It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 11:13 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Crashing and not opening properly
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:05 am  (#1) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8473
Location: On the other side of your screen
GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 7 Home Premium 32 bit
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
G'MIC and Script-fu

List any ERROR messages you received:
Not Responding
Can't find enough memory




My computer/laptop is nearly 3 years old. I don't consider that to be that old though.
My gimp has been acting up for a while though. Not every time that I open it does script-fu or all of the filters appear. With a couple of the newer filters in G'MIC I cannot run because it says my laptop doesn't have enough memory?
I haven't even used half of the storage and my usable RAM is 2.74 GB.
Could it have something to do with NVIDIA graphics driver stopping 4 times? - last time was 29th November 2014

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Last edited by sallyanne on Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Crashing and not opening properly
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:12 am  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Maybe you need more Memory sallyanne, Can you upgrade it to 8 GB?

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Crashing and not opening properly
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:21 am  (#3) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8473
Location: On the other side of your screen
I can probably do that later. Is gimp suddenly using more memory? I have never had this problem before, on other computers. And they would have had less RAM and storage.

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Top
 Post subject: Re: Crashing and not opening properly
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:48 am  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
in the meantime have you tried to put (in Preference) Tile Cache Size to 2GB?

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Crashing and not opening properly
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:19 am  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 04, 2011
Posts: 2615
Windows Home ?? 32 bit max usable memory will be around 3.5 MB No point installing more than 4MB.

I have old notebooks (admittedly linux) with 2 MB mem running Gimp with no problems.

Probably your laptop is choked up with junk. Virus scanners, malware scanners, IM, email, all sorts of applications running in the background.

Want to see what is going on?

Open the menu and search box (ctrl-shift-esc I think) type in task manager, start it up.

Image

Depends on the tab you look at but the above performance give a graphical indication and the applications tab and/or processes shows what is running.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Crashing and not opening properly
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:22 am  (#6) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8473
Location: On the other side of your screen
Thanx for that info rich. mine has 4GB RAM max. Will look into these things as soon as I am finished here.
Edit: Only antivirus I have is avast and it doesn't seem to be using too much right now. All my email is on the internet. I do have Spybot but I don't have it running all the time. I think the only thing apart from windows stuff that I have running in the background would be avast. That is mostly as a security measure. When I first got this laptop it had another antivirus which I had trouble getting rid of. Can't think of the name now.
Stopped using messanger years ago and I don't even keep Skype on all the time. Should I get rid of programs I don't use? I tried with a few fonts but I can't get rid of most of them because they are microsoft/windows.

Thank you dinasset, I will check but I do remember putting the memory up from where it was in gimp.
Edit: Done, it is now 2GB - had about 1,500MB before

Will try gimp now and see how it goes.
Still didn't have everything when I first opened up. Did the second time.
I tried to do something that I haven't been able to do yet....Foreground extract (interactive) and I have the latest build of G'MIC. 1.6.0.4

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Last edited by sallyanne on Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Post subject: Re: Crashing and not opening properly
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:21 am  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
Sally, let me know how it goes now
In my case that little modification helped a lot

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Crashing and not opening properly
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:31 pm  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Posts: 5127
Location: Metro Vancouver, BC
sallyanne, Have another look at, Windows Task Manager | Performance tab | CPU Usage History. If you have a multi-core processor there will be a CPU Usage History box for each processor. In Gimp go to, Edit | Preferences | Environment settings. Under, Resource Consumption | Number of processors to use, I believe the default is one. Increase this number if you have a multi-core processor.

_________________
Image
Gimp 2.8.18, Linux, median user
Gimp Chat Tutorials Index
Spirit Bear (Kermode)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Crashing and not opening properly
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:41 pm  (#9) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8473
Location: On the other side of your screen
Odinbc wrote:
sallyanne, Have another look at, Windows Task Manager | Performance tab | CPU Usage History. If you have a multi-core processor there will be a CPU Usage History box for each processor. In Gimp go to, Edit | Preferences | Environment settings. Under, Resource Consumption | Number of processors to use, I believe the default is one. Increase this number if you have a multi-core processor.

Thanks, will go look.
I have 4 boxes there
i assume that means 4 processors then?
EDIT: Mine already had '4'.

