It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Directional gradient along a path
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:28 pm  (#41) 
GimpChat Member

@K1TesseraEna:
Well, I'm not an artist too, much less a developer :hehe
Just in case I will make a request to the developers, showing them this thread.

The Airbrush has a problem: semi-transparent strokes. But in many cases it can be useful.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:45 pm  (#42) 
GimpChat Member

I am... agog. There is so much I don't know about everything. I am still not sure (yet) exactly what you did to achieve the clear, crisp lines in my limpet diagram, but they are exactly the sort of thing I had been aiming for and not getting (if I were a person who pulled hair, I would have gone bald about two weeks ago now). My next step is to see if I can reproduce these effects myself, but thank you and a thousand times again thank you for taking the time to look at the Illustrator image and coming up with what looks like a solution for me, at long last. My L.A. Memorial Day has been saved. One more time: thank you (thank you all).

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:12 pm  (#43) 
GimpChat Member

You're welcome!

Select all objects and copy/paste into a new bigger doc.
Keep selection active. Activate the selection tool (V) and Scale up (holding Shift key drag the corner outward) to fit the canvas.
Export as PNG. That's all i've done, actually.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:45 pm  (#44) 
GimpChat Member

Okay, done and done, and it looks great as a PNG! Now, how can I get it into SVG format and still look like that?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:07 pm  (#45) 
GimpChat Member

kds4444 wrote:
Okay, done and done, and it looks great as a PNG! Now, how can I get it into SVG format and still look like that?

This could be problematic, not all AI features are supported by SVG specs, I'm afraid.
That's where you had your jagged looking svg file problem in the first place. Some layers get rasterized by some reason.
Maybe it's even harder when you have 19 layers and convert them to svg. SVG supports layers but in the file
I downloaded from wikimedia there was only one. Try to make your Ai file a 1 layer and then save as svg.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:46 am  (#46) 
GimpChat Member

I was wanting to use Stroke Path with Clone Tool, and it was not possible. Searching I find this:
Warning: Currently, there’s a bug in GIMP when you try to use Stroke with a Paint Tool using a tool that requires you to set a source, such as Clone, Heal, and Perspective Clone. If you try to use this painting tool with Stroke Path, you’ll get an error dialog that says ‘‘Set a source image first’’ regardless of whether or not you’ve actually already set a source with that tool. This bug was confirmed in December of 2008. Hopefully itwill be fixed soon. In the meantime, there is a workaround you can use. Create a new layer and stroke your path there with a regular paint tool. Then use Layer Transparency Alpha to Selection to turn your stroke into a selection. Then hide your new layer and go back to the original layer. From here you can use the Clone tool in the selection defined by your stroke. It’s a few steps for a workaround, but at least it works.

From: http://www.gimpbible.com/wp-content/upl ... hapter.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:16 pm  (#47) 
GimpChat Member

Hi There,

I recently found this post in gimpchat and I really like this one particular post as it relates to Biology to a larger extent (content-wise).

Seeing the things on this post gives me the impression of 'pointed worms'. One particular image by K1TesseraEna appears to be some sort of coral snake or king snake due to its coloration.

But snakes have broad triangular heads. With a single path and gradient stroke does not give desired results. But... I got the appearance of fangs of snakes with canals as artifacts.
Attachment:
Fangs.jpg
Fangs.jpg [ 141.86 KiB | Viewed 3159 times ]

I hope you would agree with me.