It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The moon, the night and the cat.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:33 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I've been working on this one for several days now and have got to the stage where I was wondering if others can see ways to improve it. The main problem so far is where to place the moon reflection, I'm just not sure where it should go, and a good way of adding water sprites or fireflies or anything to make it look a bit more mystical.
Any and all thoughts and comments are most welcome and here's a link to the bigger version over at DeviantArt. http://fav.me/d6w7x56

DeviantArt gallery

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: The moon, the night and the cat.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:43 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

The reflection should go in the same place in relation to the tree clump but obviously upside down. Maybe slightly closer to the trees actually because looking down at a reflection is like looking up at the real thing. It's a beautiful piece of work and I can't find any way to improve it. I love the cat's blue eyes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:19 pm  (#3) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
I think it looks good, but could use some lighting effect for the moon, or even a reflection of the moon in the water. A couple of well defined clouds and flying bird silhouettes wouldn't hurt either.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:24 pm  (#4) 
Global Moderator

Wow that is beautiful Caz... Did you paint that, or is a photo manip? Whatever, it is fantastic, love the cat.
Here are some reflection pics you could look at that might help.
moon reflections

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:44 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
I think it looks good, but could use some lighting effect for the moon, or even a reflection of the moon in the water. A couple of well defined clouds and flying bird silhouettes wouldn't hurt either.

You're not going to get well defined clouds and flying birds at night and the moon is already perfectly in keeping with the rest of the image. I wouldn't touch those those things. Caz has already mentioned putting in a reflection of the moon but wanted to know where to put it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:14 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Supper job if it is indeed art. the moon should go among the tree as it is in the sky but in the water where the trees are at. but make sure they are behind the trees in the reflection as they are in the sky. great work. the detail in the fence is amazing. the cat really stands out. his eyes are the first thing that draws my eyes. i can't think of any way to improve it. the fire flies may work but it will depend on where you put them. and how bright you make them. they may compete with the cat. and i am guessing the cat is the center of interest. but you have a great painting to be proud of no matter if you add the fire flies or not. the moon reflection does need to be added though. i'm sure you can do this. great work. :bigthup

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:54 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Only critique I'm going to give is that I really like the concept and the montage Caz. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:11 pm  (#8) 
Administrator

Erisian wrote:
You're not going to get well defined clouds and flying birds at night and the moon is already perfectly in keeping with the rest of the image. I wouldn't touch those those things. Caz has already mentioned putting in a reflection of the moon but wanted to know where to put it.

During the fall and winter, when birds are migrating...many will fly at night. The night allows them cooler temperatures so that they will be less likely to dehydrate, and there are actually less predators such as hawks flying at night, therefore it is safer to fly at night.
As for the clouds... if it were cloudy at night with the moon as depicted. Due to the lighting there could be some 'well defined clouds' near/surrounding the moon.

@ Caz...
The moon's reflection could be part of the same reflection as the trees and brush, just under where the moon is.

Last edited by Wallace on Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:12 pm  (#9) 
Looking great. I too am drawn by those blue eyes on the cat. :clap

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:24 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
Erisian wrote:

During the fall and winter, when birds are migrating...many will fly at night. The night allows them cooler temperatures so that they will be less likely to dehydrate, and there are actually less predators such as hawks flying at night, therefore it is safer to fly at night.
As for the clouds... if it were cloudy at night with the moon as depicted. Due to the lighting there could be some 'well defined clouds' near/surrounding the moon.

You are probably right about the birds but apart from in cartoons I have never seen well defined clouds at night, not even near the moon. I'm going to look for photos but if you have any you can show me I will happily admit defeat. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:33 pm  (#11) 
Administrator

Erisian wrote:
You are probably right about the birds but apart from in cartoons I have never seen well defined clouds at night, not even near the moon. I'm going to look for photos but if you have any you can show me I will happily admit defeat. :)

How's this...Image
Or even this...Image
And this...Image

Last edited by Wallace on Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:38 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
Erisian wrote:

How's this...[ Image ]
Or even this...[ Image ]

I admit defeat and I apologise for contradicting you. :oops: :oops: :oops: Isn't your second example an evening sky though, not a night sky? And the third?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:44 pm  (#13) 
Administrator

Erisian wrote:
I admit defeat and I apologise for contradicting you. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Not to worry, it's all subjective anyway and it is Caz's art work after all. It's really up to Caz what is in the image or not.
I only wanted to explain why I thought these elements could be incorporated into the image and not look out of place.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:46 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
Erisian wrote:
I admit defeat and I apologise for contradicting you. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Not to worry, it's all subjective anyway and it is Caz's art work after all. It's really up to Caz what is in the image or not.
I only wanted to explain why I thought these elements could be incorporated into the image and not look out of place.

To be honest, I should have taken a back seat and let Caz decide. I was too quick to jump in.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:51 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Ooh nice! I like the composition, mood and those eyes :)
The cat with the fence still looks a little bit too 'pasted in' though, maybe you could match the colors and lighting a little more with the background. You could also add some more mist in the background, that'll look even more mysterious :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:51 pm  (#16) 
Administrator

Erisian wrote:
To be honest, I should have taken a back seat and let Caz decide. I was too quick to jump in.

Forget about it Erisian "no harm, no foul". ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:04 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Beautiful work! I love the cats eyes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:16 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Nice work Caz.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:08 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

Moon should go just about where it is in the sky, in the water. It's a pretty straight down reflection without much distortion as is. I would give it at least a little bit of a water ripple through displacement. I think some fireflies over the water - not a whole lot, maybe 3 or 4 in a tiny cluster- could add a nice touch to it.

I now have a Tumblr, check it out!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:11 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Hmm. The reflection of the moon is missing! I think you should put one there. And everything is so dark like I'm wearing sunglasses. I think the moon should be brighter and the cat could be made more well lit.

Overall, the composition is fantastic. It looks mysterious. The overall mood of mystery is very well developed and strong. And the colors works really well. This is a worthy effort.