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Last edited by sallyanne on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Post subject: Re: Crashing and not opening properly
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:51 pm  (#10) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14219
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
sallyanne wrote:
Thanx for that info rich. mine has 4GB RAM max. Will look into these things as soon as I am finished here.
Edit: Only antivirus I have is avast and it doesn't seem to be using too much right now. All my email is on the internet. I do have Spybot but I don't have it running all the time. I think the only thing apart from windows stuff that I have running in the background would be avast. That is mostly as a security measure. When I first got this laptop it had another antivirus which I had trouble getting rid of. Can't think of the name now.
Stopped using messanger years ago and I don't even keep Skype on all the time. Should I get rid of programs I don't use? I tried with a few fonts but I can't get rid of most of them because they are microsoft/windows.

Thank you dinasset, I will check but I do remember putting the memory up from where it was in gimp.
Edit: Done, it is now 2GB - had about 1,500MB before

Will try gimp now and see how it goes.
Still didn't have everything when I first opened up. Did the second time.
I tried to do something that I haven't been able to do yet....Foreground extract (interactive) and I have the latest build of G'MIC. 1.6.0.4


Another thing you can do is run "Windows Disk Cleanup" and in "More Options" Choose "System Restore and Shadow Copies", to free up disk space by deleting all but the most recent restore points.
Image

Also, if you don't have CCleaner get it and run it to remove junk files that may be bogging down things.

Getting rid of programs you don't use can also help to free up disk space.

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Crashing and not opening properly
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:58 pm  (#11) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8473
Location: On the other side of your screen
Thank you Wallace. Will check a few things but won't do anything major just now. I really should go. Will check it all properly later though. Thanks again.

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Top
 Post subject: Re: Crashing and not opening properly
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:14 pm  (#12) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14219
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
sallyanne wrote:
Thank you Wallace. Will check a few things but won't do anything major just now. I really should go. Will check it all properly later though. Thanks again.

Good luck Sallyanne. Image
Let us know how things work out.

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Crashing and not opening properly
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:54 pm  (#13) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 28, 2014
Posts: 137
I haven't done anything about it yet because GIMP's on my main computer where I have high resources, but I'm wondering at the hit of more and more plugins and scripts. I pick up and install anything that looks interesting and GIMP is taking longer and longer to load.

My theory is to make a shadow GIMP install folder where I keep things I want to use later and just copy them into the live folder before starting.

It might be worth making a backup of your GIMP folder and removing all the plugins and scripts to see if that makes a difference since you can copy them back once you've checked.

_________________
Margaret McGaffey Fisk
steampunk, fantasy, science fiction, and romance author
Tales to Tide You Over


Top
 Post subject: Re: Crashing and not opening properly
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:37 pm  (#14) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14219
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
MarFisk wrote:
I haven't done anything about it yet because GIMP's on my main computer where I have high resources, but I'm wondering at the hit of more and more plugins and scripts. I pick up and install anything that looks interesting and GIMP is taking longer and longer to load.

My theory is to make a shadow GIMP install folder where I keep things I want to use later and just copy them into the live folder before starting.

It might be worth making a backup of your GIMP folder and removing all the plugins and scripts to see if that makes a difference since you can copy them back once you've checked.

That's a good idea MarFisk.
Reducing the amount of resources in Gimp's user folders has it's benefits.
However, there is something called "GURM" the GIMP Unified Resource Manager that can do all that for you. As well as other resource managers.

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Crashing and not opening properly
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:51 pm  (#15) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 28, 2014
Posts: 137
Wallace wrote:
That's a good idea MarFisk.
Reducing the amount of resources in Gimp's user folders has it's benefits.
However, there is something called "GURM" the GIMP Unified Resource Manager that can do all that for you. As well as other resource managers.


Ooh, thanks for the tip. I keep looking for a way to do it more automatically because I can't be the only one collecting too many extras :). I'll look into GURM.

_________________
Margaret McGaffey Fisk
steampunk, fantasy, science fiction, and romance author
Tales to Tide You Over


Top
 Post subject: Re: Crashing and not opening properly
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:30 pm  (#16) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8473
Location: On the other side of your screen
Done the CC Wallace. Although I stopped it during the free space wipe. (Not sure what this was) and I have more free space on my computer than used so I figured it would take longer than it already had. So I didn't get any report.....other than it is working in the background now and will let me know when the computer needs cleaning.
Now I have to get GURM. Is there any special way of adding it?

