It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Text along path
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:59 am  (#81) 
Global Moderator

thank you ofnuts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:04 am  (#82) 
Script Coder

unsane wrote:
ofnuts wrote:
Fixed (I think). Get version 0.3 from Sourceforge (just uploaded as I post, it may take some time before it is downloadable).

That seems to work, thank you! The tool option when you right-click on the text layer seems to be gone though, but nevermind. I can now produce labels for my homebrew. I owe you one (a brew, not a label)! :tyspin

Yes, I removed in in 2.8 since it doesn't work (they made an incompatible change that I can't support yet). Still there for 2.6 users.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:07 am  (#83) 
Global Moderator

That is strange. I just used it in 2.8 an hour ago after downloading .03.py

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:06 am  (#84) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
Yes, I removed in in 2.8 since it doesn't work (they made an incompatible change that I can't support yet). Still there for 2.6 users.

Hi, Ofnuts. I think this needs further investigation. I run GIMP 2.8.2 on Windows 7.
0.2 version works fine when you call the script from the text layer menu (python-fu-text-along-path-layer)
and does not work when you call it from the path menu (python-fu-text-along-path-full) - 'no text provided' error message.
0.3, as expected, did not register in 2.8.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:49 am  (#85) 
Global Moderator

Could some one please explain this. When I saw that ofnuts upgraded to text along path-0.3.py, I deleted my 0.01.py and installed the 0.03. I made it executable and it does show in my GIMP. I made a small text path in post #81. I have Gimp-2.8.2-64-bit

This is where it shows that I do have it in Gimp-2.8 below.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:21 pm  (#86) 
GimpChat Member

@ molly
One thing i know from the recent discussion over density brush fill script is that in some of the Ofnuts' scripts the 'print instructions' are not very well handled by Windows, at the same time there's no problem on Linux. This script might be the case as well. 0.3 is not supposed to work in Windows version of GIMP 2.8.x. It does not even register in mine. AFAIK, Python script dependencies lie within GTK/PyGTK libraries, which are somewhat different on Windows and Linux, and that difference could be enough for the script to be working on one and not so on other.
lol, anyway, you should be happy it works on your distro of Linux.

Last edited by K1TesseraEna on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:25 pm  (#87) 
Global Moderator

Thank you for clarifying that. I thought I was going batty. I guess it should have been explained that it only works in Linux and not Windows.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:32 pm  (#88) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
Thank you for clarifying that. I thought I was going batty. I guess it should have been explained that it only works in Linux and not Windows.

You're welcome. Although, i'm not quite sure what Ofnuts meant. It was my impression too that it was not supposed to work in any 2.8. That's why I said Ofnuts might want to look into the matter once more. This script, after all, is very useful and being used by many, as far as i can tell.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:21 pm  (#89) 
Global Moderator

I'm on Windows, using 2.8.2 and have it showing in my text layer menu.The problem is, I've made it work a few times but the results are inconsistent. I haven't played with it enough to give any reasonable opinion either way.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:26 pm  (#90) 
Global Moderator

I think you are on to something Odin. I just tried it again and the path came out like a mangle of letters piled together. The first one I tried was perfect. If I run it again I will post my results.

Edit: Well, it is not working at all for me now so had to use filters > Distort > Curve Bend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:51 pm  (#91) 

K1TesseraEna wrote:
ofnuts wrote:

Hi, Ofnuts. I think this needs further investigation. I run GIMP 2.8.2 on Windows 7.
0.2 version works fine when you call the script from the text layer menu (python-fu-text-along-path-layer)
and does not work when you call it from the path menu (python-fu-text-along-path-full) - 'no text provided' error message.
0.3, as expected, did not register in 2.8.

That's weird. I run Gimp 2.8.2 on Win 7, and apart from my earlier problem, the plugin (0.2) worked from both menus. Now with 0.3, the text layer menu option is gone, but it works from the path menu.

Python version for windows is 2.7.1, does this have any importance? I'm outside my field of expertise here...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:53 pm  (#92) 
GimpChat Member

That's what I'm getting with 0.2

And by the way second image was created with python-fu-text-along-path-full, which I thought was not working, but it gets kinda picky sometimes.

