It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 5:28 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Lining a lace edge up on a path?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:26 pm  (#1) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Apr 10, 2015
Posts: 4
GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level



Hi! I have lace brushes already that I've added to my GIMP library. I am having no luck in doing a pathway and having it line up with a straight edge on the bottom. It usually does a stagger. I've tried messing with track direction, spacing, jitter, etc. and still am having no luck. Is there a way to have a lace brush have a smooth line along a curved edge? I looked at the one tutorial, but that was for creating a brush. I'd like to use the ones I have.

Thanks so much!
:) Mystic


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Lining a lace edge up on a path?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:01 pm  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Posts: 5127
Location: Metro Vancouver, BC
Try using the Path tool and stroke the path with your brush.

Image

_________________
Image
Gimp 2.8.18, Linux, median user
Gimp Chat Tutorials Index
Spirit Bear (Kermode)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Lining a lace edge up on a path?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:42 am  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Here is a good tutorial to make lace around a path and it is quite easy. viewtopic.php?p=89177#p89177

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Lining a lace edge up on a path?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:06 pm  (#4) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Apr 10, 2015
Posts: 4
Hi. :) I've followed the tutorial with the brushes I have and this is what I end up with. I can't get the brush to be clear. Just looks like a blur.

Thanks!


Attachments:
Test.png
Test.png [ 52 KiB | Viewed 4302 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: Lining a lace edge up on a path?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:30 pm  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
From what I can see, you should have used a lighter background or a brighter color for the lace and you should check your spacing before you run the lace path. Try going through the tutorial again, step by step then if it doesn't work out again, post your xcf as an attachment.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Lining a lace edge up on a path?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:27 pm  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
Definitely stroking with a brush is the way to go. Created a simple yarn brush a long time ago. I stroked, desat, and screened (last two steps to make it white). :)


Attachments:
yarnbrush.jpg
yarnbrush.jpg [ 128.02 KiB | Viewed 4288 times ]

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image
Top
 Post subject: Re: Lining a lace edge up on a path?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:52 pm  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
Good memory conbagui; completely forgot about this one. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Lining a lace edge up on a path?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:36 pm  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
That script doesn't allow you to use your own lace that I can see. I think I have the correct script version but the only options are to change color.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Lining a lace edge up on a path?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:37 pm  (#9) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Apr 10, 2015
Posts: 4
I've attached my XCF file. I didn't do the background parts of the tutorial as I was just wanting the lace piece. I understand the shadow etc. I'm wondering if somehow I need to change the 'hardness' of the brush to get it clear?

Thanks!


Attachments:
MysticTestFile.xcf [343.61 KiB]
Downloaded 95 times
Top
 Post subject: Re: Lining a lace edge up on a path?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:13 pm  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
I used my lace brush and I did it by just stroking and it turned out fine.
I attached my XCF below too.
After you do the text, go to alpha to selection > Select NONE > then select to path
Use the lace brush I attached below and paint and change the spacing until you get the edges to touch but not over-lap., then go to paths, use this icon at the bottom :pap then change the tool to paintbrush click stroke. DONE
Image


Attachments:
Lace Brush roundes.gbr.zip [4.82 KiB]
Downloaded 85 times
MysticTestFile2.xcf [424.17 KiB]
Downloaded 79 times

_________________
Image
Top
 Post subject: Re: Lining a lace edge up on a path?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:33 pm  (#11) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Apr 10, 2015
Posts: 4
Thank you all. I did get it to work with the doily brush like you did Molly. I just can't seem to get it to work clearly with any other lace brush I have. I'll go give this a try and see what I get.

:)Thank you!


Top
 Post subject: Re: Lining a lace edge up on a path?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:46 pm  (#12) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
If you change the brush size larger or smaller, depending on the size of your text might help too.
I will try it with the other lace brush and see what happens.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Lining a lace edge up on a path?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:56 pm  (#13) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
After you make your text, alpha to selection > select to path and then duplicate your black text. To to path, use your paint tool to paint. and make sure you resize your brush to your taste and try it out until you get your spacing so it is just touching the one beside it and then hit stroke
Image

This one done with Molly's pearl to stroke
Image

_________________
Image


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group