It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 12:33 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: gmic-1.6.5.0_pre-win64 PROBLEMS?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:35 pm  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
Maybe I have to face a lot of problems using Gimp-GMIC on this PC.
The new one is the following:
- installed the new gmic 1.6.5.0
all my filters which have inside the statement repeat @# crash on that statement, which looks ununderstandable by the new version
- restored 1.6.4.0 and everything works again OK

???

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: gmic-1.6.5.0_pre-win64 PROBLEMS?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:13 pm  (#2) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Dec 27, 2014
Posts: 508
@# means number of images in G'MIC .. ie. number of layers in Gimp
Check that you have set "Input layers" to "Active (default)" and not "All"


Top
 Post subject: Re: gmic-1.6.5.0_pre-win64 PROBLEMS?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:25 pm  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
thanks Jonathan, but -before reinstalling the new version- I made this check on the "old" 1.6.4:
- open an image with one layer
- open G'MIC one of my filters
- set input layers to "all"
- no error!
which seems to indicate that at least something has changed from 1.6.4 to 1.6.5, because the "iteration" on "all" layers was accepted until 1.6.4 even if only one layer was present
I stay on 1.6.4 until fixed (if it has to be fixed)

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: gmic-1.6.5.0_pre-win64 PROBLEMS?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:37 pm  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Sep 24, 2012
Posts: 275
Location: Scotland
Hi dinasset

It's because the G'MIC substitution rules have been changed for the latest version:

The most apparent changes are to do with the "@" symbol, for example:
@# is now $!
@{indice,feature} is now just {indice,feature}
@{} is now ${}


and so on. The official included filters have all been updated by David but of course any local files will need to be done by yourself (I forgot about mine too :) )


Top
 Post subject: Re: gmic-1.6.5.0_pre-win64 PROBLEMS?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:46 pm  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
Thanks GC!
I understand, but I have a related question now: if I change all my filters to use the new $! instead of @# do they remain backward compatible with systems running previous versions of G'MIC?

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: gmic-1.6.5.0_pre-win64 PROBLEMS?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:04 pm  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Sep 24, 2012
Posts: 275
Location: Scotland
Sadly the changes aren't backward compatible, so probably most filters for 1.6.5.0 and later won't work on older versions. I do agree it needs to be done though, the substitution stuff can be quite tricky and hard to understand - it's like a symbolic macro system. Even after this update they are still strange!


Top
 Post subject: Re: gmic-1.6.5.0_pre-win64 PROBLEMS?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:06 pm  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
thanks GC
so very likely I will prepare two sets of my filters: one able to work up to 1.6.4, the other one from 1.6.5 on

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: gmic-1.6.5.0_pre-win64 PROBLEMS?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:18 pm  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
...and glad to hear from you (one of the first coder of G'MIC filters) that the syntax is "strange": the extreme research of a compact language brought to abstruse codes, in my opinion to let G'MIC be understandable it would be necessary to create also for those sincretic symbols an extended version, so the coder can use -like for many other commands- the long formula instead of the short symbol; just as an example for this symbol (old @#, now $!) there could be also a "plain" "for_each_obj" equivalent statement (or similar expression)

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: gmic-1.6.5.0_pre-win64 PROBLEMS?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:38 pm  (#9) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Sep 24, 2012
Posts: 275
Location: Scotland
Well maybe -repeat could be allowed without any parameter, which would assume the current number of images $! (perhaps there's a good reason this can't be done).

That aside, I've often wished for a "code expander" to translate any gmic script to it's long form; it could really help with debugging. There are lots of lexers which could do the job, in theory it could even be done in gmic script... but somebody must have the motivation ;)


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group