It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: GIMP Memory Management
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:55 pm  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

Your 2.9 not doing it gives me a glimmer of hope for 2.10 might not do it either, but my luck being what it is...*sigh*

I now have a Tumblr, check it out!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:39 pm  (#22) 
GimpChat Founder

ek22, I was able to extrude to 200 layers on a Pentium 1gz with 512MB of RAM, running Fedora 14 & GIMP 2.6.11, with no problem, so that really points to there being an issue with GIMP 2.8.x. Either that or there is a problem with GIMP 2.8, only on my Fedora 19 machine, which I doubt.

I can run yet another test, this time with GIMP 2.8.x on Fedora 18, which should confirm one way or the other.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:43 pm  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

Appreciate it. Just knowing something other than 'sorry mate, your comp sucks' would be better than what I've been getting on the subject so far.

I now have a Tumblr, check it out!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:03 am  (#24) 
GimpChat Founder

I just had a chance to boot into Fedora 18 and test GIMP 2.8.10. To my surprise, I had no memory issues or crashes in Fedora 18. In my first test, I extruded to a depth of 500 layers, with no problem. I didn't bother testing any further. Obviously, there is some kind of corruption in my Fedora 19 installation and the crashes I'm experiencing in GIMP are not inherent to GIMP 2.8.x.

I had been noticing quite a few random crashes in Firefox, over the last few weeks, but I didn't think much of it, until now. I suspect whatever corruption problem I have in F19 is causing Firefox to crash, as well.

ek22, sorry that I couldn't duplicate and confirm the problem you're having with GIMP 2.8. You might occasionally be hitting a 2.8.x bug with your large images.

A big thanks to everyone who offered suggestions to help me figure this out. I'm glad it wasn't a GIMP problem, after all. I can reload a corrupt Fedora installation easy enough. Shoot, it was time to move to Fedora 20 anyway. :hehe

I'm marking this topic as solved. :bigthup