It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quadro K600 Graphics card with GIMP?
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:18 am  (#1) 

Hey everyone,
I use GIMP 2.8 on a Win-7 64-bit setup, and I'm looking at replacing a rather old graphics card now that I'm working on bigger projects in GIMP.

Since I don't do much in the way of gaming, mostly design/art stuff and general internet use etc, I was looking at something like the nVidia Quadro K600 (I can only use PCIe 2.0 with my aging system) instead of a more gaming/etc oriented graphics card.

So my question is, does anyone have any experience of using a Quadro card with GIMP and/or techie knowledge that would suggest it's a good or bad idea?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Quadro K600 Graphics card with GIMP?
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:43 am  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
a_man_oxford wrote:
Hey everyone,
I use GIMP 2.8 on a Win-7 64-bit setup, and I'm looking at replacing a rather old graphics card now that I'm working on bigger projects in GIMP.

Since I don't do much in the way of gaming, mostly design/art stuff and general internet use etc, I was looking at something like the nVidia Quadro K600 (I can only use PCIe 2.0 with my aging system) instead of a more gaming/etc oriented graphics card.

So my question is, does anyone have any experience of using a Quadro card with GIMP and/or techie knowledge that would suggest it's a good or bad idea?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

I think this is the card in question (see image), but I'm not sure.
If it is, have a look at the "Customer Reviews" of this card that I found from the link below.
This card seems to be designed with graphics programs in mind and not for gaming, hence it's "Max Power Consumption" of 40 Watts that's shown in it's "Product Details".
Don't let that 40w "max power consumption" fool you. You still have to be sure you have enough wattage in your system to be able to run it comfortably. I would double the max wattage needed for the card, just to be on the safe side.
I recently upgraded my graphics card, along with my power supply. To be able to run a 500 watt minimum "Gaming" graphics card with my machine.
The price point of this card is in standing with it's usage, and should work well for you. As long as you take into account it's wattage needs and your total system wattage usage before installing it, to figure out your power needs. It's also compatible with a "PCI Express 2.0 x16" graphics bus. So make sure your motherboard has the correct bus and space for the card.
All in all... this seems like a good choice for a graphics card that's not gaming related.
http://www.amazon.com/PNY-DisplayPort-P ... adro+k6000