It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 6:11 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: getting a READABLE PDF out of Patdavid's tuts (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:14 am  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level



Hi.
I often read Patdavid's tutorials, they are so useful and well done.
Sometimes I would like to get a written copy of one of them; I tried using many virtual printers, but I always get the PDF with an unreadable text.
I suppose -but I'm not at all an expert on that- that it could depend from the font used (I say that beacause I regularly "print" browser's pages when I see something very interesting, and I get perfectly readable PDF).
Hence my request:
did somebody ever tried to "print to PDF" a tutorial from Patdavid?
And did he/she get a readable document? Using which virtual printer?

Thanks a lot...

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Last edited by dinasset on Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: getting a READABLE PDF out of Patdavid's tuts
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:15 am  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 04, 2011
Posts: 2615
No replies? No use showing anything linux, which is a bit easier.

In Windows (a win7 VM) using Firefox, (even when I used Win, never used IE, still have a Netscape licensed floppy somewhere)

For a PDF virtual printer, used PDFcreator from Sourceforge, which I know from old. That was a bit of a shock, beware of the advertising addons - which never used to be there.

1. Starting in Firefox, make sure you have the toolbar enabled. The webpage looks like this. http://i.imgur.com/KjtUzKS.jpg


2. Change the page style to 'no style' looks like this http://i.imgur.com/lfKfnQY.jpg

3. Printing to PDFcreator, I was trying to get some change in the pesky bold and coloured fonts that are used, without much success. http://i.imgur.com/usZpkFC.jpg

4. Still some tidy up required and these days LibreOffice Draw is not a bad PDF editor, not wonderful but not bad. I went back to linux for this example, I would hope Win is the same
select the side bar http://i.imgur.com/YUbHRWj.jpg
then delete it http://i.imgur.com/hTaIwz1.jpg

You can also get rid of the end, comments pages if needed.

Still have those bold, titles/highlights which you can resize/edit but tedious. Depends how keen you are ;) The PDF exported from LO is generally readable.


Top
 Post subject: Re: getting a READABLE PDF out of Patdavid's tuts
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:20 am  (#3) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
Print to file from Firefox works OK for me (on Linux).

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: getting a READABLE PDF out of Patdavid's tuts (SOLVED!)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:48 am  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
Thanks a lot!
Just following the (easy) indication of using Firefox as browser (I usually use Iron, or Opera, or Avant) I got a readable PDF; it took quite a lot of time, very likely the Firefox interface to the PDF printer (as usually I used Adobe) makes a font conversion.
Anyhow, I'm very happy!!!
Thanks again!

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: getting a READABLE PDF out of Patdavid's tuts (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:58 am  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 12, 2012
Posts: 178
Location: Mobile, AL USA
Just a note, I'm approachable (I promise I don't bite. much.). :)

Ok, a more enterprising person would probably take this as a sign to compile all the tutorials into a nicely formatted e-book/print-book and charge money for it.

not this guy :)

It may take a little while, and I can't promise it will work in all browsers, but if you give me a few I'll whip up a print-specific stylesheet that should make the print version much, much more palatable (readable/less-annoying/no-sidebars/etc...).

I'll report back shortly for you to test.

_________________
patdavid.net
Image
PIXLS.US F/OSS Photography


Top
 Post subject: Re: getting a READABLE PDF out of Patdavid's tuts (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:14 am  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
really good news!
Thanks a lot Pat!

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: getting a READABLE PDF out of Patdavid's tuts (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:28 am  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 12, 2012
Posts: 178
Location: Mobile, AL USA
dinasset wrote:
really good news!
Thanks a lot Pat!

Don't thank me until I've got it worked out... :)

_________________
patdavid.net
Image
PIXLS.US F/OSS Photography


Top
 Post subject: Re: getting a READABLE PDF out of Patdavid's tuts (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:00 am  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 12, 2012
Posts: 178
Location: Mobile, AL USA
Ok, I've thrown together a css print stylesheet. Can you please try printing a page and tell me if it looks any better?

