It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I hit spacebar and then I can't use tools anymore (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:30 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.4
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 8
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Hi everybody! I'm new to the boards and to Gimp.

I didn't get very far in exploring it, as I immediately ran across this bizarre problem. If I press space once, I can no longer use any tools. Some basic functions work, like panning around with the button on my tablet pen, but I can't do anything to the actual document. If I open a new document, that works fine, until - again - I press space in that one.

I've tried to open every info window to see if the space key actually does anything or changes any values, but as far as I understand it's just meant to pan the document. I've tried versions 2.8.2 and 2.8.4, and they both exhibit this problem.

I searched the forum to the best of my ability but I couldn't find anyone reporting this issue, so I apologize if it's been brought up and/or solved already.

Completely puzzled here, would greatly appreciate any help.

Last edited by SimonM7 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: I hit spacebar and then I can't use tools anymore
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:42 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Hi and welcome to Gimp Chat SimonM7.
That problem seems like it should be something very simple but I can't think of what it could be. I opened gimp and pressing the space bar does nothing in mine.
I know someone will come on and be able to help you, I am sure of that. Lots of talented eager beavers here.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:46 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you Molly!

And yeah, the simplicity of the problem is kinda making it more difficult to figure out. I've tried remapping the spacebar key and it just says it can't. I guess it's either part of some really fundamental functionality and you can't re-map it, or Gimp just struggles to figure out what.. my space key even IS.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:51 pm  (#4) 
Script Coder

Go into "Edit->Preferences" and click on the Image Windows page. You should see an option titled "While space bar is pressed" followed by a dropdown selector. Change the dropdown to be either "Move Tool" or "No Action".

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:57 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

saulgoode wrote:
Go into "Edit->Preferences" and click on the Image Windows page. You should see an option titled "While space bar is pressed" followed by a dropdown selector. Change the dropdown to be either "Move Tool" or "No Action".

Thanks for replying!

I'm afraid that doesn't help. No matter what I pick there, pressing space does the same non-thing. Absolutely nothing actually happens when I press space, it just stops document level things from working. If I have the little cursor "sight" on that shows where I'm drawing, that actually sticks in place where I start pressing down and doesn't move when I move the pen around.

Again, opening a new document makes everything work in THAT document, but if I just highlight the previous window, that's still borked.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:04 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Oh, wait, I think I'm on to something. I removed all the input devices from the input devices list, and now it actually seems to work.

Edit: Yep. It works. Unless I set space to do nothing, then the same thing happens where I have to close and re-open the document to continue working on it. That's still a little strange - you'd think it just wouldn't do anything - but at least I have it working now.