It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flame Painter 2 is about to be released.
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:57 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Just got an email notice today. Not going to be a free update, but discounted for those that already have 1.x. Some very cool features for sure such as true layers, editable vector layers and more. If the price is right (and I believe it will be) I do plan on getting this update. More details at Escapemotion's blog below. :)

http://www.escapemotions.com/blog.php?& ... _Painter_2

Psalm 109:8

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Flame Painter 2 is about to be released.
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:28 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Sounds cool Lyle.I will definitely be updating myself.Love this software program.
I checked out the up and coming changes and it looks pretty great.Thanks for sharing the news.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:38 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Tools>Tile Layer Gram. There is currently a bug and I had correspondance with the creator of Flame Painter and he said he will patch this, but not sure if he will with the 1.x series or not. The bug is that you have to have fill enabled. If you unclick fill, you won't get seamless tiles. :)

Attachments:
tile.png
tile.png [ 69.64 KiB | Viewed 3053 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:22 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Flame Painter and G'MIC>Artistic>Rodilius make a good combination. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:15 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Just noticed your entry Rod; looks pretty cool. Rodilius is one of my favorite G'MIC presets; thanks again for that gift. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:23 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
Just noticed your entry Rod; looks pretty cool. Rodilius is one of my favorite G'MIC presets; thanks again for that gift. :)

Thanks Lyle, but without David and G'MIC i would have been playing with it forever inside Filter Forge.
David is the code wizard. :bigthup
I never even released it out of Filter Forge to the public.I wanted to get it in Gimp first. :lol Guess i am selfish in that regard.Now that Filter Forge 4 has added the loop command we are all having fun over here.No more bazillion of the same components.That equals no more component cities.. :lol
Although component grouping was added also in 4, loop still is the new bomb. :bigthup

The Rodilius filter had blur in it 14 times. Now it can be re written.Not sure if i am going to grab 4 Pro yet but who knows. ;)
Anyway thanks for the shout out.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:19 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Does anyone have experience, can Flame Painter 2 be used in Linux through Wine? Sometimes something like this would be useful. I think is could be simulated with vectors and blurs, but it would be very slow to do...

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:21 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Ah, sorry, there's Linux version "coming soon". I'll wait...

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:42 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

kimppi wrote:
Does anyone have experience, can Flame Painter 2 be used in Linux through Wine? Sometimes something like this would be useful. I think is could be simulated with vectors and blurs, but it would be very slow to do...

I did have this running through wine on Fedora 17 last year. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:46 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

kimppi wrote:

The first version certainly does.

This is PCLinuxOS, Wine 1.4.1 and FlamePainter 1.7

Not a lot of money, several free updates and great fun.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:52 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Just wanted you folk know, I got mine. Used the discount code; $29 is reasonable now that I have a job. lol

Got to learn a few more things though; cool that to install a new brush is a simple drag and drop situation. Think I'm going to like the layer feature but, for now, there's only a few layer properties and hope future updates will add more. Like the anti-alias advancement with this new version; very clean results now. What else; well, the beta hinted at seamless layer feature but they did take that out of the initial release, but, I was assured by those at Escape Motions that it will be implemented in a future update. I'm still keeping the old version around for now (both can exist together and be run simultaneously). This is just my preliminary assessment. Kudos to the developers for this new update overall. Lots of additional bells and whistles; since I have Pro, I can now create a vector path an try different brushes and see them follow that same path.

Now for someone to develope a GIMP plugin to open Flame Painter format. lol

:)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:57 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Lyle i didn't know it had been released already. :)
Great stuff!

I had to send the support a email for my coupon code. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:16 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Bought this toy too, and works in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS without problems so far! Thanks for the tip, once again!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:42 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
Great stuff!

Just got released today Rod. Still, I'm trying to get use to the new interface. I mainly use Flamepainter to create objects which I port into GIMP for further processing since I am not a painter. lol

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:30 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
Rod wrote:
Great stuff!

Just got released today Rod. Still, I'm trying to get use to the new interface. I mainly use Flamepainter to create objects which I port into GIMP for further processing since I am not a painter. lol

Does it support Shellout.py yet? :)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:52 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

I've never used it w/ shellout Rod. Not sure if you would want to port a bitmap into Flame Painter regardless, but that's just me. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:54 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

I downloaded it and it is much slower at rendering than the 1.x version.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:15 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Not sure much different with my system Rod but it probably would take more resources regardless due to layers and a other features like advanced anti-aliasing. For your system, I believe you can disable supersmooth and see if that helps. I see very little issues with sluggishness but I do have a 64-bit OS w/ 6Gs of RAM. :)

Attachments:
toggle_supersmooth.png
toggle_supersmooth.png [ 30.26 KiB | Viewed 1553 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:46 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

I tried disabling AA super smooth to normal AA but it didn't help.
I have 3 gigs RAM and mine is a 32 bit system.3 gigs of RAM should be plenty i think.
Maybe i just need to restart.Weird because all i have open is the browser and Flame Painter.
Flame Painter 1.7 is very very fast on my system.Oh well i did let the author know.maybe it's a Vista problem?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:13 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

kimppi wrote:

They do email with a discount code and it is a good deal with 50% off, although not too sure I would go for the Pro version otherwise.

Does it work in Wine - yes but

1. I did install it in a WinXP VM first, just to monitor the installation. Generally it does keep everything together in its own folder structure. There are some files in documents and settings in
C:\Documents and Settings\rich\Local Settings\Application Data\Escape Motions\Flame Painter 2 Pro (don't you just love windoze).

2. It does require connecting to the internet to verify the registration details, one time only but might still be a problem for some installations.

3. Copied the flamepainter installation into ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/FlamePainter2Pro. Then had to re-register over the net again, which worked, so no immediate snags with limited registrations. I still do not like this, smacks of M$, Adobe, Corel etc but not much choice. On first run those 'Application Data' files are created in the .wine directory structure. If you want to chance your luck with any old flamepainter 1.x brushes that is the place to put them.

4. Hand made menu entry, which is what I normally do for Wine apps, but I think it should install ok with the .exe installer.

5. Fired it up a few times, messed about with some of the old brushes, I like the 'vector' facility that comes with the pro version, great fun