It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 5:30 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Big Star (Which one you like better?)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:55 pm  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 28, 2012
Posts: 3060
Location: Idk where I am.
I like #1, for sure! The second one looks a little dirty like it was dropped in the mud imo...but that's just my opinion! xD
Nice work. :3

_________________
Image
Reality is a lovely place...But I wouldn't wanna live there.


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Big Star (Which one you like better?)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:50 am  (#2) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Feb 18, 2011
Posts: 4826
Location: Bendigo Vic. Australia
they both seem a little to sharp around the edge

_________________
Image
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Big Star (Which one you like better?)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:25 am  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 28, 2014
Posts: 137
Number one looks more plausible. I think the black spots are an issue with the second and against a darker base, some of the bright swirls look more artificial.

Still cool though :).

_________________
Margaret McGaffey Fisk
steampunk, fantasy, science fiction, and romance author
Tales to Tide You Over


Top
 Post subject: Re: Big Star (Which one you like better?)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:28 am  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2012
Posts: 949
Location: Mesa, AZ
I like the colors better in the first one. The second one is too dark in places to be a believable star which is a reactor for light and energy. Dark spots look kind of out of place because of that. I would even go as far as dodging in some white areas, maybe with a rendered cloud layer or something. Grae was spot on with the sharpness. You could benefit from a gaussian blur halo around the outside as well as a soft blur towards the edges. This will help it look dimensional too. You could also try to mess with the lens filter and bend the whole thing, or map to sphere before you overlay any of the swirls. That will keep your texture from looking like a cut out circle. Stars are tricky like that because you don't get to fake roundness with shadows, like for planets; you have to accomplish it with texture and perspective alone.

All in all though, I commend you for tackling something a little more complex like this. It's definitely a good direction to explore.

_________________
Image

I now have a Tumblr, check it out!


Top
 Post subject: Re: Big Star (Which one you like better?)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:22 am  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 590
I like #1.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Big Star (Which one you like better?)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:23 am  (#6) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8473
Location: On the other side of your screen
I like the first one. Much more dramatic.

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Top
 Post subject: Re: Big Star (Which one you like better?)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:51 am  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Posts: 2089
Location: US
I love the way you did the planets - with glowing atmosphere and all. Very realistic looking,
although in such close proximity to the star there would be no atmosphere left.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Big Star (Which one you like better?)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:35 pm  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 08, 2010
Posts: 5420
Location: Northwest Ohio
I think the first one looks much more realistic.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group