It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 4:51 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: How to get a Light animation effect on a shape perimeter
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:31 pm  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 22, 2015
Posts: 12
GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Mac OS
OS Version: 10.10.1
GIMP Experience: New User



Hello to all.

I am a new member of this community looking for an effect that would result in something like this:
http://i.imgur.com/ilpFCtv.jpg

Actually what I would like to do is to create a black background with an animated light that shapes a circle, so the circle gets defined by the light as it moves around the edge, and the final image, (once the light has completed the circle) looks like one of those sunrising pictures over the earth taken from the space. Something like this:

Image

Could anyone help or direct me to the right place to learn how to do it in gimp?

So far I only get hints on how to that in photoshop: http://abduzeedo.com/playing-timeline-photoshop-cs6



Thank you!


Last edited by Zenity on Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: How to get a Light animation effect on a shape perimeter
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:36 pm  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 22, 2015
Posts: 12
Forgot to ask an important question.

Would that be possible to do on text as well?

I mean an animation of an "invisible text" in a dark background that will actually show, as the light animation effect goes through it.

Sorry if I cannot make myself clear, it is kind of hard to describe what I really want to to.


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to get a Light animation effect on a shape perimeter
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:35 pm  (#3) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16175
Zenity wrote:
Forgot to ask an important question.

Would that be possible to do on text as well?

I mean an animation of an "invisible text" in a dark background that will actually show, as the light animation effect goes through it.

Sorry if I cannot make myself clear, it is kind of hard to describe what I really want to to.

I think i understand what you need. You want to create text that only shows when an animated light passes along its length?


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to get a Light animation effect on a shape perimeter
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:48 pm  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 24, 2014
Posts: 137
Location: New York
You want to make a streak of light that orbits around a sphere, correct? It is possible, just gonna take some work.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to get a Light animation effect on a shape perimeter
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:21 pm  (#5) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Apr 23, 2010
Posts: 1553
Location: not from Guildford after all
I'm not sure I understand, but is your intent something like this:
Attachment:
tracer.gif
tracer.gif [ 104.36 KiB | Viewed 5733 times ]

_________________
Any sufficiently primitive technology is indistinguishable from a rock.


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to get a Light animation effect on a shape perimeter
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:55 am  (#6) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Apr 23, 2010
Posts: 1553
Location: not from Guildford after all
Attachment:
tracer-text.gif
tracer-text.gif [ 24.31 KiB | Viewed 5708 times ]

_________________
Any sufficiently primitive technology is indistinguishable from a rock.


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to get a Light animation effect on a shape perimeter
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:40 am  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14198
Location: Spain, Aragón
Great effects all of them. Please, I'd like to learn to do them (all). Could you tell me where I should go to learn to do that? Thank you so much. :tyspin

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.


Last edited by Issabella on Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Post subject: Re: How to get a Light animation effect on a shape perimeter
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:43 am  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 22, 2015
Posts: 12
Yup! That's it!

You all got the idea!

This place is amazing, I feel like a kid on Xmas!



So my next question is:
How do I get that done?

I imagine that adding extra glow intensity at some point of the light trajectory would be possible as well...

I am SUPER-grateful to you all.

Let's make it happen! yay!


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to get a Light animation effect on a shape perimeter
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:29 am  (#9) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 22, 2015
Posts: 12
Rod wrote:
I think i understand what you need. You want to create text that only shows when an animated light passes along its length?


As per the text part, yes, is that but I want the text to keep showing once the light has passed along, so the effect would be like "showing for the first time as the light brings it from the darkness but once is has passed through each letter it does keep glowing as if it was part of the light"

Pretty much like the circle animation with the light moving at its edge Saulgoode made.

Do I make any sense?


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to get a Light animation effect on a shape perimeter
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:08 am  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
You could also try this tutorial by Fencepost on how to animate light across text.
viewtopic.php?p=15178#p15178

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to get a Light animation effect on a shape perimeter
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:17 pm  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 22, 2015
Posts: 12
Some references I have found online that serves me as an inspirational sources to the effects I would like to get in the animation working with gimp:

Inspirational For the circle:

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com


Inspirational for the text effect (replacing the smoke of "suscribe today" with a stroke of light)

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com


Last edited by Zenity on Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Post subject: Re: How to get a Light animation effect on a shape perimeter
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:19 pm  (#12) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 22, 2015
Posts: 12
Thanks Molly! I will check it out. ;-)


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to get a Light animation effect on a shape perimeter
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:13 am  (#13) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14198
Location: Spain, Aragón
Thanks Molly and Zenity for your links and videos. I'll try it too. :tyspin

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to get a Light animation effect on a shape perimeter
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:46 am  (#14) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 22, 2015
Posts: 12
Okay, so now it is time to give it a try.

I think the text part is pretty much covered with the tutorial Fencepost made.
It is not exactly what I am looking for but pretty close.

Is there any tutorial or guide on how to make the effect on the circle on gimp?

saulgoode wrote:
I'm not sure I understand, but is your intent something like this:
Attachment:
tracer.gif


saulgoode wrote:
Attachment:
tracer-text.gif


Thank you all for your graphic examples, your understanding and your contributions. Highly appreciated!


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to get a Light animation effect on a shape perimeter
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:15 am  (#15) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 22, 2015
Posts: 12
Found this tutorial online.

Requires the use of Blender ( for video edition) + gimp:

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com


And a tutorial on how to get animated gifs using blender + gimp:

http://unrealtutorials.com/gimp-tutorial-animated-gif/


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to get a Light animation effect on a shape perimeter
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:19 am  (#16) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Apr 23, 2010
Posts: 1553
Location: not from Guildford after all
Well, I used the GIMP Animation Package (GAP) to do mine. Here is another example with a background and a fadeout on the text.

Image

_________________
Any sufficiently primitive technology is indistinguishable from a rock.


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to get a Light animation effect on a shape perimeter
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:00 am  (#17) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 22, 2015
Posts: 12
Thanks for sharing!
I need to get the GAP, package.


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to get a Light animation effect on a shape perimeter
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:18 am  (#18) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Here is a link but someone who has Mac might be able to walk you through installing GAP on Mac.
http://www.math.colostate.edu/~hulpke/osx/gaposx.html
another link to a Mac forum on how to install GAP
How to Install GAP on MAC

_________________
Image


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group