It is currently Wed Oct 07, 2026 2:48 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Gimp+G'MIC : open challenges
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:46 am  (#21) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
only to recall this challenge

Attachment:
1979_Dia_194_SG2.png
1979_Dia_194_SG2.png [ 3.65 MiB | Viewed 2093 times ]

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp+G'MIC : open challenges
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:18 am  (#22) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
Hi all G'MIC gurus!
Lyle told me he asked sometimes ago the same thing without success, but maybe now there is an open possibility
what about creating a G'MIC filter able to create from a given input image the corresponding 3d wireframe view?
something like this image found on Google
Attachment:
stock-photo-high-resolution-concept-or-conceptual-d-wireframe-human-female-head-isolated-on-black-background-115997821.jpg
stock-photo-high-resolution-concept-or-conceptual-d-wireframe-human-female-head-isolated-on-black-background-115997821.jpg [ 59.88 KiB | Viewed 2016 times ]

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp+G'MIC : open challenges
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:07 pm  (#23) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
Trust me Diego; if it was simple, I'm sure David or someone else would have already done so. You can already create wireframes for 3D objects rendered in G'MIC, but you are asking to do the same for a bitmap. That's a pretty tough challenge I'm sure. Still, I would definitely like this if it can be done. :)


Attachments:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 55.48 KiB | Viewed 1985 times ]

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image
Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp+G'MIC : open challenges
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:23 am  (#24) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
Lyle,
I'm convinced it's really difficult, but my implied question to G'MIC gurus is: is it IMPOSSIBLE?
(...hopefully not, given the power of G'mic))

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp+G'MIC : open challenges
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:32 am  (#25) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 03, 2011
Posts: 1656
It would require the retrieval of 3d information (at least 'depth') from a single 2d image, which is something almost impossible right now. It's not specific to G'MIC, that is *theoretically* impossible :)
There are few research work that tackled this problem (like "shape from shading"), but they work only with very specific images, as the pixel values of your images must be at least related to the 3d info you are trying to reconstruct.
For usual 2d color images, nothing can be done.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp+G'MIC : open challenges
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:49 am  (#26) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
OK, thanks David, understood.

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp+G'MIC : open challenges
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:42 am  (#27) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
David,
what is your opinion if the goal is changed from 3d to 2d wireframe?
Lyle is experimenting a mix of G'mic filters to approach a wireframe output.
Maybe with a good combination of the capabilities of some of them something nice can come out.
For instance: Engrave is quite able to follow the main lines of the silhouette, if a net effect could be added (Delaunay style?) to simulate wireframe....

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp+G'MIC : open challenges
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:16 pm  (#28) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 03, 2011
Posts: 1656
2d is another story. In this case, you can use the Artistic / Polygonize [delaunay] filter :

Attachment:
gmic_delaunay.png
gmic_delaunay.png [ 230.29 KiB | Viewed 1904 times ]


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp+G'MIC : open challenges
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:21 pm  (#29) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
Yes, David, it's what Lyle (and myself) started from, but some improvement in the specific direction of wireframe (squares, for instance, instead of triangles) and more attention to the main relevant contours/significant lines (like Engrave does, for instance) could be interesting...

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp+G'MIC : open challenges
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:37 pm  (#30) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
using Delaunay

Attachment:
DSCF1624-delaunay.png
DSCF1624-delaunay.png [ 877.65 KiB | Viewed 1899 times ]


using Engrave

Attachment:
DSCF1624-engrave.png
DSCF1624-engrave.png [ 367.95 KiB | Viewed 1899 times ]


"combining" the characteristics of the two (and changing triangles into squares for D.) could maybe provide a somehow wireframed output...

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp+G'MIC : open challenges
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:10 pm  (#31) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
OK diego; this is the best I can do. Turns out elevation can do a pretty good job (either with straight image or convoluted image that I actually did). :)

Attachment:
settings.png
settings.png [ 315.5 KiB | Viewed 2028 times ]


Attachments:
Tithonia.jpg
Tithonia.jpg [ 1.6 MiB | Viewed 2028 times ]

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image
Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp+G'MIC : open challenges
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:46 pm  (#32) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Sep 24, 2012
Posts: 275
Location: Scotland
OK lyle's various images convinced me to look at this wireframe thing :hehe
If anyone is feeling brave I've left an extremely hacky filter in testing -> garagecoder -> Wiremap

I'll clean it up at some point but the chances for now are things will break and people will scream, so be prepared!

note: hopefully be available for filter refresh within next 30 mins but the update schedule is a mystery to me...


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp+G'MIC : open challenges
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:31 pm  (#33) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
Checked after refresh but do not see wiremap GC. Not sure if you decided to remove it or not. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp+G'MIC : open challenges
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:38 pm  (#34) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Sep 24, 2012
Posts: 275
Location: Scotland
I'm not sure how David's worked the update mechanism but it seems to have a mind of it's own!

I haven't removed it, chances are it will appear once I've given up waiting :roll:

I even updated to pre-release 1.6.9 but it's not showing for me yet either. The update is definitely there on github though :yup

Edit: filter is there now, bear in mind it's incredibly rough and can of course be improved! Bed time for me now though.


Last edited by garagecoder on Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp+G'MIC : open challenges
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:58 pm  (#35) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
Thanks for the update GC; I'll keep checking until the animation is no more. lol

:)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp+G'MIC : open challenges
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:02 pm  (#36) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
Pretty cool GC. Much more friendlier than the way I'm doing them now. Has an issue with an object on a transparent background though (result is a transparent blank). Maybe future version can handle color too (do I asketh for too mucheth? lol). :)


Attachments:
Tithoniawf.png
Tithoniawf.png [ 151.33 KiB | Viewed 1970 times ]

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image
Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp+G'MIC : open challenges
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:38 am  (#37) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
excellent, GC!
I got a nice result

Attachment:
2015-08-19_DSCF1624-GCwire.JPG
2015-08-19_DSCF1624-GCwire.JPG [ 1.54 MiB | Viewed 1962 times ]

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp+G'MIC : open challenges
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:16 am  (#38) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
combined Engrave and the new GC Wiremap
forced one-thread on GC Wiremap to avoid artifacts

Attachment:
DSCF1624-wireframe-myway_Engrave-GCwiremap.png
DSCF1624-wireframe-myway_Engrave-GCwiremap.png [ 329.25 KiB | Viewed 1955 times ]

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp+G'MIC : open challenges
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:41 am  (#39) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Sep 24, 2012
Posts: 275
Location: Scotland
A quick note about "wiremap" - the alpha channel bug should be fixed with the next filter update (within 2 hours I hope). I notice multiply blend with colour layers can be interesting so I'll be having a look at that later, along with any other bugs/ideas. Got a busy day ahead though so it'll have to wait a bit!


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp+G'MIC : open challenges
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:36 am  (#40) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
waiting for the improvements to your excellent filter, GC...

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group