It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 5:35 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Gimp locks up when i open 3.9 GB at once
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:14 pm  (#1) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Nov 11, 2015
Posts: 4
GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: win 7 64 bit
GIMP Experience: Basic Level



I have 12 gb ram
Where can i change a setting to allow me to open more than 3.9 gb worth of layers at once?

I'm trying to open a time lapse sequence shot in full res on my t5i.


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp locks up when i open 3.9 GB at once
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:28 pm  (#2) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: May 07, 2014
Posts: 4561
Location: Canada
I have never done this.
But you can try going into Edit->Preferences->Environment and try upping the Tile Cache Size

_________________
Image
Visualize your and others dreams coming true.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp locks up when i open 3.9 GB at once
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:30 pm  (#3) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Nov 11, 2015
Posts: 4
trandoductin wrote:
I have never done this.
But you can try going into Edit->Preferences->Environment and try upping the Tile Cache Size


I saw that this was something that people had done before.
It was set to 5 GB already.
I upped it to 8 and it still happens.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp locks up when i open 3.9 GB at once
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:32 pm  (#4) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Nov 11, 2015
Posts: 4
The jpgs total 494 mb of disk space in the folder.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp locks up when i open 3.9 GB at once
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:36 pm  (#5) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
piscea wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: win 7 64 bit
GIMP Experience: Basic Level



I have 12 gb ram
Where can i change a setting to allow me to open more than 3.9 gb worth of layers at once?

I'm trying to open a time lapse sequence shot in full res on my t5i.

Are you running the 32-bit or the 64-bit version?

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp locks up when i open 3.9 GB at once
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:59 pm  (#6) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Nov 11, 2015
Posts: 4
ofnuts wrote:
Are you running the 32-bit or the 64-bit version?


I see no where to verify this.
I just did a full installation.
To make sure I just uninstalled and reinstalled and was never given an option to choose a version. it does give an option to include support for 32bit plugins so i can only infer that it is installing 64 automatically, as that's what the download page says it does:

gimp download page wrote:
This link downloads the official GIMP installer for Windows directly from (url removed. thanks spam filter.) The installer contains both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of GIMP, and will install the appropriate one.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp locks up when i open 3.9 GB at once
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:35 pm  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 16, 2015
Posts: 613
Location: On Earth,specifically Queensland,Australia
Perhaps the system needs more ram to run and can't handle Gimp needing so much.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp locks up when i open 3.9 GB at once
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:05 pm  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
3.9Gbytes? Seriously? I don't think any standard editor can handle an image that is larger than a movie on a DVD. You might have to go command line to edit your image. The name of the opensource CL program escapes me at the moment but there is one that can handle huge graphic files and perform basic operations to them such as blur and sharpen. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp locks up when i open 3.9 GB at once
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:21 pm  (#9) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Posts: 5127
Location: Metro Vancouver, BC
Lyle probably means the much better options, ImageMagick and GraphicsMagick
Most of these scripts can be used with both program, Fred's ImageMagick Scripts

_________________
Image
Gimp 2.8.18, Linux, median user
Gimp Chat Tutorials Index
Spirit Bear (Kermode)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp locks up when i open 3.9 GB at once
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:56 pm  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
Forgot about ImageMagicK Odin, but that's not the program that I'm thinking of. Still, I bet ImageMagicK can handle these huge file sizes too. I wonder if G'MIC command line can handle images of this size as well? :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp locks up when i open 3.9 GB at once
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:45 am  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 24, 2010
Posts: 504
Location: Western Vic Australia
Have you tried Control panel/System and Security/System/Advanced System Settings/Performance--settings/Advanced /Virtual Memory--Change/Custom Size-- and plug in recommended settings? No guarantees. Gimp's usage of memory tiles and Window's Virtual memory/ handling of Gimp memory tiles/blocks has been a mystery for a long time and has always been a cause of concern.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp locks up when i open 3.9 GB at once
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:16 am  (#12) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Apr 23, 2010
Posts: 1553
Location: not from Guildford after all
piscea wrote:
I'm trying to open a time lapse sequence shot in full res on my t5i.

Use the GAP (GIMP Animation Package).

_________________
Any sufficiently primitive technology is indistinguishable from a rock.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group