It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Review brush dynamics feature
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:51 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Changing brush dynamics in GIMP presents you with a heck of maneuvers to do before you get what you want. I always wonder why GIMP developers chose the complex GUI for brush dynamics than just a single window with a preview like in PS.

I wish they reviewed this feature.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Review brush dynamics feature
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:02 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

This is one gimp-2.8 feature I don't like either, others do. I think it is too time consuming to mess around with a bunch of dynamics before you get to what you want to do.
This is just my opinion, I don't expect everyone to agree with it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:58 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

I'm quite happy with the current 2.8 system, at least it produces the effects I'm looking for predictably.

You have several sources of variation that you control with your pointer moves (distance, speed, angle, pressure/tilt with a suitable tablet, randomness, etc...), and several attributes of the stroke that can be variable (opacity, size, thickness, color...), and you use the matrix to indicate which source acts on which attribute(s). And if you get picky you can even define how the source acts on the attribute (the curves).

How could it be simplified, without involving mind-reading?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:06 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

I guess I did mention in the post above, "I don't like it but others do." I know am probably in the minority, but thats okay because we can't all like the same features. I just find it annoying to check all those little boxes and pick out how I want the brush to act in this one operation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:09 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I think what they mean Ofnuts is an immediate preview-able window of what the brush would look like as you create it and the finished results on canvas.
:ninja

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:25 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
I'm quite happy with the current 2.8 system, at least it produces the effects I'm looking for predictably.

You have several sources of variation that you control with your pointer moves (distance, speed, angle, pressure/tilt with a suitable tablet, randomness, etc...), and several attributes of the stroke that can be variable (opacity, size, thickness, color...), and you use the matrix to indicate which source acts on which attribute(s). And if you get picky you can even define how the source acts on the attribute (the curves).

Could you not do these things without having to create a new dynamic for every little thing you do? That is the real pain.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:46 am  (#7) 
Script Coder

Erisian wrote:
ofnuts wrote:

Could you not do these things without having to create a new dynamic for every little thing you do? That is the real pain.

But you don't have to... create your own dynamics, set it as your current dynamics, and then when you need to change it, click on the "edit" icon next to its name. This starts the dynamics editor on it and you can change the dynamics on the fly:

Attachment:
OnTheSpotDynamics.png
OnTheSpotDynamics.png [ 167.71 KiB | Viewed 3266 times ]

It can be easier to change things in the dynamics than to change the brush spacing...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:44 pm  (#8) 
Script Coder

And there's also tool presets. Since GIMP allows you to modify your UI, why not put the tool presets selection list somewhere convenient, and make tool presets for all the most commonly used tool/dynamics combinations.

I think most people who complain about the UI of GIMP simply don't know about all the ways you can customize and streamline your workflow...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:49 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

dd wrote:
I think most people who complain about the UI of GIMP simply don't know about all the ways you can customize and streamline your workflow...

There's probably a lot of truth in that. The only UI functions I have never been happy with are the dynamics and the sliders. I don't think I will ever get used to those sliders but maybe it's time to give the dynamics another chance :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:01 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Please, what UI means?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:06 am  (#11) 
Script Coder

Carlos Diniz wrote:
Please, what UI means?

User Interface.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:48 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks, Gino D.