It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 5:19 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Mandisa Portrait - WIP - Update Three
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:13 pm  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 28, 2012
Posts: 3060
Location: Idk where I am.
Okay well, time for another challenge!
This time I'm trying to draw Mandisa, she's also a Christian singer but she might be a bit more known because she was on American Idol, Simon Talked behind her back about her being fat and she found out and publicly forgave him and he apologized! SHE GOT HIM TO SAY SORRY SHE'S AUTOMATICALLY GREAT! XD She struggles with her weight, but we all know beauty is in the heart not the body, that's just a plus, and she's quite a beautiful hearted woman! I just hope I don't scuff up her outer beauty. :hehe

Reference:

Original Sketch:
Okay so, so far just the sketch, I did the sketch in MyPaint aside from a few minor details!
Her face angle is quite hard and I've never drawn this view successfully yet, but it's better than a full out front view I think.
Her hardest feature besides the lips (just because I'm so n00b at them even with tutorials xD) will he that curly hair!
I took artist's liberty with her hair since well her face looked a bit empty when I attempt to draw it so... xD

Sketch:
Image
Looking at the sketch now I think I have to lessen the lips, they're a bit too big still! D:


Update 0.1; Sketch "fixed"! -
I fixed/worked on the sketch in GIMP.

Image
]I worked on the angle a bit and fixed the face shape, also worked on those lips I think they look much better and not too big anymore! I also realized....I forgot to add her eyebrows! So I put those in there and I think this is a much better sketch than the original! *crumples and throws in the trash*. - The hair might need a bit of work in the sketching stage and the form of her shoulders/neck but the face itself I'm pretty happy with, but if anyone has an idea/critique feel free to say! I'm going to bed atm so the sketch won't be touched until tomorrow afternoon most likely! xD



Update 1:

I resized her head a bit in GIMP, it looked a bit unbelievably too big to after sleeping on it. xD


Image


Coloring so far all done in MyPaint still have much to go even for the basic shadows but this is just a taste I suppose. :P
I started coloring her face and eyes in and that's pretty much it, not much to tell!

Image

I also thought you might wanna see how I'm working in MyPaint; That box thing, for those who don't use MyPaint is called a "scratch pad" you can draw in it or put import a picture and it stays on top of the picture so you can use the reference w/o having to click around! It's quite neat, and you can draw over the picture so if you need help with an angle you can trace over it and see what to do better. Since I have the scratch pad opened I had to put the other boxes in their "window mode" I'm half out of room just with layers and the pad. xD

Image



Update 2 and 3:
Update 2:
I worked on the shading a bit and added the base of the hair, along with the first trace of the lips.
Mostly done in MyPaint, the base of the hair was added in GIMP.
Image


Update 3:

I worked on the hair a bit (it's still not done I'm not happy with it yet! XD), added some details, I tried to make her far eye a little bigger, the attempt at making her eye's less opened so far have failed so at least for now, I'm leaving as is unless I figure out how to fix it. I added some more lighting but she's not fully shaded yet! - All this done in GIMP.

Image


Update 4:

I worked on the hair a bit and I'm trying to get the clothes to look in the right angle...I'm not feeling very patient today so I'm a little irritated at the clothes. XD - I'm not too happy with her hair but I don't want to draw it all over again. :(
I went back and forth in GIMP and MyPaint a bit. I'm back in GIMP now. >.<
Image


CnC welcomed!

Enjoy!

~ God Bless ~

~ Moko

_________________
Image
Reality is a lovely place...But I wouldn't wanna live there.


Last edited by Mokonafan on Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Mandisa Portrait - WIP - Sketch part 2 - Fixed I think xD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:41 am  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 23, 2012
Posts: 7388
Location: Göteborg at last!
Some people have a strange idea of what "fat" is (not a word I ever use in that context). I haven't seen any pictures of this woman apart from your reference but she looks quite slim to me - not that it's anybody's business but her own! That's quite a good sketch Moko. Are you going to do more with it or leave it as it is?


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mandisa Portrait - WIP - Sketch part 2 - Fixed I think xD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:52 am  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Well, you guys know Simon. His mouth got him in a lot of trouble at times but he sure knows talent when he sees it. Good job Moko.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mandisa Portrait - WIP - Sketch part 2 - Fixed I think xD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:49 am  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 28, 2012
Posts: 3060
Location: Idk where I am.
Erisian wrote:
Some people have a strange idea of what "fat" is (not a word I ever use in that context). I haven't seen any pictures of this woman apart from your reference but she looks quite slim to me - not that it's anybody's business but her own! That's quite a good sketch Moko. Are you going to do more with it or leave it as it is?

Well she lost a lot of weight since then, so... X:

I'm hoping to color it in, but my mouse keeps dying so I might have to use my mother's mouse, in which case I might die so.... :lol

I'm glad you like it so far! :D

:tyspin

molly wrote:
Well, you guys know Simon. His mouth got him in a lot of trouble at times but he sure knows talent when he sees it. Good job Moko.


