It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: reducing KB in jpg
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:33 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 10
GIMP Experience: New User

I'm trying to load a book cover. In my file, it lists the cover as 2,853 KB. But the cover keeps getting rejected from the site I want to load it to (Barnes & Noble), which says "Your cover file must be between 5 KB and 2MB." I pull the cover up in Gimp, go to Image > Scale, it says the file is 1600 by 2560 with resolutions of 72.

I just don't know what they are talking about, why they won't accept the cover. Maybe it's too big? I just don't understand it and I don't know what to do to make the cover acceptable to them. Any help very much appreciated!

Attachments:
Kindle cover The Liar Charms.jpg
Kindle cover The Liar Charms.jpg [ 2.79 MiB | Viewed 1602 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: reducing KB in jpg
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:44 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

They mean the file size is too large. Adjust the "Quality" slider (AKA compression level) to reduce the file size. Try something like 90 ~ 95.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:14 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

That did it! Thank you so much, I didn't have a clue.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:55 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Just a reminder that in the jpeg export dialogue there is provision to 'estimate' the file size.

Tick the Show preview.... button and the file size changes as the Quality is changed.

Attachment:
file-size.jpg
file-size.jpg [ 59.76 KiB | Viewed 1543 times ]

That jpeg image has an original quality setting of 100, this is not lossless, a jpeg is still compressed. Very little difference in quality for 95 - 100, big difference in file size.