_________________
patdavid.net
Image
PIXLS.US F/OSS Photography


Top
 Post subject: Re: getting a READABLE PDF out of Patdavid's tuts (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:44 am  (#9) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
Hi Pat.
First trial using Iron.
Got an almost completely readable text, except for the title.
See attachment

Attachment:
Ashampoo_Snap_2014.06.09_18h43m16s_001_.png
Ashampoo_Snap_2014.06.09_18h43m16s_001_.png [ 121.32 KiB | Viewed 3445 times ]

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: getting a READABLE PDF out of Patdavid's tuts (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:50 am  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
second trial, using Opera
same result (OK 99%, not the title - even if somehow readable)

Attachment:
Ashampoo_Snap_2014.06.09_18h50m01s_002_.png
Ashampoo_Snap_2014.06.09_18h50m01s_002_.png [ 257.97 KiB | Viewed 3443 times ]

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: getting a READABLE PDF out of Patdavid's tuts (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:54 am  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
thitd trial, using Avant
same as previous two
(I will not try Firefox, because the only one that was successful also before your modifications)

Attachment:
Ashampoo_Snap_2014.06.09_18h54m20s_003_.png
Ashampoo_Snap_2014.06.09_18h54m20s_003_.png [ 121.17 KiB | Viewed 2262 times ]

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: getting a READABLE PDF out of Patdavid's tuts (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:55 am  (#12) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
In all tests, anyhow, it's very useful to get the text without boring by-side info.
Thanks...

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: getting a READABLE PDF out of Patdavid's tuts (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:15 pm  (#13) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 12, 2012
Posts: 178
Location: Mobile, AL USA
Ah, ok. This is because you don't have the font installed that I use for the titles. I'll fix that right up.

Give it another go, just replaced the stylesheet so all fonts revert to Times/serif (ewwww).

_________________
patdavid.net
Image
PIXLS.US F/OSS Photography


Top
 Post subject: Re: getting a READABLE PDF out of Patdavid's tuts (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:25 pm  (#14) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
OK Pat.
Just one single trial, because all three browsers behawe in a similar way
ALL OK !!!

Attachment:
Ashampoo_Snap_2014.06.09_19h23m37s_004_.png
Ashampoo_Snap_2014.06.09_19h23m37s_004_.png [ 161.81 KiB | Viewed 2256 times ]


May I now say: thanks! thanks! thanks!

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: getting a READABLE PDF out of Patdavid's tuts (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:33 pm  (#15) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 12, 2012
Posts: 178
Location: Mobile, AL USA
Oh good, glad to see it works ok. Sorry I had to revert to such base fonts, but it's the only way to be safe. Plus I'm too lazy to track down all the places where I should have added id's or at least classes where there were strange fonts in use to fail gracefully.

Just another line item for an eventual re-design I suppose... :)

_________________
patdavid.net
Image
PIXLS.US F/OSS Photography


Top
 Post subject: Re: getting a READABLE PDF out of Patdavid's tuts (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:58 am  (#16) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14198
Location: Spain, Aragón
Thank Pat David for your fantastic tutorials. :jumpclap But thanks to Dinasset too :yes , who have tought me to get your tutorials from the web. Both of you thanks :tyspin

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.


Top
 Post subject: Re: getting a READABLE PDF out of Patdavid's tuts (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:53 am  (#17) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 10, 2013
Posts: 863
I am a fan of blog.patdavid.net, the content of this blog has taught me a lot, and is a reference when I think of editing images.
Blog content available in this format is another differential.
Saying thank you is the least I could do.
:tyspin Thx u very much David! :tyspin

_________________
bbbbbbbbbbbImage
bbbbbbbbbbb Be patient, English is not my language.


Top
 Post subject: Re: getting a READABLE PDF out of Patdavid's tuts (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:58 am  (#18) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 12, 2012
Posts: 178
Location: Mobile, AL USA
Issabella wrote:
Thank Pat David for your fantastic tutorials. :jumpclap But thanks to Dinasset too :yes , who have taught me to get your tutorials from the web. Both of you thanks :tyspin

You're very welcome! Let me know if anything looks strange or wonky! :)

_________________
patdavid.net
Image
PIXLS.US F/OSS Photography


Top
 Post subject: Re: getting a READABLE PDF out of Patdavid's tuts (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:45 pm  (#19) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 23, 2011
Posts: 71
I use Print Friendly to cleanup "busy" articles to make them easier to read, or to make PDFs. Also, it's easy to remove things that you don't want in your pdf. They have a toolbar bookmarklet, too.

http://www.printfriendly.com/

_________________
Image


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group