pirate541 wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level
Most times now a days,when I try to undo a layer,the edit(undo) is greyed out.
It doesn't happen every time,but it is happening a lot..
I end up by having to delete that layer and work on it again..very aggravating
Any idea why it is happening?
I have seen this happen when some script/filter misbehaves and leaves the undo stack disabled. This can be fixed:
- Make sure you have only one image open in Gimp
- Start the python console
- Copy the following line:
gimp.image_list()[0].enable_undo()
and strike [enter] - If the answer is "True" my hypothesis was correct. If "False" then I'm wrong. If anything else then you mistyped something

Note that the procedure above just allows the undo stack to operate again but will not restore its contents, so you can't undo action prior to this fix. You still have to find which script/filter you use that causes this problem and have it fixed (report the bug or else).