It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GIMP vs Photoshop (yeah, one more time)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:28 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Would be interesting to know what Gimp Chatters think.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: GIMP vs Photoshop (yeah, one more time)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:29 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

The full comparison link seems 404, so I only read the 11 pages. I found the 'navigation' comparison intriguing maybe I didn't catch what its about, the mag says that panning is made easy with the navigation tab.. But I don't see the point of using this tab since I use mouse 3 button to pan...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:12 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

At the end of the day, Photoshop or Gimp are still just pencils, and its the creative skill and practice of said software that produce the amazing results.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:12 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

I've given up on the theory. Gimp does everything I want it to so why fork out money??? As he4rty said it's just different pencils. All software has it's limitations and bonuses and you have to adapt just like you do with watercolours, oils etc.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:03 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

i liked the article, but i thought some of the conclusions were a bit too hasty. about photoshop versus gimp i made up my mind long before i read the article thoguh, and i'm not likely to change it. as tools both softwares work well in their own respective ways, but open source software sort of comes with the creativity built in to its bones :).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:22 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

perhaps there are differences that would make a difference for professional graphics artists, but for me...well, I still have not bothered to work with the free photoshop that was being given away, gimp does all I need and does it well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:42 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
Gimp does everything I want it to so why fork out money???

Thinking twice about it, I Second this and more, as PS is not exactly an affordable software. We're not comparing a free product vs an affordable product here, PS means 700 US$, and 700 US$ is, converted, approximately the price I pay, monthly, for renting my house, I certainly can't skip the rent for one month. And there's more, I'm living in one of the developed countries around, but imagine what means 700$ for many other countries... In many of them 700 US$ means a complete year of labour and I guess I'm optimistic.

Therefore, in a way, comparing PS and gimp features relies on the postulate that you are kind of rich among the riches, which, for most human beings on Earth, makes gimp the instant winner of any comparison charts.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:24 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

@anarkhya
affordability is not in question here.
Whether we want it or not, PS has become the industry standard among professionals.
The real question behind such reviews is what developers are asking themselves: does GIMP
qualify as a free competitive alternative to PS?
The developers of GIMP make no secret that their targeted end-user is a professional with high-end demands, not amateur users like us. This philosophy pretty much defines how gimp is going to be developed and maintained in the next decade.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:17 am  (#9) 
Script Coder

K1TesseraEna wrote:
Whether we want it or not, PS has become the industry standard among professionals.

I wish people would stop saying that. The more people say that, the more people believe it's true...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:48 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

dd wrote:
K1TesseraEna wrote:

I wish people would stop saying that. The more people say that, the more people believe it's true...

If it's not true then what are the industry standards?
Maybe I missed something and pdf and psd are obsolete file formats these days?
Higher bit precision is not in need by the pro photographers anymore?
Non-destructive image editing is the wrong path taken?
The ability to operate in CMYK color space is a redundancy?
Vector graphics integration to raster editors is nothing but fancy extravagance?
Enlighten me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:34 am  (#11) 
Global Moderator

fluffybunny wrote:
anarkhya wrote:
Erisian wrote:
Gimp does everything I want it to so why fork out money???

Thinking twice about it, I Second this and more, as PS is not exactly an affordable software. We're not comparing a free product vs an affordable product here, PS means 700 US$ ...

[Rant]
I wish it was only $700 US!
In Australia, Adobe inflate many of their prices, see the screen snapshot below.
That is in Australian Dollars, but today's exchange rate = 1 Australian dollar buys 1.03 US dollars.
So it would cost me $1094 US dollars. :hoh
fluffybunny

[/End Rant]

I agree. Here in Canada where I live, I went into Best Buy a couple years ago before I even heard of GiMP. I asked how much it cost for PhotoShop, and they said over $1000 and they don't stock it for reasons there are not enough people that will pay that much money for something they might not even like,they would have to order it.
To me, comparing Gimp to Photoshop is not even a question. The comparison is one is free and one is not.
For what I want and need is Gimp and it is improving as the years go by.
Why not compare Gimp with another free software, instead of PS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:54 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Ok ok, money is not everything in life. Not just about money. It's about the altruism of developers. It's about the OpenSource, free code and freedom. It's about the community.
I remember reading many opportunities that GIMP developers only think about making their own tool. For developers of GIMP, GIMP is an alternative to other graphics programs (not a competitor). For Adobe, maybe GIMP has slowly been turning into an annoying competition (which they can not buy to make them disappear :mrgreen: ).
Without programs like GIMP, Adobe would not have needed to launch promotions or make available for free their old software. For this reason even Photoshop users should love programs like GIMP :hehe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:11 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
Why not compare Gimp with another free software, instead of PS

Because it's GIMP Magazine, I guess, and no other free image editor surpasses GIMP in popularity.
I wouldn't mind GIMP vs Krita comparison, tho. You are the Linux user, molly. Unlike Windows version Krita on Linux is a stable
and highly potent program. Are you using Krita and if you are what do you think of it?

molly wrote:
I agree. Here in Canada where I live, I went into Best Buy a couple years ago before I even heard of GiMP. I asked how much it cost for PhotoShop, and they said over $1000 and they don't stock it for reasons there are not enough people that will pay that much money for something they might not even like,they would have to order it.

