It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 12:13 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Can traceable text be done in gimp?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:25 pm  (#1) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8473
Location: On the other side of your screen
GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 7 Home Premium
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level



Image

I know you can download fonts that are traceable but I cannot make them large enough for my use.
I did some lettering > text to path and stroked the path and got the above. Can any teachers in here tell me if this is ok for little ones, 4 and a half to 5? My daughter is being told by kindergarten teachers her daughter should already know how to do her letters but she can't.
Oh they are all much bigger. 3 x A4 pages (landscape) each but I had to make the picture considerable smaller before posting.

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Can traceable text be done in gimp?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:34 am  (#2) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8473
Location: On the other side of your screen
It can be done I think! I just tried it again shrinking selection then stroking. Not perfect but it can be done...I hope..

Kinda wondering if children could learn by drawing in between the lines instead of on.

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Top
 Post subject: Re: Can traceable text be done in gimp?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:47 am  (#3) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14219
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
I was just thinking.
If you want the letters and numbers to be written "inside" the lines. Wouldn't it be better to have a "solid" Line, instead of dashes?

You may have seen this website before, so I'm not sure if it's of any help to you... http://www.education.com/worksheets/kin ... n/writing/

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Can traceable text be done in gimp?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:28 am  (#4) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8473
Location: On the other side of your screen
Actually I thought about that Wallace, after I done them.
Most sites only give an option of 72 as the biggest type. I'll check your link out and see if it is one I have seen.

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Top
 Post subject: Re: Can traceable text be done in gimp?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:26 pm  (#5) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Posts: 697
There are a number of dashed/dotted fonts made specifically for this purpose that might work:

http://www.fontspace.com/blue-vinyl/print-clearly
http://www.dafont.com/kg-primary-dots.font
http://www.fonts101.com/fonts/view/Unca ... int_Dashed
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Prod ... ont-446675 (login required?)

(no guarantees on the quality or licensing of any of these fonts...)

-Rob A>

_________________
Image
Fantasy Cartography and Mapping by RobA


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group