It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Definitely off topic; does anyone know of any good....
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:34 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

....cell phone plans for under $45/month. I don't need a data plan since I only want talk if possible, but if I have to pay for a data plan, then I will. T-Mobile is messing me up by increasing my plan from $41.97 to just under $48/month without data plan. For unlimited talk/text/data is only $50, so this plan doesn't make sense. Been a t-mobile user for over 11 years now. I guess loyalty doesn't mean much anymore. Sorry for my spiel but I am serious about plans, so please let me know if you are aware of any good ones. :)

Psalm 109:8

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Definitely off topic; does anyone know of any good....
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:46 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

I don't know about the plans in your area, but if you infrequently use a phone and don't need a data plan pay-as-you-go (pre-paid) is worth looking into. This article at lifehacker has some US info.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:50 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I know a good one that is very cheap too, it's called Simyo. But I'm not sure if it is for outside europe too.
500 MB internet for 7 euros a month or 200 min/sms for 6 euros a month for example. I'm using t-mobile right now, but I hate it. :hehe Soon I'm going to change to simyo.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:53 pm  (#4) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
lylejk wrote:
....cell phone plans for under $45/month. I don't need a data plan since I only want talk if possible, but if I have to pay for a data plan, then I will. T-Mobile is messing me up by increasing my plan from $41.97 to just under $48/month without data plan. For unlimited talk/text/data is only $50, so this plan doesn't make sense. Been a t-mobile user for over 11 years now. I guess loyalty doesn't mean much anymore. Sorry for my spiel but I am serious about plans, so please let me know if you are aware of any good ones. :)

There's always "Assurance Wireless by Virgin Mobile"... http://www.assurancewireless.com/Public ... spx#dialog
If you qualify everything is free. No bell and whistles, just talk and text.

My Assurance Wireless Plan

Free Minutes 250
Additional Minutes 10¢/min
Free Texts 250
Additional Texts 10¢ each
Data Pack None

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:58 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Yeah; thought about pre-pay, but still prefer a full service deal. I will probably change T-Mobile next year since I want to make this decision without the steam coming out of my head as it is right now. lol

I'm debating between AT&T and Verizon since both have cheaper rates but not as good as many minutes as I have now (1500 anytime minutes; usually use less then 400 minutes/month; most the time even less). It would be cool to keep my out of state cell phone number but that's not really a necessity; just want my service, based on my use, to be reasonable and I don't believe T-Mobile is. I see what they are trying to do; they just want to give everyone one system; and everything system for $50/month. If I used my phone like most of my co-workers, that would be a bargain, but I don't use my phone to browse the internet and such; only really need a voice plan (on fogey I am; not tethered like most young folk are today. lol). Still, I'll check your article out not the less Odin; thanks. :)

You also Ninja'ed me BK. lol :ninja

Never heard simyo and don't think they service where I live in Alabama

Wallace Ninja'ed me too. lol :ninja

I will check Virgin out as well before making my choice. Thanks for the info. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:05 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk,
Yeah, I wasn't sure where you lived, thought I'd mention it in case you lived in Europe ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:09 pm  (#7) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
lylejk wrote:
Wallace Ninja'ed me too. lol :ninja

I will check Virgin out as well before making my choice. Thanks for the info. :)

I don't quite understand the "Ninja" thing.

This is the phone I got from them.
It's a very inexpensive type of phone, but it suits my purpose.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:38 pm  (#8) 
Script Coder

lylejk wrote:
Yeah; thought about pre-pay, but still prefer a full service deal.

If one is only interested in voice phone, what does a full service deal offer that a pre-paid phone doesn't?

For what it's worth, my Trac-phone has only cost me about $5/month. I don't use it a whole lot, but even if I used it all the time as my main phone, I don't think it'd be more than $20/month.

Wallace wrote:
I don't quite understand the "Ninja" thing.

It just means that somebody else posted while Lylejk was typing his message.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:31 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

conbagui wrote:
Hi lylejk. I'm a T-mobile also and I got the $50 unlimited talk/text/data plan but it comes with certain amount of 4G Mb, after you waste your plan limit data goes into 2g (real slow) until the next cycle month. If you only have the data plan, maybe you got much more 4G mb than the $50 plan. In that case it's almost the cost of the regular plan. Just an assumption. :)

Only use voice; don't use cellphones to browse (pretty much refuse to). T-Mobile is cool in one respect; no more plans meaning you can quit next month if you want to. Still, $50 is rediculous in my case since I just want to talk (don't even text). :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:08 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Lyle my wife and i both have a phone from Consumers Cellular and we pay a total of 37 dollars per month (for both). First phone is free activation is 35 dollars if i remember correctly. You do also have a choice of better phones but they go up in price. Mine is a flip and is the freebie ( i am cheap). Only 500 minutes total a month (250 each) but it's all we need. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:52 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

I have a tracfone I got from walmart and it costs me about $115 a year for like 800 minutes which I don't even use up and 365 days . It does text too but I've never figured out how to use it.

Pegleg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:58 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Boost Mobile you can get unlimited everything including internet (to a point, that's kinda slow) for $50 a month and after I think 5 or 6 months ( don't remember exactly) it goes down to 45 a month and it's not a plan, you can just not pay the next month and there are no fees or anything that I am aware of.
You can also pick out whatever area code you want in any state. :lol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:00 am  (#13) 
Script Coder

*cough*

Current prices around here are 16-20€ for unlimited voice+SMS+3GB/month of data and no long-term contract. The phone is not provided, but when it is the whole thing is a lot more expensive than a no-phone plan with a phone purchased separately. Plus you get a phone free of all the operator's bloatware/malware (aka "enriched user experience").