It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2026 11:14 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Windows Cortana
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:36 am  (#1) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8472
Location: On the other side of your screen
Does anyone know how to get rid of this. I'm sure i don't use it and only noticed today looking at my task manager just after turning my lap top on, being idle it was still using a lot of cpu!
I just looked online and it seems it cannot be disabled.

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Windows Cortana
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:34 am  (#2) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
Possible solution: https://www.howtogeek.com/265027/how-to ... indows-10/
Sure-fire solution: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Windows Cortana
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:41 am  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
When idle, Cortana uses 0% of CPU (it only occupies Memory)

Attachment:
Cattura.PNG
Cattura.PNG [ 43.59 KiB | Viewed 3689 times ]

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Windows Cortana
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:20 am  (#4) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8472
Location: On the other side of your screen
@ ofnuts. lol yes, I am going to do something like that but when I get a new computer. :) Thanks for the links.
@ dinasset I went back and had a look and mine was using the cpu not memory. :) By idle I meant I hadn't turned on the internet yet. No other programs except what comes on at startup. Might be because it was still starting up? Anyway I don't want it and I have looked around, most people are unhappy with the addon/app which was thrust upon us with windows 10.
I was hoping it was a program that I could delete but it not in the programs list.

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Top
 Post subject: Re: Windows Cortana
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:27 am  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Oct 30, 2016
Posts: 145
ofnuts wrote:


Unfortunately, MS stopped that hack to the registry, it no longer works.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Windows Cortana
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:49 am  (#6) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
Wit the "pro" version, the "policy" hack should still work (otherwise there would be a lot of very powerful and irate corporate customers).

A solution is to rename the executable, but it's a bit radical (and breaks local search as well).

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Windows Cortana
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:59 am  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
Sallyanne, I think you're right to wait until you have a new computer.
On my PC every time I click CtrAltCanc (IT) to get the list of running activities, Cortana occupies 0% CPU; my PC is approx one year old. I've always the internet connection active. Cortana comes on only when clicking on bottom left Win key (then Cortana says: "ask me something", but I do not use it)

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Windows Cortana
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:10 am  (#8) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14217
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
Here's another link to howtogeek.com.
At the bottom of this post.
Explaining why after disabling Cortana,
it's still running in the background and How-to geek's solution.

I disabled it,
as well as the Indexing service and reamed the folder,
Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy.
Wherein lies the SearchUI.exe related to Cortana.
By adding an additional "Y" to the end of the folder name.

As you can see from my Task-manager screenshot,
Cortana is no longer showing up in my Task-manager.
It also doesn't run in the background any longer.

Image

I've confirmed this by running the program Autoruns and anything related to Cortana,
isn't running any longer.

Why Is Cortana Still Running in the Background After You Disable It?

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Windows Cortana
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:41 am  (#9) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8472
Location: On the other side of your screen
Thank you everyone for your answers. :)

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Top
 Post subject: Re: Windows Cortana
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:54 am  (#10) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
Don't you find it weird that we are now in a time where computers are really evolving backwards and people cling to their existing stuff as long as they can (be it WinXP, Win7, the last version of the MacBook Pro where you can still change the batteries, the last waterproof Moto G that fits in a pocket...). All the new stuff I have seen recently has very little added value for me and a lot of added value for the company that sells it.

In the same distressing vein, a linguist doing a study of words frequency in Google docs found that we are no longer talking about "progress" but only of "innovation", and this happened at the same time in all western languages (French, English...). In Russian it happened after the fall of the Iron Curtain. For thos who read French: http://www.pourlascience.fr/ewb_pages/a ... -38081.php

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Windows Cortana
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:15 pm  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
Ofnuts, your underlined change in wording (from "progress" to "innovation") is unfortunately true also in the human relationships: a lot of "innovations" but no more "progresses", alas!...

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Windows Cortana
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:43 pm  (#12) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14217
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
dinasset wrote:
Ofnuts, your underlined change in wording (from "progress" to "innovation") is unfortunately true also in the human relationships: a lot of "innovations" but no more "progresses", alas!...

It seems to be the same case,
when it comes to Intel CPU's.

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Windows Cortana
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:25 pm  (#13) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 13, 2016
Posts: 83
I did the registry hack when Windows 10 first came out. It's still working fine on my AMD machine with Windows 10 Home Edition. Cortana went on a permanent vacation! :hehe

_________________
Image


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group