It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fourier transform & split details memory error
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:02 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I have been unsuccessful at getting this to work in any large images. When I run it, I usually show 40% of my memory is still free and then get an error that GMIC had trouble allocating memory. I am trying to remove the texture of scanned photograph paper from an old photo.

What kind of computer should one expect to have in order to be able to use fourier transformations on large images?
Attachment:
File comment: photo I am fixing
Marjorie Hay Johnson wedding_a.jpg
Marjorie Hay Johnson wedding_a.jpg [ 1.67 MiB | Viewed 2734 times ]

I can't use the split detail script on this either, I get a similar memory error, although I just recently worked on another only very slightly smaller item.

Computer specs:

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 940 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8190MB RAM
Page File: 2552MB used, 13826MB available
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 260
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_05E2&SUBSYS_12573842&REV_A1
Display Memory: 4068 MB
Dedicated Memory: 869 MB
Shared Memory: 3199 MB

Any ideas on how to fix this, or approach the texture removal from another angle? I am stumped!

Fourier error message is attached. Split details message is identical.
Attachment:
File comment: fourier error
fourier.png
fourier.png [ 42.49 KiB | Viewed 2734 times ]

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: fourier transform & split details memory error
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:17 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Most GMIC filters now should be adapted to take advantage of multicore , did you set the cores Number to 4 ?

BTW the message may refer to something else then insufficient RAM , even if seems the most probable (because you succeded with the smaller one)

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:21 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

It would be good to tell something about the gimp version, if it is the 32 or 64 bit version, i presume, you use win7 64 Bit?

Is it the real picture? It is just about 1.7 MB in size.
Or is the original picture almost A4, scanned with 1200 dpi and the resulting jpg is 125 MB in size?

The picture from your post does not harm my gimp.
I have 64 Bit win 7, gimp-2.8.11 64 Bit and (ok, thats more) 32 GB RAM.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:24 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

PhotoComix wrote:
Most GMIC filters now should be adapted to take advantage of multicore , did you set the cores Number to 4 ?

BTW the message may refer to something else then insufficient RAM , even if seems the most probable (because you succeded with the smaller one)

i did not see any options while installing gmic to set it to multicore - where might i find this? thank you for replying!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:48 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I use windows 7 64bit with gimp 2.8.10. You're right, that is a .jpg export. When I try to upload the 13mb png the forum just times out! I am trying again, but it does not want to finish. I can't link an offsite url either. :(

I have been able to use fourier analysis on everything. just the fourier transform tool gives me this error, and I do not know how to get a fourier analysis to go back to being a picture again (i am a noob.)

I was able to use split details on previous, only slightly smaller, photos but not this one. it is how i removed photo paper texture on another job since I couldn't get fourier transform to work.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:57 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Well, I couldn't upload it but I grabbed the item properties. I actually seem to need the picture to use less than around 65mb memory.

photo 65mb memory = split details worked. picture 79mb memory = error.

Still can't use fourier transform though :(

Guess it is time to update my birthday requests!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:32 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
i did not see any options while installing gmic to set it to multicore - where might i find this? thank you for replying!

You are right now gmic support parallel processing BUT not all filters have options to control it

It is not a global option, you may found a example in Repair>smooth[ Anisotropic] there "Parallel Processing" and "Spatial Overlap" are the related controls

I didn't follow much the implementation of Parallel Processing ,to the point to ignore if the filters as FT that have not a explicit controls for parallization are hardcoded to use its "automatic " option... or not

, anyway if Fourier is a filter you intend use often may be the case to try :
Do you have also the command line Gmic ?
If you have i would ask the code to run FT optimized for 4 cores, if that works well may be possible revise the filter

I did write some gmic filter, but i didn't follow this part on ""Parallel Processing" but here are many other that in case may help

You have first to see if is worth, trying from command line to run fourier transform optimized for your 4 cores
and you have also to test the ideal "spatial overlap" (to avoid "nobody man land" in between the part edited by the different cores,)

Command line is not my piece of cake , so don't ask me the exact command,luckily are power users here that know better .

Nevertheless if that solve (intending that support better larger images and is quicker) i may try to revise the plugin filter to integrate P.P controls

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:05 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I'm not sure why you got an error, I had no problem with the image you posted. Unfortunately, looking at the results makes me think that FFT is not the best choice for this image. there are hundreds of small peaks.

If you do want to try FFT, I would decompose the image to RGB and just keep the best looking channel, remove the transparency, and then do the Fourier transform. This should use 3-4 times less memory.

I would look at using one of the smoothing filter instead of FFT, however. You may need to do several smooths with different settings optimsed for different parts of the image.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:34 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

The original is a 12mb png that I can't upload as an attachment. it just says uploading forever.

I will try just smoothing it out. I hate doing that because it always feels like I lose so much texture though :(

Thank you all for your replies, I have so much to learn!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:30 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Got a similar error when not removed the selection of the area to be edited in fourier.
When I tried again, after - Select - None, I had no more error message.

After using fourier and adjustments in the mode the layers:
Sorry can't up the image .png

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:52 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Akros wrote:
Got a similar error when not removed the selection of the area to be edited in fourier.
When I tried again, after - Select - None, I had no more error message.

After using fourier and adjustments in the mode the layers:
Sorry can't up the image .png

yeah i made sure nothing was selected, both of those freak out if i accidentally have something selected :D

i did teach myself a trick though based on what iain said, I split the details and smoothed only the noisiest layer out. looks so much better now.

i just wish i could figure out how to extract the pattern image from the paper! is there a filter that does that?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:07 am  (#12) 
Script Coder

schroedinger wrote:
i just wish i could figure out how to extract the pattern image from the paper! is there a filter that does that?

Did you scan the photo yourself? If so...

In my experience, a good trick is to scan the image, rotate it 180 degrees and scan it again, then combine the two. much of the paper tecture is due to the one directional lighting of the scanner bar, and can be corrected for that way.

Alternately, if you can, photograph the photo wioth a digital camera using a (real or cobbled together) copy stand and provide lighting from multiple angles to eliminate the shadows caused by the paper texture.

-Rob A>