It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 12:00 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: How to select dark/light/medium tones of an image/photograph
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:20 pm  (#1) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: May 07, 2014
Posts: 4558
Location: Canada
GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level



Hello Gimp experts.
Long time ago I followed a tutorial on the internet.
In this tutorial, it showed how to select dark/light/medium tones and created layer masks out of them.
So you could change levels/colorize and all sort of stuff with these selections.
It had to do something with channels. It has been a long time and I forgot how to make layer masks that block out all darker/lighter/medium tones.
I tried searching for this tutorial on the net but can't find it anymore.
So if you know how, please share.
Hopefully the subject makes sense so in the future i can find this again.
Thanks in advance.

_________________
Image
Visualize your and others dreams coming true.


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: How to select dark/light/medium tones of an image/photograph
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:40 pm  (#2) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: May 07, 2014
Posts: 4558
Location: Canada
I found it :yes
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Luminosity_Masks/

_________________
Image
Visualize your and others dreams coming true.


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to select dark/light/medium tones of an image/photograph
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:41 pm  (#3) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Apr 23, 2010
Posts: 1553
Location: not from Guildford after all
While it's not the tutorial to which you refer (as it only appeared on the web five months ago), the following tutorial by Patdavid provides a good description of the technique.

http://blog.patdavid.net/2011/10/gettin ... masks.html

_________________
Any sufficiently primitive technology is indistinguishable from a rock.


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to select dark/light/medium tones of an image/photograph
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:44 pm  (#4) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: May 07, 2014
Posts: 4558
Location: Canada
great, thanks!
I'll read that one too!

I followed that tutorial, it's great how they create channels out of desaturated channels. But I just want to play with the tonal layers so I created a script that creates all 9 layers for me found here -> http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10470.
One click and the 9 layers are generated for me, I just have to play with them.

_________________
Image
Visualize your and others dreams coming true.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group