It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: gimpscripts.com died?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:07 am  (#21) 
Global Moderator

Hope Tux is not too ill. I also get the same message that the site (Gimp Scripts) cannot be reached.
Maybe (being ill) was the reason he wanted someone else to look after this site though :(

Not seen that before Lyle. Still I probably wouldn't try it until I get another computer and then I might keep all my extra add on in a hard drive.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:18 am  (#22) 
Script Coder

lylejk wrote:
Maybe a separate app; I'm still uncomfortable getting G'MIC updates but I trust David; that trust was years in the making, ofnuts. Still, the updates handled within the plugin itself. Would like to keep such things isolated from the program as much as possible, but still, such things are always a target for hackers if it ever becomes worth their time to exploit. Keeping an eye on the program below, but I've not installed it yet. :)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/pgei/?source=directory

Trust: takes 5 years to earn it, and 5 seconds to lose it.

What I don't like in these central repositories is that decisions about software I run aren't mine. What if there is a bug that only impacts me in the new version? How can I go back? Can I keep a plugin even after the author "disowns" it? The "free (software) world" has been laughing while Win7 users where all forced to play (and mostly lost) "wack-a-win10-update", but not so long ago Firefox users were all told that the shiny new Firefox version that auto-installed would disable all their add-ons because they were incompatible with the new version...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:21 am  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

I know some of you on this thread (including GnuTux) have scripts on gimpscripts and I understand most are covered by the GPL. That leaves them open to further improvement. From what I've seen so far of Gimp 2.9 (and 3.0) many scripts will have to be updated to work into the future.

I can see that whoever takes this on will have to be an admin and a 'maintainer' of this archive. Maybe the scripts could go on something like GitHub from a development perspective and then be downloadable from other sites?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:41 am  (#24) 
Global Moderator

Ofnuts:

Just got off the horn with Michael, and he directed me to the mailing list discussions in which GitLab was the last offering as an ideal replacement. I see that Pat David also made an example tree to show its effectiveness, and of course your points on it being the location to store but not maintain the code. My thoughts were rushed back to how crazy it was just keeping order on a Drupal platform. The biggest concern I have is the willingness of scripters/hackers to use GitLab and not become a discouragement of sharing their code. I love the uniformity of GitLab. It looks very well written and organized than some other platforms I’ve looked at. Perhaps a trial run is in order, since Pat so easily paved the way with his shining example.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:04 pm  (#25) 
Global Moderator

I have my sister looking into it Lyle, She lives in NC and is about 35 miles from Tux. She has already called the Sheriffs office to send someone out to check on him. So far no one came to the door when the police arrived there 3 days ago. My sister called again and they are going to check the neighbors to ask if they have seen any action at all at his place.
In my last email from him, he told me he was very sick and all swelled up all over so I will try to keep you informed when I hear anything else.
Tux (Scott) has disconected his email address so doesn't look good.

If anyone wants to send a get-well card or anything like that, pm me and I will give you his address.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:25 pm  (#26) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
molly wrote:
I have my sister looking into it Lyle, She lives in NC and is about 35 miles from Tux. She has already called the Sheriffs office to send someone out to check on him. So far no one came to the door when the police arrived there 3 days ago. My sister called again and they are going to check the neighbors to ask if they have seen any action at all at his place.
In my last email from him, he told me he was very sick and all swelled up all over so I will try to keep you informed when I hear anything else.
Tux (Scott) has disconected his email address so doesn't look good.

If anyone wants to send a get-well card or anything like that, pm me and I will give you his address.

Thanks for the information Molly and for any future updates you might add.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:01 pm  (#27) 
GimpChat Member

trandoductin wrote:
I hope GnuTux gets well!

As do I.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:07 pm  (#28) 
GimpChat Member

Hope he is well !