It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 1:08 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Can't get polka dot pattern seamless without distorting[Solved] thanks
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:00 am  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Linux
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level



I am making some polka dot patterns and can't get them seamless without distorting them. I have been using Map > Make seamless. Is there a better way? Thanks
Image

_________________
Image


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Can't get polka dot pattern seamless without distorting
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:22 am  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 04, 2011
Posts: 2615
you either need to crop to the exact centre of the dot
http://i.imgur.com/A8xpxA2.jpg
or
half way between the dots http://i.imgur.com/Rm9vRRh.jpg


Top
 Post subject: Re: Can't get polka dot pattern seamless without distorting
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:28 am  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Thanks Rich, I will give that a try right away.

EDIT: It worked and thank you. I couldn't make it completely square though to make a sphere out of but at least it is seamless.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Can't get polka dot pattern seamless without distorting
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:20 am  (#4) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
rich2005 wrote:
you either need to crop to the exact centre of the dot
http://i.imgur.com/A8xpxA2.jpg
or
half way between the dots http://i.imgur.com/Rm9vRRh.jpg


Sufficient, but not necessary. You have to crop to any rectangle which is the size of the repeating pattern (or a multiple thereof). For a pattern such as polka dots, cutting between dot centers is an easy way to determine the spatial frequency but there are patterns with less obvious dimensions.

A good way to determine the minimum pattern size:
  • duplicate the layer
  • put the top layer in "difference" mode: everything goes black
  • Use the Move tool to shift the top layer to the right and down, this makes the pattern appear then disappear completely again (if it's really periodic).
  • Measure the move, either:
    • Move with the cursor keys and count the keystrokes
    • Check the layer boundaries against the side rulers
    • In the python console (assuming only one image loaded):
      print gimp.image_list()[0].layers[0].offsets

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Can't get polka dot pattern seamless without distorting
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:47 am  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Thank you ofnuts, I will try that too.
I tried it but the polka dots aren't lined up so I guess that pattern can't be made seamless. I didn't know what you meant by that code. I didn't know what to do with it.
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Can't get polka dot pattern seamless without distorting
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:15 am  (#6) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14219
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
molly wrote:
Thank you ofnuts, I will try that too.
I tried it but the polka dots aren't lined up so I guess that pattern can't be made seamless. I didn't know what you meant by that code. I didn't know what to do with it.
Image

Hay Moolly, lylejk would be a good guy to ask about this. He's great at making seamless textures. Maybe he can shed more light on this for you.

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Can't get polka dot pattern seamless without distorting
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:32 am  (#7) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
molly wrote:
Thank you ofnuts, I will try that too.
I tried it but the polka dots aren't lined up so I guess that pattern can't be made seamless. I didn't know what you meant by that code. I didn't know what to do with it.
Image


To be made seamless with a small tile, the dots should be exactly at 45° and they are a bit off. Technically you can also make that seamless but the tile will be 20000x199999 or some other silly value.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Can't get polka dot pattern seamless without distorting
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:46 am  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
wow, I guess I will forget about that then. I will just look for some that are lined up. Thanks.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Can't get polka dot pattern seamless without distorting
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:55 am  (#9) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14219
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
molly wrote:
wow, I guess I will forget about that then. I will just look for some that are lined up. Thanks.

Check this out Molly...
Image

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Can't get polka dot pattern seamless without distorting
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:12 am  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Thanks Wallace, as long as I can get those edge ones centered.
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Can't get polka dot pattern seamless without distorting
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:16 am  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 04, 2011
Posts: 2615
Symmetry is not rocket science. Mollys pattern has an offset so takes a little more thought.

Always best to start off with a pattern in mind rather than make something than try and adapt it.

It can be done in a minute. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph429_vY7K4&hd=1

but symmetry in nature is much more wonderful

This little chap turned up on my footpath Tuesday afternoon, got a shot before it flew off. Common in the UK a Peacock butterfly but I am Urban and 55 deg north and it is April

Attachment:
peacock_butterfly.jpg
peacock_butterfly.jpg [ 104.74 KiB | Viewed 3004 times ]


Last edited by rich2005 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Post subject: Re: Can't get polka dot pattern seamless without distorting
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:20 am  (#12) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14219
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
molly wrote:
So you are saying you painted the white dots on the purple layer?

Yes you can do it that way or make it transparent.
You can also do it like this... (White dots on Purple)
Image

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Can't get polka dot pattern seamless without distorting
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:33 am  (#13) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
rich2005 wrote:
Symmetry is not rocket science. Mollys pattern has an offset so takes a little more thought.

Always best to start off with a pattern in mind rather than make something than try and adapt it.

It can be done in a minute. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph429_vY7K4&hd=1

but symmetry in nature is much more wonderful

This little chap turned up on my footpath Tuesday afternoon, got a shot before it flew off. Common in the UK a Peacock butterfly but I am Urban and 55 deg north and it is April

Attachment:
peacock_butterfly.jpg


Thank you Rich, You have a very nice voice for giving tutes. No it wasn't hard.
BTW, beautiful shot of the butterfly, you must carry your camera around with you. :pengy

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Can't get polka dot pattern seamless without distorting[Solved] th
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:14 pm  (#14) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14198
Location: Spain, Aragón
Molly, I find much more original shape your pattern, no round exactly.

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Can't get polka dot pattern seamless without distorting[Solved] th
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:24 pm  (#15) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
I can't understand that. I used the same brush size for them all and I see where some of them aren't quite round.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Can't get polka dot pattern seamless without distorting[Solved] th
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:15 pm  (#16) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Posts: 5127
Location: Metro Vancouver, BC
For quick fills with lots of options there is, G'MIC /Patterns / Polka dots.

_________________
Image
Gimp 2.8.18, Linux, median user
Gimp Chat Tutorials Index
Spirit Bear (Kermode)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Can't get polka dot pattern seamless without distorting[Solved] th
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:16 pm  (#17) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
I tried that Odin, but couldn't make them seamless.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Can't get polka dot pattern seamless without distorting[Solved] th
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:18 pm  (#18) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Posts: 5127
Location: Metro Vancouver, BC
molly wrote:
I tried that Odin, but couldn't make them seamless.
I mentioned G'MIC Polka dots for "quick fills" not seamless patterns. Even when it's used for quick fills, depending on canvas size you may need to adjust size and density.
By default Polka dots seems to work best if you don't use powers of 2 for canvas size.
For example, use 1000x800px or 500x500px rather than 1024x768px or 512x512px.

_________________
Image
Gimp 2.8.18, Linux, median user
Gimp Chat Tutorials Index
Spirit Bear (Kermode)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Can't get polka dot pattern seamless without distorting[Solved] th
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:24 pm  (#19) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Thanks odin

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Can't get polka dot pattern seamless without distorting[Solved] th
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:44 pm  (#20) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Feb 18, 2011
Posts: 4826
Location: Bendigo Vic. Australia
Molly maybe the script 'Pattern from Image' could help
1/ create a single dot on a bkg, in the centre
Image
2/ run 'Pattern from Image'
Image
3/ you now have a seamless dots pattern
Image

_________________
Image
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group