It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The problems with GIMP vs Sierra
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:11 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I would like to know if anyone is having problems with GIMP (any version) since upgrading their mac to sierra...My friend who has MND/ALS and I myself are having a lot of trouble with GIMP...we find that we cannot simply the OK button to get a script to work and I have found that just using built in scripts eg, Motion Blur, to use 1 example, I can't make adjusments to the amount or type of blur I want or need as the buttons/arrows needed do not work. Nothing works adequately any more...it is so frustrating even trying to save/export something ...this kind of thing is happening with many functions and I would love Partha or someone else to take up the challenge to fix it for us please. I have tried both Parthas version and Somones version of GIMP and have been using GIMP on MAC OS for years and have never had this kind of issue previously. Would be interested to hear of anyone else having similar issues

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: The problems with GIMP vs Sierra
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:14 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I should say that initially it appeared to be working fine but then about a week later the proverbial hit the fan and it all stopped working

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:40 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

This is the main reason I have not upgraded to Sierra yet. I am waiting for a version of Gimp that will work with it. If only I knew how to do programming and compiling, I would love to keep Gimp updated to Macs.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:45 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

pretty much the same for me 2 ton. I wished I hadnt upgraded and am thinking of retrograding my laptop back so that I can use GIMP more efficiently on that.
The other alternative is to add one of the Linux OS's to my VM Fusionware and use GIMP on that but I would have to relearn a lot of things such as how to add brushes and scripts....on the up side, if my memory serves me correctly, GIMP was originally created for Linux systems so it might not be a bad choice, once I know which is the best one to use and then get into the habit of using it, at least for a while.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:42 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
...The other alternative is to add one of the Linux OS's to my VM Fusionware and use GIMP on that but I would have to relearn a lot of things such as how to add brushes and scripts...

In case you decide on that option.

Linux distributions are very easy to install, even with a slow (virtual machine) it rarely takes more than about 20 minutes. No re-boots like Windows.

Installing scripts and plugins, is probably easier than on your Mac.

A look at a typical Gimp installation in linux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U02lm64tnCQ 10 minutes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:48 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks rich, my virtual is fairly smooth since I have a fusion drive computer but honestly I dont care how long it takes but have no freaking idea which version to use or how to install stuff...hope the video can help me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:27 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

ok any takers on which version of linux I should choose. at the moment I am leaning towards UBUNTU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:04 pm  (#8) 

For me these anomalies have something to do with the incorrect sizing of the dialog boxes in Gimp after my most recent Mac update. It is solved by simply enlarging the dialog boxes a bit and then the options work correctly. Having to do so is very annoying but it seems to be a workaround.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:26 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I'll try that dctommy. thanks