It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Update of selection bevel
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:56 pm  (#41) 
Global Moderator

mackenzieh wrote:
...I'm using Windows. Now my other question is after gimp is loaded & open, where can I locate the plugin?
Filters > Distorts > Bevel

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:18 pm  (#42) 
GimpChat Member

Odinbc wrote:
mackenzieh wrote:
...I'm using Windows. Now my other question is after gimp is loaded & open, where can I locate the plugin?
Filters > Distorts > Bevel

Thanks, Odinbc! :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:32 pm  (#43) 
Script Coder

Erisian wrote:
1.53 doesn't show up in Gimp 2.6

That's weird. Are you sure? You've set all x flags, put in the right directory?

By all accounts, it should run in 2.6, because when it was released 2.8 wasn't even out yet... so I don't really see any reason why it wouldn't. And I'm sorry but since I don't have 2.6 installed anywhere, there's no way for me to test it to see if there's something wrong somewhere...

I've enabled the download of v2.2, so you can try that in GIMP 2.6 as well, I'm not sure if it works but it might.

Remember the x flags!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:36 pm  (#44) 
GimpChat Member

I've copied it into notepad and saved it as .py and put it into my user plugins folder. What are the flags you are referring to?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:40 pm  (#45) 
Script Coder

Erisian wrote:
I've copied it into notepad and saved it as .py and put it into my user plugins folder. What are the flags you are referring to?

Hm, well, on Linux they're called permission flags - they can easily be seen on every file. If you're on windows I don't know how exactly they're set, but I think it's something in the file properties, where you have to allow executing the file somehow.

Do other python plugins work for you? Have you installed python, pygtk, etc. things you need to run them?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:42 pm  (#46) 
GimpChat Member

I have python installed but haven't tried other python plugins yet. I'll see what I can do with permissions. I'm relatively new to Vista so I didn't think about this.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:49 pm  (#47) 
Script Coder

Erisian wrote:
I have python installed but haven't tried other python plugins yet. I'll see what I can do with permissions. I'm relatively new to Vista so I didn't think about this.

Well, I've never used Vista, the newest windows os I have really used is XP, so I'm sorry I can't really help you there. Maybe there are some tutorials or help pages you can read, maybe try googling for some, or ask some of the windows users on the forum...

From what I remember though, getting python plugins to work on windows was a bit of a P.I.T.A., unlike on Linux where they just work out of the box. There's things you need to install, IIRC you need at least Python (but it must be a specific version), pygtk, pycairo, and maybe some other things...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:54 pm  (#48) 
Global Moderator

Right click on the plug-in and click preferences then click the permissions tab and allow permissions under that tab. Not sure if you do this in Windows but you can give the plug-in permissions before you add it to your plug-in folder.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:57 pm  (#49) 
GimpChat Member

All permissions seem to be allowed so it might be that I need to install all the right python files. The version of python I have might well be for something else.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:03 pm  (#50) 
Global Moderator

Do you have Window Vista?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:03 pm  (#51) 
GimpChat Member

Yep.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:10 pm  (#52) 
Global Moderator

eeeeewwwww, hmmmmm I guess I won't be much help, You already have Python install haven't you? I thought the windows python plugins came with and exe file with it, I thought I remember having to put both of the in the plugin folder.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:20 pm  (#53) 
Global Moderator

Erisian wrote:
All permissions seem to be allowed so it might be that I need to install all the right python files. The version of python I have might well be for something else.
Just some silly troubleshooting steps,
In Gimp check for,
Filters/Python-fu/Console
and
Filters/Render/Clouds/Fog

1. What version of Python are you running? (CMD prompt type, python -V [enter])
2. Do you have a C:\Python27 folder?
3. Python script install folder, [user]\.gimp-2.8\plug-ins?
4. 32-bit or 64-bit versions of Windows?

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:35 pm  (#54) 
GimpChat Member

I just ran 2.3 and it worked fine, but it did give this message:

the above message came up when a ran a preview as well as letting it run

makes beautiful bevels in any case

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:59 pm  (#55) 
Script Coder

cecilia wrote:
I just ran 2.3 and it worked fine, but it did give this message:

That is because you're running it in GIMP 2.6. I've at this point (from SB 2.3 onwards) abolished supporting GIMP 2.6 - consider it a subtle encouragement from me to update to a modern version of GIMP ;)

Of course, you might still get it to run in 2.6, but there will be unpredictable behaviour and everything may not work as it should. I can already see from the image you posted, that some things do not work - the bevel is not cut into shape, you can see how it goes over the lines of the text, gives a sort of ghost image...

If updating GIMP is not a possibility, there's v2.2 of SB in the registry, which should run without errors in 2.6.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:33 pm  (#56) 
GimpChat Member

Hi dd, thanks for the plugin, the results are much better for me than the builtin "Add Bevel..."

One problem I have is that I cannot use this plugin to add a bevel to an entire image, even if I "select all" first. The plugin runs and creates a layer, but there's no bevel on it. I checked the obvious: I'm in RGB color mode, and adding an alpha channel doesn't make a difference. If, however, I extend the canvas size by a little bit and select the original canvas contents before I extended it, the plugin works fine. I'm trying to do this as a batch job for a bunch of images so I'd rather not incorporate this hack into my batch script.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:50 pm  (#57) 
GimpChat Member

Nice results everyone.
I wish I had more time these days to spend on gimp :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:50 pm  (#58) 
GimpChat Member

divestoclimb wrote:
Hi dd, thanks for the plugin, the results are much better for me than the builtin "Add Bevel..."

One problem I have is that I cannot use this plugin to add a bevel to an entire image, even if I "select all" first. The plugin runs and creates a layer, but there's no bevel on it. I checked the obvious: I'm in RGB color mode, and adding an alpha channel doesn't make a difference. If, however, I extend the canvas size by a little bit and select the original canvas contents before I extended it, the plugin works fine. I'm trying to do this as a batch job for a bunch of images so I'd rather not incorporate this hack into my batch script.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I recall once doing a bevel using select all and it worked fine for me. Are you perhaps trying to do an outer bevel when there is no space outside the selection?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:15 pm  (#59) 
GimpChat Member

No, I have "inner" selected. I just tried again to make sure.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:45 pm  (#60) 
GimpChat Member

I've just found that bevel isn't working on my laptop and I think I have to install python but I'm going to have a look into this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next