Edit:
unsane wrote:
That's weird. I run Gimp 2.8.2 on Win 7, and apart from my earlier problem, the plugin (0.2) worked from both menus. Now with 0.3, the text layer menu option is gone, but it works from the path menu.

I can't get it to work if i'm trying to run it from both menus in a sequence. On a new image it works fine from both menus.
0.3 did not show up at all, not even in plugin browser.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:08 pm  (#93) 
Script Coder

Hmmm. Originally, the script only registers in the Paths list (aka 'text-along-path-full'), and in that mode you have to enter the whole text and the formatting in the dialog. This ought to work in both 2.6 and 2.8.

Then in v0.2 I added the text layer registration (aka 'text-along-path-layer', where the text info (text, font, formatting) is obtained from a text layer (but you then have to specify a path). This was available for all versions. However I found since that it won't work properly in 2.8, due to the per-character formatting, so I have disabled it in v0.3.

The script should work on all platforms...

@molly: since it works on your system as expected, what is the problem? Mangled paths are usually caused by not using the path you think. I have also found cases where what you see is the temporary paths I create that Gimp still shows after I destroy them (resize the window to force a refresh).

@K1TesseraEna: the paths list version ought to work, if it says "no text provided" you didn't enter any text in the dialog? 0.3 should register in Windows. The print issue (which doesn't happen in this version) in Windows doesn't prevent registering.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:11 pm  (#94) 

Here's what I'm getting:

0.3 fixed my problem with æøå, at the cost of the text-layer option. I can work with this solution, luckily.

Ofnuts: Was it the per-character formatting that was the reason for my earlier problem with specialized characters?

Attachments:
testfont.png
testfont.png [ 12.26 KiB | Viewed 1465 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:39 pm  (#95) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
@K1TesseraEna: the paths list version ought to work, if it says "no text provided" you didn't enter any text in the dialog? 0.3 should register in Windows. The print issue (which doesn't happen in this version) in Windows doesn't prevent registering.

Text layer was there, it works in 0.2 from both menus, but only as i described in my previous post.
As for 0.3 - i've tried it again, removed 0.2, replaced with 0.3 and the same thing happens, no show in path list or plugin browser.

Moreover, 0.3 doesn't show in GIMP 2.6 as well.

Last edited by K1TesseraEna on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:41 pm  (#96) 
Global Moderator

This is done with Linux-Fedora-17 (64-bit) and Gimp-2.8.2 (64-bit)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:29 pm  (#97) 
Script Coder

K1TesseraEna wrote:
ofnuts wrote:

Text layer was there, it works in 0.2 from both menus, but only as i described in my previous post.
As for 0.3 - i've tried it again, removed 0.2, replaced with 0.3 and the same thing happens, no show in path list or plugin browser.

Moreover, 0.3 doesn't show in GIMP 2.6 as well.

If you are on OSX, did you set the script as executable?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:31 pm  (#98) 
Script Coder

unsane wrote:
Here's what I'm getting:

0.3 fixed my problem with æøå, at the cost of the text-layer option. I can work with this solution, luckily.

Ofnuts: Was it the per-character formatting that was the reason for my earlier problem with specialized characters?

No, it was a matter of Unicode encoding...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:32 pm  (#99) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:

No, i'm on Win 7.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:19 am  (#100) 
Script Coder

K1TesseraEna wrote:
ofnuts wrote:

No, i'm on Win 7.

Then the only explanation left is that for whatever reason, the version of the script you have has been modified by accident and this creates syntax errors so the plugin isn't executed and doesn't run its registration.

You can:
- try to start Gimp with gimp-console --verbose and see if there are Python syntax errors.
- start a command prompt, navigate to the directory where you keep text-along-path-0.3.py, and execute:
python text-along-path-0.3.py

it should say:
  File "text-along-path-0.3.py", line 31, in <module>
    from gimpfu import *
ImportError: No module named gimpfu

This error is normal here because Gimpfu is only visible when running as a plugin, but if it gets that far it means the file is syntactically OK.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next