It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Targeting matching Color Profile? Color Management
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:12 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Mac OS
OS Version: 10.9.3
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Warning I'm going to use words I think I understand but am taking wild stabs at, feel free to correct me at any time.

I want to target my creations to a color profile/space called sRGB IEC61966-2.1 / u.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2. However, all I know is I can change my monitor to this but Gimp just has sRGB. My question is this, will Gimp handle it? Am I asking for trouble? Where do I find it? I've been searching for awhile now, I did find this site: http://www.color.org/srgbprofiles.xalter#v4pref unfortunately I'm lost in the jargon.

And what might this mean:

" All color management Profiles set to Preserve Embedded. And Engine to Adobe (ACE) "

The above was a response how to set up photoshop to match the color profile/space of the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 As for the u.S. Web Coated (Swop) v2.... I don't care to do any printing so I don't care so much about that part of the spec.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Targeting matching Color Profile? Color Management
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:06 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

In the meantime, I read that sRGB was 8 bit. I remember Partha saying the newer Gimp will have 16bit color so I downloaded and installed his 2.9 experimental for Mac OS.

Well, I'm stumped. I went into Preferences and saw that I had "None" selected for RGB profile. Close preferences, opened a file closed it. Basic fiddling around, then for some reason I open prefs again and lo and behold I see the magical numbers "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" listed in my RGB profile. Where is this coming from? The system? The Monitor? My socks drawer?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:36 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
..In the meantime, I read that sRGB was 8 bit. I remember Partha saying the newer Gimp will have 16bit color so I downloaded and installed his 2.9 experimental for Mac OS.

Is that version 16 bit? The standard Gimp is 8 bit, and nothing to do with a colour profile.

This is in linux, and because I like to be in control, all my colour profiles are in one location. Your installation will be different.

If you go into your gimp profile, wherever that is in OSX, open the file ~/.gimp-2.8/profilerc

Then in there, it will indicate the location of "sRGB IEC61966-2.1..." an icc file which here is plain old "sRGB.icc"

If you are not planning on using a commercial printer who requires CMYK images then forget about U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2 and any other CMYK profiles.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:57 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

As rich2005 said - color profile and color depth are totally independent things.
Gimp's default working space is RGB = sRGB built-in = sRGB IEC61966-2.1, which means all images with other embedded color profiles will be converted to 8-bit sRGB.

I'm not sure why Color management in Preferences doesn't show it but if you need more accurate
information on images you're working on, go to Image>Image Properties or Alt+Enter (Alt+Return on Mac)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:34 pm  (#5) 
Global Moderator

Some random thoughts. When you open an image in Gimp and you get the option to keep it ICC or convert, keep it. In that case the ICC is normally can be saved for later use.
To Assign or Convert Colour Profiles, Image | Mode menu.

Worth a read if you haven't already.
Color Management with GIMP
Display Filters
Nine Degrees Below (an excellent web site with tons of info on ICC and related topics)

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:53 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Odinbc wrote:
When you open an image in Gimp and you get the option to keep it ICC or convert, keep it. In that case the ICC is normally saved for later use.

In my experience GIMP offers the conversion or keep embedded profile for Adobe RGB (1998), Apple RGB and such.

When you load images with embedded CMYK profile (e.g.US Web Coat) gimp automatically converts to sRGB
pdf and jpeg files. PSD and TIF files get rejected (unsupported CMYK color space or tif error).

I don't have Separate + plugin atm to see how it handles these files, but conversion to sRGB as gimp's only
working color space (beside grayscale and indexed) happens anyway. Separate just converts input CMYK to gimp working rgb
and then back to CMYK as an export operation. Don't even remember if Separate offers to keep icc profile.

Do you have it installed Odin?
Thanks for the links, some very good read.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:20 pm  (#7) 
Global Moderator

I have the Separate + plugin and I believe I got the info about Gimp keeping the ICC from the Nine Degrees Below web site (I know she uses Gimp). Before I mentioned in the post about saving ICC profiles that way I had a quick look at the web site but didn't find the specific reference. There is so much information there, I'll give it another look to see if I can find the related article.

I miss read the article, Will the Real sRGB Profile Please Stand Up?
I've changed the quote to, 'can be saved for later use'.
Odinbc wrote:
Some random thoughts. When you open an image in Gimp and you get the option to keep it ICC or convert, keep it. In that case the ICC is normally can be saved for later use.

Just for fun have a look at, SwatchBooker Editor.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:19 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
Quote:
Is that version 16 bit? The standard Gimp is 8 bit, and nothing to do with a colour profile.

Sorry I have a limited vocabulary and knowledge of colors and Gimp and color theory. Ya, the RGB is 8 bit but color depth(?) is changing.

Here's something that explains it better than me. I see numbers like 16/32/64 on the Parta's build, along with integer and gamma whatever those mean.

https://plus.google.com/+gimp/posts/hY3orKUQAGg

Last edited by WW on Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:29 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

K1TesseraEna wrote:
Quote:
Gimp's default working space is RGB = sRGB built-in = sRGB IEC61966-2.1

I was in Color Management and saw the option for sRGB but had noooo idea it was sRGB IEC61966-2.1.

Thank you much!

Last edited by WW on Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:34 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Odinbc wrote:
To Assign or Convert Colour Profiles, Image | Mode menu.

Worth a read if you haven't already.
Color Management with GIMP
Display Filters
Nine Degrees Below (an excellent web site with tons of info on ICC and related topics)

Thanks much on the heads up on saving the ICC. Truly when I see that message, I convert the hell out of it because that looks like the thing to do.

Thank you also for the links, I need a course in color theory for computers.

Off to go try and calibrate my monitor.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:33 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Many thanks for the link Odinbc!
My,very interesting reading.
If I'm not mistaken Elle Stone is (or was) part of the Gimp team.
Gerard.

I use Linux only.
And Virtualbox with Win 7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:59 pm  (#12) 
Global Moderator

gerard82 wrote:
Many thanks for the link Odinbc!
My,very interesting reading.
If I'm not mistaken Elle Stone is (or was) part of the Gimp team.
Gerard.
You might be right, I think I've seen that somewhere. I frequent her web site; she's very knowledgeable about graphics software and very thorough at communicating the information.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:04 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

She made a big contribution which helped to implement 16/32 color depth in 2.9 (2.10).
Basically switched gimp from lcms to lcms 2 color management module.