:tyspin

Edit:

Information in first post:
Image

_________________
Image
Reality is a lovely place...But I wouldn't wanna live there.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mandisa Portrait - WIP - Update One
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:17 pm  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 23, 2012
Posts: 7388
Location: Göteborg at last!
Coming along nicely Moko. Keep going! :)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mandisa Portrait - WIP - Update One
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:14 pm  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 19, 2013
Posts: 338
Location: the Netherlands
I have a feeling the space between the eyes is a little too big, but the rest is looking good so far! :bigthup


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mandisa Portrait - WIP - Update One
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:24 pm  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 08, 2010
Posts: 5420
Location: Northwest Ohio
oh, very good painting, it's definitely coming along. I never though Mandisa was fat, it's not like everyone has to be skin and bones! Besides, this is a singing competition and I don't see anyone complaining that Adele is too heavy, at least not once you hear her singing!


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mandisa Portrait - WIP - Update Two
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:50 pm  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 28, 2012
Posts: 3060
Location: Idk where I am.
Thank you for the nice comments!

@Spirit: I'm not sure yet with the eyes, I'll keep it in mind though! :tyspin

Update 2:

Image

_________________
Image
Reality is a lovely place...But I wouldn't wanna live there.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mandisa Portrait - WIP - Update Two
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:58 pm  (#9) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 25, 2011
Posts: 914
Location: Mount Olive, North Carolina
Looking good so far!

The smile in the reference photo is more subtle, but I think anyone familiar with the singer should easily recognize her.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mandisa Portrait - WIP - Update Two
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:00 pm  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 08, 2010
Posts: 5420
Location: Northwest Ohio
also, the eyelids are lower in the photo, more straight across, not opened up as wide. But it sure does look like her!


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mandisa Portrait - WIP - Update Two
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:00 pm  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 16, 2012
Posts: 4271
Location: Göteborg, Sweden
mokonafan: it's looking nice. i had no idea before i read about it here who mandisa was, but i think you're going to do what you did with that other christian singer portrait - capture the likeness without dropping your usual style, and that's a great achievement!
her eye on the viewer's right side looks too small, though. i think if you wanted to improve on something in the portrait you should take a new fresh look at her eyes.

_________________


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mandisa Portrait - WIP - Update Two
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:37 pm  (#12) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 28, 2012
Posts: 3060
Location: Idk where I am.
merrak wrote:
Looking good so far!

The smile in the reference photo is more subtle, but I think anyone familiar with the singer should easily recognize her.


Her smile is weird for me, since it's not a SMILE but she's obviously peaceful so she's not MAD or SAD so I'm all confused. xD
I see what you mean about it though!
I'm glad you think it looks good. :D

:tyspin

2-ton wrote:
also, the eyelids are lower in the photo, more straight across, not opened up as wide. But it sure does look like her!

I'm glad you think it looks like her! I see what you mean about the eyes, when I tried to make her look less wide opened she looked either very tired, or kinda mean...So... XD

:tyspin

AnMal wrote:
mokonafan: it's looking nice. i had no idea before i read about it here who mandisa was, but i think you're going to do what you did with that other christian singer portrait - capture the likeness without dropping your usual style, and that's a great achievement!
her eye on the viewer's right side looks too small, though. i think if you wanted to improve on something in the portrait you should take a new fresh look at her eyes.

Her eyes are giving me trouble! I see what you mean about it being too small, I tried to make it a little bigger but it's hard since I don't know the angle good AND it's very small in the reference so. D:!
Yes I'm going for my style but you can still tell who it is! If I tried full realism I'd probably give up. XD - Or if I was, I'd do on paper not with a mouse! :lol

:tyspin


Update 3:
Image
Information in first post!

_________________
Image
Reality is a lovely place...But I wouldn't wanna live there.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mandisa Portrait - WIP - Update Three
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:34 pm  (#13) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 28, 2012
Posts: 3060
Location: Idk where I am.
Update 4:

Information in first post; I think I should note that unless I do a MAJOR change this should be last update before finish...I don't know yet. xd

Image

_________________
Image
Reality is a lovely place...But I wouldn't wanna live there.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mandisa Portrait - WIP - Update Three
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:55 pm  (#14) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 23, 2012
Posts: 7388
Location: Göteborg at last!
That's looking really good Moko. I love her hair.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mandisa Portrait - WIP - Update Three
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:25 am  (#15) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 30, 2012
Posts: 2174
I agree with AnMal you are going to capture a likeness of this person and still keep that Moko style to the whole design which is a wonderful achievement. Looks excellent so far.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mandisa Portrait - WIP - Update Three
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:58 pm  (#16) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 28, 2012
Posts: 3060
Location: Idk where I am.
I'm probably gonna finish this tonight...I haven't been up to it. So... Yeah! Sorry for late responses! :X

Erisian wrote:
That's looking really good Moko. I love her hair.

You lover her hair...! Yay...! I don't!!! xD
I'm glad one of us does. anyways. :P

:tyspin

he4rty wrote:
I agree with AnMal you are going to capture a likeness of this person and still keep that Moko style to the whole design which is a wonderful achievement. Looks excellent so far.

Oh, that's a good thing? I thought it would be considered lazy because I'm not going "full realism"! xD
Thank you I'm glad you like it! :3

:tyspin

_________________
Image
Reality is a lovely place...But I wouldn't wanna live there.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group