It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 9:01 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Is it possible to make this in Gimp?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:54 pm  (#1) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Jun 08, 2014
Posts: 2
GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level



I want to make a large realistic looking road system like the one in the photos I have attached, so our fire department can do training like this. The guy where I found this photo from online said he used photoshop, but I really don't want to buy photoshop. Is this possible with Gimp? Any help/tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!


Attachments:
upld2.JPG
upld2.JPG [ 2.81 MiB | Viewed 3103 times ]
File comment: This is the photo from this guy's road
upld.JPG
upld.JPG [ 2.82 MiB | Viewed 3103 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Is it possible to make this in Gimp?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:01 pm  (#2) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
Yes, but... Given it's mostly lines it will be done more efficiently using vector graphics which are better done with Inkscape.

Given the size of the thing I wonder how he printed everything... that requires a very wide printer, or printing and splicing very many sheets.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Is it possible to make this in Gimp?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:09 pm  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
I sure wouldn't want to be the one to tackle it. all those roads and little trucks etc, it seems almost impossible.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Is it possible to make this in Gimp?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:08 pm  (#4) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
The trucks, trees, trains and buildings are models, Molly.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Is it possible to make this in Gimp?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:18 pm  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
oh, well that helps :teeth. thanks. still looks very hard.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Is it possible to make this in Gimp?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:58 pm  (#6) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Jun 08, 2014
Posts: 2
Thanks for the help guys. I think he said he used a plotter printer. I would hope that I could take it to a print shop if I needed a big one. Thanks again!


Top
 Post subject: Re: Is it possible to make this in Gimp?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:07 pm  (#7) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
jared449 wrote:
I think he said he used a plotter printer.


Then vector graphics are all the more recommended.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Is it possible to make this in Gimp?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:25 pm  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Founder
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 5241
Location: Gimpville
jared449 wrote:
The guy where I found this photo from online said he used photoshop, but I really don't want to buy photoshop. Is this possible with Gimp?

Yes. It is possible.

Here are a few threads to look over that can assist you in duplicating this in GIMP.

Lines and curves
http://www.gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5934

Dotted Lines
http://www.gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6598

Asphalt Texture Tutorial
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9760

Asphalt Texture Script
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9775

You can easily create thicker, color filled lines by using the rectangular and circular select tools, Stroke the selection (or convert selection to path & stroke), then fill.

Image

Hope that helps!

_________________
“If you reach for the stars, you just might land on a decently sized hill.” - Stuart Hill


Top
 Post subject: Re: Is it possible to make this in Gimp?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:14 am  (#9) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Feb 18, 2011
Posts: 4826
Location: Bendigo Vic. Australia
This would be invaluable to help you create all the path shapes required by for your undertaking
arakne-path-shape-creator-6

_________________
Image
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group