It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A Preposed Updated Tutorial [Suggestions Welcomed]
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:39 pm  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

Merging layers and layer duplication would also be useful I think.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:03 am  (#22) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
2-ton wrote:
That sounds like a really great tutorial, I need to learn about layer groups and attributes.

I will touch on this subject a little.

DarkNaomi13 wrote:
Merging layers and layer duplication would also be useful I think.

Okay, I'll add this to the list of thing to put in the tutorial.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:53 am  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

I would include a list of plugins and scripts that work in layers, such as, "Filter all layers", "dropshadow all layers", "merge pair of layers" etc.. May be too long for a video, but it can be a good suggestion for a written tutorial.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:57 am  (#24) 
Administrator

Carlos Diniz wrote:
I would include a list of plugins and scripts that work in layers, such as, "Filter all layers", "dropshadow all layers", "merge pair of layers" etc.. May be too long for a video, but it can be a good suggestion for a written tutorial.

I'd like to include those suggestion, but as it is now I hope I can fit what I have thus far into a video.
A written tutorial on this would be very long and much more work.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:20 am  (#25) 
GimpChat Founder

This will be a welcome addition to the arsenal of GIMP tutorials we have at our disposal. If you cover all of the items you have listed, it will be a long and comprehensive tutorial. Perhaps splitting it into two sections would be a good approach.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:33 am  (#26) 
Administrator

GnuTux wrote:
This will be a welcome addition to the arsenal of GIMP tutorials we have at our disposal. If you cover all of the items you have listed, it will be a long and comprehensive tutorial. Perhaps splitting it into two sections would be a good approach.

Yeah, you may be right. Maybe even 3 or 4 parts would be best, instead of trying to cram everything into 1 or 2 sections. I also don't want to bore the pants off people either. :hehe I'm going to make a few test runs to see how it goes. Making it understandable to a new Gimper, (should I have added another "p" to Gimpers?) is what I'm pushing for.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:22 pm  (#27) 
GimpChat Member

I completely agree with Carlos Diniz, people, like me, have learned much better by written tutorials. One can study, read, spend enough time to understand a specific point in Gimp for instance. Video is everything so fast, you can't take notes easily. Well, it's only an opinion. Anyway, I wish you luck in your project!

Gimp 2.10.30(samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:21 pm  (#28) 
Administrator

Issabella wrote:
I completely agree with Carlos Diniz, people, like me, have learned much better by written tutorials. One can study, read, spend enough time to understand a specific point in Gimp for instance. Video is everything so fast, you can't take notes easily. Well, it's only an opinion. Anyway, I wish you luck in your project!

I understand and thanks for wishing me luck.
It would take me a very long time to cover everything I want in a written tutorial. Maybe if I use Dragon Natural Speak or some other similar software, I can create the text very quickly. Then add some images and make a PDF of the entire thing.
I do have Dragon Natural Speak, but it's not installed and that takes a while to set up. Maybe there's some other free alternative software available that I can find.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:46 pm  (#29) 
Global Moderator

Wallace wrote:
Yeah, you may be right. Maybe even 3 or 4 parts would be best, instead of trying to cram everything into 1 or 2 sections. I also don't want to bore the pants off people either. :hehe I'm going to make a few test runs to see how it goes. Making it understandable to a new Gimper, (should I have added another "p" to Gimpers?) is what I'm pushing for.
I agree with splitting it up, long instructional video are no fun at all. Without repeated review or constant stop and start you only remember certain points, so if your using YouTube how about including a short written overview of the main points with time links?

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:34 pm  (#30) 
Administrator

Odinbc wrote:
Wallace wrote:
I agree with splitting it up, long instructional video are no fun at all. Without repeated review or constant stop and start you only remember certain points, so if your using YouTube how about including a short written overview of the main points with time links?

That's a good idea that I'm sure I can do.
I haven't started anything yet. I have a lot written down now and will soon do a few test recordings. There are a few suggestion as to a text only tutorial. So I'm still thinking it all over. This will happen, it's going to take some time to sort everything out. There's much I'd like to cover. I'm also testing out the speech recognition for text dictation. That's not going so well, due to my distinctive manner of oral expression, (ie. my New York accent).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:13 pm  (#31) 
Global Moderator

Wallace I have listened to two of your tutorials, they were both very clear. As far as NY accent, it isn't much different than most States except the South from SC on down to the bottom of Georgia. Florida is one big state full of so many Snowbirds, I think I am at home when I am there.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:27 pm  (#32) 
Administrator

molly wrote:
Wallace I have listened to two of your tutorials, they were both very clear. As far as NY accent, it isn't much different than most States except the South from SC on down to the bottom of Georgia. Florida is one big state full of so many Snowbirds, I think I am at home when I am there.

Snowbirds! Lots of them here too. The windows speech recognition doesn't understand some of what I say.
Look at this...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:44 pm  (#33) 
Global Moderator

Wallace wrote:
There are a few suggestion as to a text only tutorial. So I'm still thinking it all over. This will happen, it's going to take some time to sort everything out.
This is a short read with some good points.
Nine Tips For Writing Tutorials That Make Sense.

The fact that your doing a video with a written supplement you really don't need to get into too much detail. I would start by making a simple list of key points, fill in additional detail as it comes to mind naturally whether before, during or after the making of the video. Wait until your done with the video and written details to add a short intro and conclusion when you have the whole picture in mind.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:09 pm  (#34) 
Administrator

Odinbc wrote:
Wallace wrote:
There are a few suggestion as to a text only tutorial. So I'm still thinking it all over. This will happen, it's going to take some time to sort everything out.
This is a short read with some good points.
Nine Tips For Writing Tutorials That Make Sense.

The fact that your doing a video with a written supplement you really don't need to get into too much detail. I would start by making a simple list of key points, fill in additional detail as it comes to mind naturally whether before, during or after the making of the video. Wait until your done with the video and written details to add a short intro and conclusion when you have the whole picture in mind.

Thanks Odin. :bigthup

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:11 pm  (#35) 
GimpChat Member

haha, THe Reverend Romney….looks the speech to write program needs a bit of work still!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:16 pm  (#36) 
Administrator

2-ton wrote:
haha, THe Reverend Romney….looks the speech to write program needs a bit of work still!

Yeah, it's funny, but frustrating too.
It will take me longer to do it with the windows 7 speech stuff. Then it would if I just sat down and typed it with my feet. :hehe
BTW... It's suppose to be, "Take me to the river and drown me in the water"