I cringe at the word Manga, I think its because da is just so saturated with it.

I know what you mean and I don't do Manga myself but the way they simplify the drawing of the figure is very useful.

CRogers - beautiful work of art.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:37 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
CRogers - beautiful work of art.

Thanks! I have to go paint a real room now with white paint and a roller. If there's anyone who can write a script to get GIMP to do that, I'd be infinitely grateful! :hehe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:43 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

I like the doodles :D You should draw caricatures of the GC members

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:01 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

CRogers - Thanks for the help and nice image.
Erisian - Thanks, I shall have to have a look into it, I suppose its no different from when I was a kid except then it would be copying characters from the beano or dandy.
merrak - Thanks for the comment, I think I'm a long way off doing caricatures at the moment.