It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Computer - Only one tool is working.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:37 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hi everyone,
I'm someone with mid-level experience with GIMP. I am comfortable with the basics and made some nice game maps with multiple levels, transparencies, etc.

I've just bought a Mac mini and installed GIMP on it.

Mac: High Sierra (10.13.3), Mac mini (late 2014), Processor 2.6 GHz, Intel core i5, Memory 8 GB.
GIMP: 2.8.22.

I grabbed a *.png file and opened it in GIMP. (I've since saved it as a *.xcf file.) When I click on a tool, the tool activates (it shows a box around it.). But when I do something to the image it is always using the air brush tool.

Rectangle select, erase, pencil, bucket fill, text tool, everything. No matter what tool I use, I get airbrush.

I have only one layer, so it is not a layer problem. I've reset the tool options.

I've noticed a lot of the menus are greyed out. For example, I've tried to select the rectangular selection tool. If I go up into the Select Menu, everything is greyed out except "By Color" and "Selection Editor".

Another weird thing. The airbrush always airbrushes in black. No matter what color is selected, it paints in black. (Image --> Mode is RGB.)

I've sent along a screen shot. Note that Rectangle selection is selected. Colors are Green and Red. After clicking on rectangle select, I clicked on the image portion of the screen and got a black blob over "WERE". Note that there is only one level.

I love using the GIMP, but this has totally defeated me. Any advice or suggestions would be very welcome.

Warm regards, Rick.

Attachments:
GIMP_Problem.png
GIMP_Problem.png [ 420.03 KiB | Viewed 2932 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: New Computer - Only one tool is working.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:40 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
RichardSmith wrote:
Hi everyone,
I'm someone with mid-level experience with GIMP. I am comfortable with the basics and made some nice game maps with multiple levels, transparencies, etc.

I've just bought a Mac mini and installed GIMP on it.

Mac: High Sierra (10.13.3), Mac mini (late 2014), Processor 2.6 GHz, Intel core i5, Memory 8 GB.
GIMP: 2.8.22.

I grabbed a *.png file and opened it in GIMP. (I've since saved it as a *.xcf file.) When I click on a tool, the tool activates (it shows a box around it.). But when I do something to the image it is always using the air brush tool.

Rectangle select, erase, pencil, bucket fill, text tool, everything. No matter what tool I use, I get airbrush.

I have only one layer, so it is not a layer problem. I've reset the tool options.

I've noticed a lot of the menus are greyed out. For example, I've tried to select the rectangular selection tool. If I go up into the Select Menu, everything is greyed out except "By Color" and "Selection Editor".

Another weird thing. The airbrush always airbrushes in black. No matter what color is selected, it paints in black. (Image --> Mode is RGB.)

I've sent along a screen shot. Note that Rectangle selection is selected. Colors are Green and Red. After clicking on rectangle select, I clicked on the image portion of the screen and got a black blob over "WERE". Note that there is only one level.

I love using the GIMP, but this has totally defeated me. Any advice or suggestions would be very welcome.

Warm regards, Rick.

Where did you get your GIMP installation from?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:46 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Wallace.
I went to this URL for the download...

https Colon slash slash
www dot
gimp dot
org/
downloads/

(I got a message saying my post looks too Spammy for a new user, please remove off-site URLS. So I've cut it up and replaced punctuation with words to try to defeat the spam filter.)

Warm regards, rick.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:58 pm  (#4) 
Administrator

RichardSmith wrote:
Hi Wallace.
I went to this URL for the download...

https Colon slash slash
www dot
gimp dot
org/
downloads/

(I got a message saying my post looks too Spammy for a new user, please remove off-site URLS. So I've cut it up and replaced punctuation with words to try to defeat the spam filter.)

Warm regards, rick.

You need to make 5 posts,
in order for you to be able to add links.

Being that this is a new installation.
I suggest,
that you uninstall GIMP completely.
Than go back to gimp.org and download and install GIMP again.
Making sure before you do this new installation,
that there isn't anything left over from the previous installation.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:00 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Wallace,
OK, I will give that a try.

Rick.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:02 pm  (#6) 
Administrator

RichardSmith wrote:
Hi Wallace,
OK, I will give that a try.

Rick.

Before doing the new GIMP install.

You can also go into GIMP's preferences and reset Tool Options back to the default setting,
to see if this helps.

Post subject: Only one tool is working - Wallace Fixed it! - Problem resolved.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:10 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Wallace,
That fixed the problem! Many thanks!

Warmest regards! Rick.

Post subject: Re: Only one tool is working - Wallace Fixed it! - Problem resolved.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:16 pm  (#8) 
Administrator

RichardSmith wrote:
Hi Wallace,
That fixed the problem! Many thanks!

Warmest regards! Rick.

Was it the reinstallation of GIMP,
or the tool options reset that did it?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:21 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Wallace,
It was the reinstallation of GIMP. I tried resetting tool options a couple times and it did nothing.

I copied all the files from my old computer over to the new one, then downloaded the new version of GIMP. I suspect that some old GIMP files from my very old version, were on the hard drive somewhere. I'm guessing these old files, or settings or something, were not playing nice with the new install.

Warm regards, Rick.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:25 pm  (#10) 
Administrator

RichardSmith wrote:
Hi Wallace,
It was the reinstallation of GIMP. I tried resetting tool options a couple times and it did nothing.

I copied all the files from my old computer over to the new one, then downloaded the new version of GIMP. I suspect that some old GIMP files from my very old version, were on the hard drive somewhere. I'm guessing these old files, or settings or something, were not playing nice with the new install.

Warm regards, Rick.

Yes,
you're more than likely correct.
It depends on what files you migrated from the old to the new.
However,
good to hear that it's now working.

:bigthup