It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Multi-Replicate (former Drawable Multiplication): version 1.05
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:02 pm  (#21) 
Script Coder

The script easily handles common text features

3D Text

Flyout Text

Yep I'm still playin It's a handy script to have :yr

Post subject: Re: Multi-Replicate (former Drawable Multiplication): version 1.05
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:48 pm  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

the flyout text looks really great, Graechan !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:12 am  (#23) 
Script Coder

Its easy to do just remember that your number of duplicates should equal your amount of reduction

e.g to reduce to .80 make 20 duplicates the settings below are for the example in previous post

it was done on a black text layer with the top text layer filled with color after

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:57 am  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

i had to use a bit of anisotropic smoothing, because the extrusion was loooking too jagged
Attachment:
3Deeeee.png
3Deeeee.png [ 42.23 KiB | Viewed 2157 times ]

and a variation
Attachment:
3DeeeeeTwo.png
3DeeeeeTwo.png [ 167.82 KiB | Viewed 2154 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:15 pm  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

10 copies with Graechan's settings above

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:21 pm  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

impressive outcome, K1te !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:55 pm  (#27) 
GimpChat Member

Don't know how I missed this thread but somehow I did.

Could somebody explain the maths behind the scaling factor please.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:04 pm  (#28) 
Script Coder

he4rty wrote:
Don't know how I missed this thread but somehow I did.

Could somebody explain the maths behind the scaling factor please.

The "Final scale factor in X direction" represents the value by which the width of the original layer has to be multiplied so that obtaining what will be the width of the last duplicate.

For instance, supposing that the original layer features a width of 200 px, if we set the "Final scale factor in X direction" to 1.25, then the width of the last duplicate will be: 1.25 * 200 = 250 px.

As for the intermediate copies (if any), their widths will vary linearly between the width of the original layer and the one of the last duplicate.

In general, if n is the number of copies and a is the integer number representing the stage of duplication from which the scaling process must begin (as specified through the "Step to start transforming from" slider), we can express the width w(k) of the generic k-th duplicate by means of the following formula:

/                 w(0)                                     ,    1 = k < a      
        /                                                                                
w(k) = <                                                                                 
        \                                                                                
         \  w(0) + [(k - (a - 1)) / (n - (a - 1))] * (w(n) - w(0))  ,    a ≤ k ≤ n - 1  

where w(0) and w(n) respectively symbolize the width of the original layer and the width of the last namely the n-th duplicate, while the latter value is obtained by multiplying the former by Sx , that is the final scale factor in X direction:

w(n) = sX * w(0)

For a = 1, we simply get:

w(k) = w(0) + (k / n) * (w(n) - w(0))  ,    1 ≤ k ≤ n - 1

With appropriate change of symbols, identical remarks apply to the "Final scale factor in Y direction".

Last edited by Gino D on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:12 am  (#29) 
GimpChat Member

Gino D - Thanks for the explanation, I think I've pretty much got the gist of it now.I have hacked the script to allow for 500 repeats to suit my requirements.

After mentioning in another thread about creating 3d perspective text going to a vanishing point thought I'd better take a look at the easiest way to do this.

I tried the method with three different vanishing points and three different methods of creating the lighting shadow on the text.

1. Standard bump map filter.
2. Esper and DD emboss filter tutorial
3. Using a white to black linear gradient.

The method is quite simple, decided where you want your vanishing point to be then create a square layer thats big enough to cover the object you wish to manipulate but making sure the centre of this layer is over the vanishing point.
Then merge the two layers together, its better to right click in the layers dialogue and use the merge visable layers option as this will not autocrop layers to image size.
Finally run the script, just make sure you uncheck "Autocrop Duplicates" and change Stack Duplicates to "below previous layer"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:09 am  (#30) 
GimpChat Member

oh wow, the pink one is great

you should try posterize on the final picture, could give you an interesting vector-esque effect

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:17 am  (#31) 
Global Moderator

very nice he4rty...I like the red one the best.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:38 am  (#32) 
Script Coder

Glad to see how useful you consider my script in order to create 3D text effects. :)

Regarding the possibility of shrinking a text or any other shape towards vanishing points, I am already updating the script so as to make the task even more easy and exhaustive. :keybdtype

In the mean time, I have also added the possibility of beginning to scale the copies from a generic step of duplication, hence not only as from the first or second duplicate, as strictly provided in the current version instead.

These and others possible new features, as well as some cleanups and minor bug fixes, will certainly be included in the next release that I hope to post shortly.
:seeya

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:52 am  (#33) 
GimpChat Member

scale to a vanishing point !
This switch on all my attention is already possible easily or you are considering as future improvement ?
In case of scaling to a vanishing point the distance between the dups would respect the prospective ?

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:32 am  (#34) 
GimpChat Member

looking forward to the next installment of your script Gino D !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:34 pm  (#35) 
GimpChat Member

Really nice, he4rty! 3D effect is fun to play with.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:02 pm  (#36) 
Script Coder

PhotoComix wrote:
scale to a vanishing point !
This switch on all my attention is already possible easily or you are considering as future improvement ?
I am working mainly on two different improvements that he4rty himself indirectly suggested by talking about vanishing points:

1) increasing the maximum allowed number of copies to an appropriate amount in the order of hundreds (namely greater than the current upper value of 64), so as to give the possibility of further softening the visual transition between two consecutive duplicates;

2) reducing the lower value in the range of choice of the "Final scale factor in X/Y direction" from the current 0.25 down to 0.00, a purely asymptotic ratio at which the last duplicate will pratically have a width/height of 1px, so that taking the features of a vanishing point or a segment.

PhotoComix wrote:
In case of scaling to a vanishing point the distance between the dups would respect the prospective ?
For this purpose, I should brush up on the basics of the perspective representation, that I studied a little in the past but in a superficial way. However, if the implementation of such a feature didn't have to involve peculiar difficulties, then I think that I might take it into consideration, also trying to see how to add it to the script options in a simple and intelligible manner.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:06 pm  (#37) 
GimpChat Member

Looking forward to seeing the results.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:09 pm  (#38) 
Script Coder

Thanks for your kind compliments. :tyspin

And once you have learned to handle the script, feel free to sign in again to this thread for pointing out possible new ideas of utilization and showing the results of your experiments, just like several others users did before.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:24 pm  (#39) 
GimpChat Member

The multi replicate tool is an incredible friend, i play with it a lot. fun and easy to make good things with it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:36 pm  (#40) 
Script Coder

I am glad that you have been able to obtain such nice outcomes, besides with your own skill and fantasy, also with the aid of my script.

Again, thanks to all for your kind compliments.

Sorry for being away a little from this forum lately, considering that unfortunately I have been very busy during this period. Shortly I hope to start intervening and posting again more frequently.