It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 7:59 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Getting started
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:49 am  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 01, 2014
Posts: 11
GIMP Version: 2.8.2
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level



Hi
I cannot seem to draw a thin line. When I select a pencil or brush (under tool) I get a thick line.

No matter how hard I try I cannot seem to edit this line to the width I require (I mean I can't even find the section of the program that allows me to edit the line or specify its thickness).

By the way ,can I draw mathematical graphs such as parallelograms or will I need a specific mathematical /graph program?

Thanks in advance.


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Getting started
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:33 am  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Click the brush icon, then when the dialogue comes up, you can change your brush size by increasing or decreasing the numbers. If you want a straight line, hold down on your shift key.
You can also use your bracket keys to change the size up or down.
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Getting started
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:12 am  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 01, 2014
Posts: 11
Thanks a lot.

Maybe my free version doesn't allow me to see those icons.

What you call "the dialogue" just doesn't show.

Perhaps there is a fault with my programme.(some kind of a drop out ?).

Maybe there is somewhere where I can chose to hide or display this "dialogue box" and it is set to "hidden" ?


Top
 Post subject: Re: Getting started
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:20 am  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Image

Look at the two blue boxes. The box on the left is your tools menu. If you don't have that, click on the box on your right with the little arrow, and a dialogue will come up, click add tab, then click tool options menu. Now when you open a tool that options menu should show below it, no matter what tool you are using.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Getting started
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:34 am  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 161
geordief, I am new here, but I am sure everyone here will agree that Gimp has always been free. I don't believe there is a paid version. I have a different 'theme' so my picture will look a little different, but I think this might help with what you are trying to find. :bigthup


Attachments:
Gimp.png
Gimp.png [ 158.92 KiB | Viewed 4520 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: Getting started
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:36 am  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 01, 2014
Posts: 11
Attachment:
gimp.jpg
gimp.jpg [ 116.97 KiB | Viewed 4519 times ]
No I don't even get those 2 blue boxes.

I have uploaded a screenshot which is the closest I can find to a screen that might allow me to alter the width of pencil strokes -but it doesn't do that.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Getting started
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:39 am  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Do what Charlie mentioned, go up to Windows then click single mode and your Gimp will be all together.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Getting started
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:42 am  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 01, 2014
Posts: 11
Attachment:
gimp.jpg
gimp.jpg [ 135.37 KiB | Viewed 4516 times ]


Like that ? (I have done what you suggested -and I could see that Charle had done that )

Wow? There is something missing here. Where did you download your GIMP from, what OS are you using, Windows, Linux, Mac?
Your Gimp should look like this in single mode
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Getting started
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:46 am  (#9) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 01, 2014
Posts: 11
Attachment:
gimp.jpg
gimp.jpg [ 145.66 KiB | Viewed 4515 times ]


Here's another screenshot.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Getting started
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:48 am  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 01, 2014
Posts: 11
molly wrote:
Wow? There is something missing here. Where did you download your GIMP from, what OS are you using, Windows, Linux, Mac?

It is a long time ago and I have hardly used it till now. I am using Windows 7.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Getting started
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:50 am  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 161
I think I found it!


Attachments:
gimp.jpg
gimp.jpg [ 269.95 KiB | Viewed 2251 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: Getting started
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:54 am  (#12) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 01, 2014
Posts: 11
Attachment:
gimp.jpg
gimp.jpg [ 187.37 KiB | Viewed 2249 times ]


thanks but I don't think that moves me forward


Top
 Post subject: Re: Getting started
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:58 am  (#13) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
No, you need it to look like mine. What version is your Gimp. go to Help > about and a dialogue with come up with the version you are using.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Getting started
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:01 am  (#14) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 161
Maybe this. At the top click on windows/ dockable dialogs/ tool options


Attachments:
Gimp.png
Gimp.png [ 180.1 KiB | Viewed 2248 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: Getting started
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:02 am  (#15) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 01, 2014
Posts: 11
Attachment:
gimp.jpg
gimp.jpg [ 169.23 KiB | Viewed 2247 times ]


here we go.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Getting started
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:03 am  (#16) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Try what Charlie just showed in his post, that may work.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Getting started
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:07 am  (#17) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 01, 2014
Posts: 11
Attachment:
gimp.jpg
gimp.jpg [ 177.49 KiB | Viewed 2246 times ]

Bingo. Thanks you two!


Top
 Post subject: Re: Getting started
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:09 am  (#18) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
This post isn't showing your tools on the left side. or did you not capture them in your screen shot.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Getting started
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:17 am  (#19) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 01, 2014
Posts: 11
No you are right. Is that just because I have an old version? It was a complete screenshot.

Perhaps I will have to "rummage around" to get all the controls.....


Top
 Post subject: Re: Getting started
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:21 am  (#20) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 161
Try opening 'device status' just below the tool options. That should give you more to work with.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group