It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Merge channels
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:40 am  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.22
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Hello!
I have a little problem:I am trying to merge two colour channels from two different images into a new one. I always did that, but now is not working anymore. What I used to do was to switch off the channels I was not interested in copy, select the image, having on just the channel of interest, create a new image and paste the channel I copied in the the new image's channel I wanted. I don't understand what I am doing wrong.

In addition, I can't see anymore the channels in grey (I mean, when I switch off blue and red channels for instance, i see the green channel in green instead that in grey). Did I miss some options?

(PS: I would to avoid working with levels)

Thank you for the help!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Merge channels
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:07 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Dicky: Hmmm, seeing red channel in red, and so on, is actually normal. Are you sure that you're doing everything the same way you have always done? In this case I would duplicate the channel I wanted first, and then copy the image with the new duplicate channel selected. But maybe I have misunderstood what you wanted to do?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:30 am  (#3) 

If I remember well, when you switch off the channels, leaving on only one, you actually had the grey image of the channel, as in the miniatures near the channel menu...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:34 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Dicky: That's weird. Maybe I don't understand channels. I always duplicate them before I work on them, though, and if I duplicate one channel, turn the others off, copy the image, then paste into a new one, that seems to work fine.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:55 am  (#5) 

I got the problem, but I don't know how to solve it: it seems that when I paste the channel I copied before, I paste it in all the channes of the new image, regardless which channel I have selected, in fact the resulting image is in greyscale, while the single channes are coloured.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:50 am  (#6) 
Script Coder

Dicky wrote:
If I remember well, when you switch off the channels, leaving on only one, you actually had the grey image of the channel, as in the miniatures near the channel menu...

That's what you get if you do Colors>Components>Decompose, and toggle the *layers* in the resulting image.