It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 10:45 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Problems opening TIFF file
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:41 pm  (#1) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Jun 20, 2014
Posts: 2
GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
using it in VMware Player in Ubuntu 14.04 Tools

List any ERROR messages you received:
TIFF image message:
-Unknown field with tag 33922 (0x8482) encountered
-Unknown field with tag 34735 (0x87af) encountered
-Unknown field with tag 34736 (0x87b0) encountered
Too many error messages:
-messages are redirected to stderr




I am new to Gimp and this is just frustrating me. I have TIFF file that wont open and the errors that are popping up i don't understand what they mean or where to start to solve to problem.


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Problems opening TIFF file
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:23 pm  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Founder
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 5241
Location: Gimpville
Can you zip the image and attach it here, so we can take a look? .

_________________
“If you reach for the stars, you just might land on a decently sized hill.” - Stuart Hill


Top
 Post subject: Re: Problems opening TIFF file
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:22 pm  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Posts: 5127
Location: Metro Vancouver, BC
Post Ubuntu terminal tiffinfo.
tiffinfo your.tiff

_________________
Image
Gimp 2.8.18, Linux, median user
Gimp Chat Tutorials Index
Spirit Bear (Kermode)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Problems opening TIFF file
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:14 pm  (#4) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Jun 20, 2014
Posts: 2
The TIFF file is a little big so its taking a while to download but I was able to open the file in octave and save it under as a variable name. It opens as a blank image so now all I am trying to do is open it from octave into GIMP. How do I do that exactly?


Top
 Post subject: Re: Problems opening TIFF file
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:19 am  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 04, 2011
Posts: 2615
Details of the tiff file as Odinbc indicated are needed
but as a guess
In the past I have seen large 1 bit tiff files (of engineering drawings) that have been saved in tiff 'fax' format that Gimp fails to open. As a fix other applications (XnViewMP) can convert to a different format. From memory the other issue was visibility, 1 bit = black/white and a very large canvas with single pixel lines can look blank until viewed at a high 'zoom'.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Problems opening TIFF file
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:40 am  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Nov 14, 2013
Posts: 101
I wonder what other graphic progs you have installed. Whenever I cant open a file in program x I try to open it in another prog. Xnview or Irfanview are good ones - then save it from them. What program created the file in the first place?

_________________
using Gimp 2.10.8 with Linux on an ancient laptop


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group