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Top
 Post subject: Re: Crashing and not opening properly
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:18 am  (#17) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
even better than GURM : addonCollectionManager, by Ofnuts

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Crashing and not opening properly
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:28 am  (#18) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14219
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
sallyanne wrote:
Done the CC Wallace. Although I stopped it during the free space wipe. (Not sure what this was) and I have more free space on my computer than used so I figured it would take longer than it already had. So I didn't get any report.....other than it is working in the background now and will let me know when the computer needs cleaning.
Now I have to get GURM. Is there any special way of adding it?

There are a few pro's to wiping free space on a computer:
1) When you delete a file, leaving some free space behind, the file isn't actually erased - only the information pointing to it is deleted so the computer doesn't see it anymore and only sees blank space ready for reuse. Obviously, this could be a security risk as it is very easy to restore these files from the hard disk even though they've been deleted. Wiping the free space works by writing a pattern of data over free space a number of times so that any file remnants that are left behind are obliterated and this makes it harder if not impossible for deleted files to be restored.
2) From the minute a hard drive is manufactured, it starts to fail but this is entirely normal. Through use the failure is monitored by the hard drive's internal systems and areas of the disk that fail to meet the performance criteria are flagged as bad sectors. A certain proportion of bad sectors are safe before the computer will alert you to the problem. But what if your computer never accesses part of the hard drive that is bad and so doesn't know about it? Free space wiping will help the hard drive detect bad sectors and flag them up as unusable.

The main downside of free space wiping is that it can be extremely time consuming on large drives. With this in mind, I've never found that the amount of time was worth spending for any of the benefits above. If security is your main concern then it may well be your only choice.

You can pick up GURM from gimpscripts.com and in the downloaded zip file you'll find a readme file that will help explain how to go about setting things up.
Here's the link below to the Gimp Unified Resource Manager...
http://gimpscripts.com/2012/10/gurm-gim ... e-manager/

It also may be a good idea to check out the addonCollectionManager, by Ofnuts as suggested by Dinasset.
You can find it at sourceforge.net using the link below...
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-to ... s/scripts/

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Crashing and not opening properly
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:07 am  (#19) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
The addon manager works great, I use it for all my brushes and fonts. Gurm is Ok but not as good, IMO

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Crashing and not opening properly
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:21 pm  (#20) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec 09, 2014
Posts: 105
Location: Cologne, Germany
Sallyanne,

my setup is similar to your.

I am running GIMP 2.8.14 here on a 4year old laptop with Win7 64bit and 4GB RAM without any problems.
I also use avast, so I don't think that this is the problem.

In the beginning, my Gimp used 200-300MB of RAM. Now it uses between 500-1GB. This is most probably due to a lot of heavy brushes I have installed, so it is a good option to move them out of your brushes directory and "move them in" when you need it. I also noticed that Gimp uses more and more memory when being used over a long time (e.g. on complete weekend day with heavy tutorial etc. working :)) and playing a lot with filters, undo/redo and other features. I don't know whether this could indicate a possible memory leak or not, and I have not tried GURM yet.

If you are running on Windows, I would try the following things:
* backup your Gimp home directory (.gimp...)
* do a clean uninstall of gimp (e.g. with REVO uninstaller, which also tries to sweep out left files not catched by the uninstallation routine)
* delete your Gimp home directory (remember the backup!)
* Use CCleaner to clean your hard disk from temp files and other "windows-paralyzing" stuff, occasionally repairing registry errors.
* See if you have enough left disk space on your windows drive.
* Check in control center -> system, whether your swap space is automatically handled by windows (recommended). The used swap space can be more than your RAM size, if needed!
* reinstall Gimp
* Start Gimp without any plugins, scripts, brushes or other addons and see whether it works and how much RAM is consumed.
* Install your addons one after another. After each, restart Gimp and check RAM consumption and whether Gimp still works, so that you have a chance to catch the erroneus plugin or whatever might lead to the system crash.

There are a lot of further tests, system enhancements etc., but I hope this will work.

dietmar

_________________
Graphics: GIMP 2.8.14 on Win7 64Bit
Screenshots: GreenShot
Color Picker: PicPick
Palette Helper: paletton.com


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group