Payment options for Adobe products have changed. Now you can have all products for $50 a month or one application for $30.
And if you don't like it you can cancel subscription. No need to break your bank for something you might not gonna need.

GIMP is more than just a free editing software with some extra features. It's potential surpasses that of PS, in my opinion.
All the changes the developers are currently working on or planning to do (porting to GEGL, GTK 3) are going to make it high-end image editing tool
no professional can deny. Gimp's only problem is a slow development (compared to other Open Source programs like Blender, Krita).
But when those major changes take place, the development will not stop, it will even accelerate exponentially. And this thought makes me happy. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:26 am  (#14) 
Global Moderator

Well said, and yes I do have Krita but I haven't delved into it yet.
I will always stick up for GIMP and for all the work the developers do to get it where it is. They should be applauded, which in fact, I think they are.
Another thing is that PS people look down on GIMP as inferior and I am sure most of them have never even tried it.
They might be very surprised.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:39 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
Another thing is that PS people look down on GIMP as inferior and I am sure most of them have never even tried it.
They might be very surprised.

Maybe a few years back they did but not anymore. GIMP is spreading tremendously (according to the number of
downloads from the Sourceforge only, then there are other download sites) and it's growing popularity scares crap out of Adobe corporation :hehe .
Like YAFU said, they would have bought GIMP just to make it disappear but that's not gonna happen. :yes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:47 am  (#16) 
Global Moderator

YUP, we are not going to let it. Same goes for other Corporations...windows

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:41 am  (#17) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
I can't tell form looking at an image whether it was Gimped or Photoshoped.

For my money, I'll go with Gimp and as for 'industry standards'... who's to say that Gimp isn't part of this standard.

Gimped or Photoshoped, Don't ask Don't tell.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:29 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

K1TesseraEna wrote:
The developers of GIMP make no secret that their targeted end-user is a professional with high-end demands, not amateur users like us.

Well, assuming it's true, I'm afraid target is not acquired, or at least is a secondary objective. I believe that a free product automatically targets generic users, while it doesn't prevent satisfying the needs of the 1337's. After all, we've already heard of painters or photographers who work with gimp, and I don't see why any professional graphician would force himself to use gimp, it they use it then it means the product satisfies their pro needs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:56 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

K1TesseraEna wrote:
Payment options for Adobe products have changed. Now you can have all products for $50 a month or one application for $30. And if you don't like it you can cancel subscription. No need to break your bank for something you might not gonna need.

IMO, it hasn't changed at all, it's just more insidious, they just used the clever principle of "paid free trial" :P
leaving you with two options:
if you dislike it then you cancel the subscription, anyway, you paid.
if you like it then you keep subscribing over and over, you still gonna break your bank, but quite silently.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:04 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

anarkhya wrote:
K1TesseraEna wrote:
The developers of GIMP make no secret that their targeted end-user is a professional with high-end demands, not amateur users like us.

Well, assuming it's true, I'm afraid target is not acquired, or at least is a secondary objective. I believe that a free product automatically targets generic users, while it doesn't prevent satisfying the needs of the 1337's. After all, we've already heard of painters or photographers who work with gimp, and I don't see why any professional graphician would force himself to use gimp, it they use it then it means the product satisfies their pro needs.

The targeted user is not the same as acquired. That's what the devs are aiming at. Let's see what's going on here so far. Pro photographers work with raw images and 16-bit per channel (32-bit floating point) color depth. This depth is not yet supported in GIMP until fully ported to GEGL GIMP 2.10 comes along. This fact alone keeps a majority of pro photographers away from using GIMP. Other thing is Raw files support. So far the only GIMP plugin for raw files is 3rd party UFRaw, which is not going to work with GEGL (needs to be re-coded to work with new library). PS has it all, but as soon as GIMP makes it happen I can envision that many pros will shift their attention to GIMP and ultimately switch to it.
As for digital painters, the only advantage PS is having is better brushes and better brush dynamics control. But GPS and Gimp Painter can easily fill this gap. MyPaint brush controls are superb, brush engine is portable to GIMP. Finally, after porting to GTK 3 (planned for GIMP 3.0) tablet support broken in GIMP 2.8 will become bug-free for pro artist. And that's where you can expect massive migration of professional to GIMP, totally free and capable software

Last edited by K1TesseraEna on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.