It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 69  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bevel Reflect Logo V1.4 (Enhanced Text, Solid Color, Light Directi
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:28 am  (#321) 
Script Coder

GnuTux what setting do you recommend for edge smoothing,I went for the max and ended with a slight blur that I had to get rid of by alpha-select, shirink 1, invert and clear

Post subject: Re: Bevel Reflect Logo V1.4 (Enhanced Text, Solid Color, Light Directi
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:18 am  (#322) 
GimpChat Member

That's a cool font, Graechan.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:50 pm  (#323) 
GimpChat Founder

Graechan wrote:
GnuTux what setting do you recommend for edge smoothing,I went for the max and ended with a slight blur that I had to get rid of by alpha-select, shirink 1, invert and clear

I recommend using as small a value as possible for edge smoothing. I almost didn't include those top values because of the blur created. If I can't get a good result using a value of 1 or 2, which usually works fine for most fonts, I'll use the simple steps I posted here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:38 am  (#324) 
Global Moderator

Tux, didn't you mention this in an earlier post about edge smoothing and adjusting the edges to a higher value?
Note: depending on the font and text size, you might also need to increase the Edge Smoothing Amount in the script to 2, 3 or even 4.
I have been using the 3 value on most of mine but your steps on shrinking by 2 px works great too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:12 am  (#325) 
GimpChat Founder

Yes. I suggested that you might need to use higher values, but in the context of what I was calling a "Text Stroke" (the simple steps I mentioned previously) . When using that technique, the blur created on the edges (by higher values) is obscured, due to the original text being wider than the beveled reflected text.

I think it comes down to using whatever values works best for a given font, which might require a couple of quick test runs to find out what those settings are.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:32 am  (#326) 
Global Moderator

Thanks, I agree, some of the fonts I have used had a terrible outcome.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:17 am  (#327) 
GimpChat Founder

Actually, the script has changed a couple of times since I posted that tip. It's now easier to do.

Just do an alpha to selection on the text, shrink by the amount of stroke you want, then run Bevel Reflect Logo, which will automatically create a copy of the original text and place it just below. All you need do then is make the copy of the original text layer visible and color it to match the BRL'd text (or whatever color you want the stroke to be). That pretty much eliminates any aliased edges caused by the plug-in.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:25 am  (#328) 
Global Moderator

Thank you Tux. gone to change this before I ferget.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:23 am  (#329) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
GnuTux wrote:
Actually, the script has changed a couple of times since I posted that tip. It's now easier to do.

Just do an alpha to selection on the text, shrink by the amount of stroke you want, then run Bevel Reflect Logo, which will automatically create a copy of the original text and place it just below. All you need do then is make the copy of the original text layer visible and color it to match the BRL'd text (or whatever color you want the stroke to be). That pretty much eliminates any aliased edges caused by the plug-in.

Good tip Tux. :bigthup

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:33 am  (#330) 
GimpChat Member

To get smooth edges on the text, I've been running the script, then alpha selecting the original text. Then invert the selection and on the bevelled layer I clear the selected area, sometimes if needed I grow the selection by 1 or 2px and then run a Gaussian blur of 1 or 2px.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:06 am  (#331) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux's chrome maps make nice glass effects when used with layer modes, here is a Facebook cover design.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:12 am  (#332) 
Global Moderator

I like it he4rty, the opacity (or mode?) on the text is a nice touch. :bigthup

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:55 am  (#333) 
GimpChat Member

he4rty: i agree with odin, very nice looking text.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:05 am  (#334) 
GimpChat Member

Nice work.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:09 am  (#335) 
Global Moderator

That text is really impressive he4rty, how did you get the background to shine through to the text?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:30 am  (#336) 
GimpChat Member

My take on glass. I think he4rty's looks smoother:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:39 am  (#337) 
Global Moderator

@warrior, try making the background darker, maybe there isn't enough contrast. Looks good though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:45 am  (#338) 
GimpChat Member

I think this one looks better. I like how the glass warps my background a bit:

EDIT: Thanks Molly. Darker bg probably would have been better.

Settings used. Map is from GnuTux:

Attachments:
GlassGimp2.xcf [743.57 KiB]
Downloaded 123 times

Last edited by The Warrior on Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:51 am  (#339) 
Global Moderator

The text is very nice... How do you make it see through like that?
Edit, I always learned in art classes, dark against light works best.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:12 am  (#340) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
The text is very nice... How do you make it see through like that?
Edit, I always learned in art classes, dark against light works best.

Thanks Molly. I added the settings, and xcf to my former post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 69  Next