It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 3:31 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Scroll Wheel Lock Up? (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:10 pm  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 02, 2013
Posts: 2090
GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level



Probably a dumb header, but for some reason, when I use the Bevel Reflect Logo plug in, it freezes up my GIMP. It doesn't do it until I select the font, and use the scroll, to scroll down. I scrolled down fast, using the wheel on my mouse, and it froze up. So, I tried doing it slow, and it did it again. Never had this problem before. Any suggestions?

Image

_________________
Image


Last edited by The Warrior on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Scroll Wheel Lock Up?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:45 pm  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 02, 2013
Posts: 2090
Man, I can't believe this. Downloaded, and replaced the scroll plug in, and BRL.scm, to no avail. Did a system restore, still didn't do anything. I guess I'll have to re-install GIMP. Really irritating that it worked fine one minute, then crashed the next. Not sure what the dealio is here.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Scroll Wheel Lock Up?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:58 pm  (#3) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14219
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
The Warrior wrote:
Man, I can't believe this. Downloaded, and replaced the scroll plug in, and BRL.scm, to no avail. Did a system restore, still didn't do anything. I guess I'll have to re-install GIMP. Really irritating that it worked fine one minute, then crashed the next. Not sure what the dealio is here.

Have you tried removing the "scroll plugin", and seeing if that works?
Also, I don't use this plugin and have never had this problem. Nor have I ever seen it until now.
Is this plugin a most recent addition to your Gimp?

Instead of the scroll plugin. I use a Windows script called "Alt Windows Drag".

http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9931#p129747

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Scroll Wheel Lock Up?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:06 pm  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 02, 2013
Posts: 2090
The BRL script is so large, you have to have the scroll wheel feature to access all of it. I did, however, remove the scroll plug in, and scrolling the font still caused this issue.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Scroll Wheel Lock Up?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:16 pm  (#5) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14219
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
The Warrior wrote:
The BRL script is so large, you have to have the scroll wheel feature to access all of it. I did, however, remove the scroll plug in, and scrolling the font still caused this issue.

You can access all the features of the BRL scm with the "Alt Windows Drag".
You may also try reducing some of your fonts, or look into GURM or some other Gimp resource manager. To help at lighten what loads when you run your Gimp.
I'm not sure if this will help, but it couldn't hurt, and if it work then great.
It's only a suggestion and not something that I know will work.

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Scroll Wheel Lock Up?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:14 am  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 02, 2013
Posts: 2090
Wallace wrote:
You may also try reducing some of your fonts

I used my font manager, and found 4 corrupt fonts. Not sure what happened to them. Ones I rarely used anyways. On the font manager, (AMP Font Manager) it has the "Sample" window that shows the font. Four of them, only showed a few letters, for whatever reason. Got rid of those, plus a host of others I never used. So far, so good. Thanks Wallace, gonna call this one solved.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Scroll Wheel Lock Up?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:31 am  (#7) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14219
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
The Warrior wrote:
Wallace wrote:
You may also try reducing some of your fonts

I used my font manager, and found 4 corrupt fonts. Not sure what happened to them. Ones I rarely used anyways. On the font manager, (AMP Font Manager) it has the "Sample" window that shows the font. Four of them, only showed a few letters, for whatever reason. Got rid of those, plus a host of others I never used. So far, so good. Thanks Wallace, gonna call this one solved.

Okay, that's good. :bigthup
Sounds like you have a descent font manager.
I was only guessing at what might've caused the issue. Maybe it was those bad fonts that was causing the issue.
To me, it seemed like it might have something to do with your fonts in some way.
Only time will tell.

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Scroll Wheel Lock Up? (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:40 pm  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 02, 2013
Posts: 2090
For whatever reason, I'm having the same problem again. Went through the fonts, and don't see any bad ones.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Scroll Wheel Lock Up? (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:04 pm  (#9) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 02, 2013
Posts: 2090
I used 2 fonts before that happened. Removed those two fonts, and it works right again. Strange.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Scroll Wheel Lock Up? (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:55 pm  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
You better be very careful when you are removing fonts. If you remove some of the default system ones you could get yourself in a lot of trouble. There are a lot of web sites that use those and if you remove them you may not be able to open the sites.
Anyway, just be careful.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Scroll Wheel Lock Up? (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:25 pm  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 02, 2013
Posts: 2090
It's the ones in my .gimp folder.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Scroll Wheel Lock Up? (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:42 pm  (#12) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14219
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
The Warrior wrote:
I used 2 fonts before that happened. Removed those two fonts, and it works right again. Strange.

You're right, that is strange.
There may be some connecting issue with your fonts and something else. Although I can't begin to say what that might be.
You might try running gimp with "verbose" in "command prompt", and see if anything unusual shows up connected with fonts.

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Scroll Wheel Lock Up? (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:57 pm  (#13) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 02, 2013
Posts: 2090
The first time this happened, I was using the scroll bar, went down fast, and off the bar, onto my desktop. That's when it happened the first time. Not sure how that corrupted the fonts, but it did. This time, I was enlarging the font dialogue box, and sort of the same thing happened. It kind of slipped off the corner, and grabbed a desktop icon. May sound strange, but that's what happened.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Scroll Wheel Lock Up? (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:08 pm  (#14) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 02, 2013
Posts: 2090
Just installed "Alt Windows Drag".

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Scroll Wheel Lock Up? (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:09 pm  (#15) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14219
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
The Warrior wrote:
The first time this happened, I was using the scroll bar, went down fast, and off the bar, onto my desktop. That's when it happened the first time. Not sure how that corrupted the fonts, but it did. This time, I was enlarging the font dialogue box, and sort of the same thing happened. It kind of slipped off the corner, and grabbed a desktop icon. May sound strange, but that's what happened.

That's odd...
Are you using a mouse, or a pen tablet?

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Scroll Wheel Lock Up? (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:09 pm  (#16) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 02, 2013
Posts: 2090
Wallace wrote:
The Warrior wrote:
The first time this happened, I was using the scroll bar, went down fast, and off the bar, onto my desktop. That's when it happened the first time. Not sure how that corrupted the fonts, but it did. This time, I was enlarging the font dialogue box, and sort of the same thing happened. It kind of slipped off the corner, and grabbed a desktop icon. May sound strange, but that's what happened.

That's odd...
Are you using a mouse, or a pen tablet?

Mouse.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Scroll Wheel Lock Up? (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:12 pm  (#17) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14219
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
The Warrior wrote:
Just installed "Alt Windows Drag".

That works great for me and I also have the dialog slider thing installed. Some of the dialogs don't display the slider. Even when the dialog is off the screen, so I use the Alt Drag.

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Last edited by Wallace on Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Post subject: Re: Scroll Wheel Lock Up? (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:14 pm  (#18) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 02, 2013
Posts: 2090
Alt Drag works great. :bigthup

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Scroll Wheel Lock Up? (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:15 pm  (#19) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14219
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
The Warrior wrote:
Mouse.

Do you have another mouse you can try using and see if that has any effect or not?

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Scroll Wheel Lock Up? (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:17 pm  (#20) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14219
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
The Warrior wrote:
Alt Drag works great. :bigthup

Yeah...
I run it at start-up, so I don't have to keep turning it on when I need it.

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group