It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 10:25 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Red pears: Complete
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:11 pm  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 31, 2015
Posts: 146
I got this sudden urge to paint pears today, so I decided to do a speed painting - but it turns out I'm disqualified because it went over the 2 hour mark, and I'm done for the night with painting. But obviously I'm going to continue it later anyway. Here's some screencaps of how far I've got so far:

The sketch:

Image

The painting at around the one hour mark:

Image

The painting at just over 2, probably touching 3 hours. I lost track at this point:

Image


* Now finished:

Image


I decided to finalize it with G'mics Paint daub filter. Not by applying it to the entire painting, because that kills way to many details. My method is to paste the filtered layer on top of the original painting, then set it to the best layer mode (in this case overlay) at around 40% opacity to keep most of the detail showing through, with some minor colour correction.

Critique any way you like.


Last edited by David-C on Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Red pears WIP
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:45 pm  (#2) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14220
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
David-C wrote:
I got this sudden urge to paint pears today, so I decided to do a speed painting - but it turns out I'm disqualified because it went over the 2 hour mark, and I'm done for the night with painting. But obviously I'm going to continue it later anyway. Here's some screencaps of how far I've got so far:

Your images seem to be posted incorrectly.

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Red pears WIP
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:22 pm  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12849
That site blocks image sharing.

Nice result.

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Red pears WIP
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:54 pm  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Founder
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 5241
Location: Gimpville
What good is a dedicated image hosting site that blocks hosted images? :smiley2

@David-C - Can you upload these images directly to GIMP Chat? We prefer to host images that are displayed here on GC because images on 3rd party hosting sites are subject to disappearing at any time.

You can use the image upload button Image or you can attach the images using the attachment feature of the board. The attachment dialog is located just below the submit button on the "Full Editor" screen.

Thanks!

_________________
“If you reach for the stars, you just might land on a decently sized hill.” - Stuart Hill


Top
 Post subject: Re: Red pears WIP
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:49 am  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 28, 2012
Posts: 3060
Location: Idk where I am.
Those are looking good enough to eat!! :D

_________________
Image
Reality is a lovely place...But I wouldn't wanna live there.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Red pears WIP
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:50 am  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 31, 2015
Posts: 146
GnuTux wrote:
What good is a dedicated image hosting site that blocks hosted images? :smiley2

@David-C - Can you upload these images directly to GIMP Chat? We prefer to host images that are displayed here on GC because images on 3rd party hosting sites are subject to disappearing at any time.

You can use the image upload button [ Image ] or you can attach the images using the attachment feature of the board. The attachment dialog is located just below the submit button on the "Full Editor" screen.

Thanks!


I'll re upload them here, but I didn't get round to this thread until now. Though the images appear when I submitted them from that host. Weird.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Red pears: Complete
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:59 am  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 31, 2015
Posts: 146
I've now uploaded all 4 images using the forums image host.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Red pears: Complete
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:47 pm  (#8) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14220
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
That came out really nice David-C, good job. :bigthup

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Red pears: Complete
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:59 pm  (#9) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Terrific, they sure look ready to eat. Kudo's David-C

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Red pears: Complete
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:30 pm  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 31, 2015
Posts: 146
I messed something up with the detail layers. Basically I applied too strong of a sharpening, causing an undesired pixel spray effect in a lot of areas. So I re-did the details from scratch, using more appropriate brushes, and a bit more refining. This time, I left the oil brush stroke texture out, so that all detail is visible. Final version:

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Red pears: Complete
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:35 pm  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
That one is really nice too but I liked your first one better. I think on your latest one, there are too many spots that don't look as real as the first one. Just my opinion. I would buy either one of them.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Red pears: Complete
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:46 pm  (#12) 
Offline
Retired Staff
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 6946
Location: Somewhere in GIMP
I'm with Molly, I like the first one best without so many spots. Excellent, David!

_________________
Image
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein


Top
 Post subject: Re: Red pears: Complete
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:05 pm  (#13) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 08, 2010
Posts: 5420
Location: Northwest Ohio
I think the spots would be ok if they were smaller and the opacity turned way down.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Red pears: Complete
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:11 pm  (#14) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 31, 2015
Posts: 146
Thanks all.

Totally agree. I overworked the revision of the detail layer, and the spots are a bit too big. The finger paint texture of the first one also makes it look more refined. I don't do as much still life as I need to. Need to get back in shape.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group